Going Data-free

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by bogo • May 10, 2016.

1. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    With WiFi so widely accessible, have you ever considered getting rid of your mobile data? In Canada data is crazy expensive, and I save about 30 bucks every month by not subscribing to mobile data. I pay 40 a month for my phone, while many friends pay over 100. It's really not that hard to go without data!

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pay 40 dollars every 3 months for my phone. I rarely use the data that comes with my phone. I nearly always have some version of wifi available which really helps alot in terms of the amount of data I use. I think it is just smart to try to minimize your phone data so you don;t end up costing yourself an arm and a leg.

3. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    I assume you don't live in Canada? That is a great price for cell phone service.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would be great if every city in the world installs a free public wifi so that wherever you go, you can have access to quality Internet services. This helps citizens save up on mobile data and costs related to your mobile phone maintenance. If you are a prepaid user and there's no free wifi in your area, the best option would be to subscribe to data plans that last for a month or more. They usually offer 1GB of games and more than 300 MB of data usage.

5. bogo

bogoMember

Threads:
    In a perfect world that would be great, but the greed of the big telecom companies would never have this. They would lobby night and day and never let it happen. it's sad but true.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well telecom companies won't shoulder the expenses of the public. It's like this. The government allocates a budget every month for the operation and maintenance of public WiFis. This budget would already include bills to be paid to telecom companies responsible for operating and maintaining public WiFi areas. It's that simple. However, not all governments consider the Internet as an indispensable human need in this day and age.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I can't envision going data free due to the fact that Wi-Fi services are not accessible in most places where I live. I also use a small device for my web obligations which means I consume less data bundles. It has a small screen and its not a touchscreen. 10MB can last of for up to 3 days of heavy browsing.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I rarely use mobile data. However, when I am on the road I am mostly without the service unless I may visit an Institution that offers free WIFI. My thinking is that I don't want to pay double for the service in having to pay for the WIFI and Mobile Data at the same time. There were a number of WIFI hotspots around the city but I have noticed that they have restricted the use to because I am no longer allowed to use features like Whatsapp anymore.

9. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I've put serious thought into this. To have a phone number, you do have to have data, right? If I could have a phone number without data, I would probably take the plunge. Because I am always at home. And if out shopping, the stores I go to have wifi.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think you have a type-o here. Did you mean to say "to have a phone number, you do NOT have to have data". If this is the case, you are correct of course, and phone numbers existed long before data plans were out there. I do not have a data plan, but there were times when it would have been convenient to just have a little bit, when I was in a crunch, but other than that getting WiFi is usually pretty easy Of course that also depends on where you live too.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped with the data. If I need it badly enough while out, I'll find internet or go without. I do not like being connected when I leave the house and I have all the connection I need when I'm home.

12. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    After thinking this over, I think I know that I would not go without the data plan. My reason is that I want my phone to be able to call out from no matter what remote area I am at, in order to get help with things such as a flat tire. If I was relying on wifi, I would have to hope that there would be an open wifi in range during a catastrophy. I live out in the country and it is likely that there would be no wifi while driving here and there. So I will stick with my data plan.

13. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon Who is your provider? I think you said before you have a pay as you go program?

I don't currently have a cell phone plan/service, although I do have a smart phone. At some point in the future, I would like to have at least some sort of minimal service, for those road emergencies others have mentioned. There is wifi available at some places I go, but it's definitely limited where I live. I don't need cell service most of the time, but I would like to have it for those times when the power (and thus my router and wifi) go out, as well as a few other instances.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    The main reason going data free doesn't work for me is for using my phone (GPS) in the car. But otherwise, I have a very small data package, and we have a pre-paid plan that is half the price of our previous subscription with Verizon. We cut our cell phone bill (for two people) from $150 a month to $70 and we get more data on the new plan. Only drawback is no free phones.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use tracfone @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. Rather than pay as you go, maybe I should have referred to it as no contract cellphone. I like it because the phone cards are good for 3 months. I mean smartphone privliges for 15 dollars per month is quite affordable, I think the only other one that comes close is Straight Talk. Tracfone has a bring your own device plan, so you don't necessarily have to buy one of their phones to participate.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had Net-10 before, which I believe was or is a part of Tracfone. I would be bringing my own device, assuming it would work with their plan. By the way, a friend was recently doing research on various companies and plans, and it seems Straight Talk has a pretty horrendous track record as far as customer service. It sounded similar to what I've been dealing with via my home service provider, and I definitely don't want to replicate that situation. I think the Walmart cell phone services (Family Talk or something like that) has a better reputation, although my friend ended up choosing T-Mobile. Incidentally, he's having a lot of service issues with T-Mobile, and is considering switching back to Sprint. I can't afford a plan right now, but Tracfone is one I'll look into when the time comes, thanks for the info @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I would love a situation where WiFi can easily be accessed everywhere I go because of its significant economic advantages. At the moment I am on data and the cost is enormous compared to when I was on home WiFi. I spend around $30 a month on data to keep me online in a month. I am still careful how I play videos so as not to exhaust the data at once. When I was using WiFi my mind was at rest, cost was just $10 a month, I could decide turn my computer to TV without fear of data usage.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We are passing through a data war among the big telecom companies. Reliance JIO has offered a scheme which is providing a 4 G SIM card absolutely free with unlimited data access until December 31st to add new members They have a target of adding 150 million new subscribers which they will achieve easily by the end of this month. They have offered a data plan @$0.80 per GB from January 1st when the current free scheme is over.

19. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do like the idea. WiFi is becoming popular these days and now it is present in public places like bus depot, railway stations, offices etc. I think a lot of people enjoy these free services. Data is not cheap here so I think I should explore this opportunity further.

But here the issue is that due to overwhelming response from users data speed is not that much as expected. However, some of them are planning to increase the daily quota. Another thing is privacy. You can’t enjoy movies in open space due to a lot of disturbances, but yes you can download and see it later. Open usage is particularly ideal for social networking.