Giveaways on Facebook: Are They Legit?

Discussion in Facebook Offers started by RomanAnthonysMama • Aug 31, 2013.

1. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of them are dodgy started by pages to generate publicity and likes to their pages. These pages are then often sold on quickly once they've gathered a massive amount of likes and the new owners have no idea of the bad publicity their page will have for not fulfilling giveaways previously.

Some of them are legit giveaways though - look for ones posted by seemingly established pages, or by companies. If they're posted by companies and they link to a legitimate company website, then most of the time they will be real. :)

2. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    I think most offers are scam or not really free, but they intend to get people interested into them. Sometimes there can be a legit giveaway, especially if it's from a big company that doesn't want to ruin it's reputation with spam, but they are rare, since normally people don't like to give stuff away for free.

3. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    Some are, some are not. I saw that some December challenges had in their standards draw dates close early to January yet specified it could take such a large number of days to affirm wins then 4-6 weeks to have prizes conveyed. The patrons are either needing additional time amid Christmas/occasion retail season or simply telling participants in advance that they'll be holding up, which smells fishy. That's how most of the FB contests work tho.

4. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I've always stayed away from those. I think that they all come across a little scammy to my. Although, I have heard that some were pretty legit.

5. thinker013

thinker013New Member

Threads:
    Some are real, some aren't. If it's a reputable company that you know, and it's on their company page, it's more than likely real; however, you have to keep in mind that if it's on a company's Facebook, they can have anywhere from a hundred thousand to over a million people seeing and entering so your odds of winning aren't the best.

I can personally vouch for Little Tikes Facebook giveaways. We won a Big Dog Truck for our son from them on Facebook. You had to like the post, fill out your information, and share the post to enter to win. We went the extra step that wasn't required, but if they have extra steps that aren't required but you do them, it really grabs their attention, and posted a picture of our son with our dog. Two days later we got an e-mail telling us we won and asked us to verify our information. Two weeks later we received it in the mail and my son LOVES it.

Even if it's not a big company that you know and trust doesn't mean it's not real. If it's something that you really would like to win, do a little research on the company or blog that is offering it. It won't hurt to try, just don't give information you aren't comfortable giving them. If they require your phone number and you aren't comfortable giving it to this company you aren't really sure about, then skip that one.

6. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    I do have to share this. I am living proof that you can win on Facebook. I won from a company named Lifetime Products, Inc. a 8 ft. table and 8 folding chairs. The contest was being held just prior to Thanksgiving about 3 years ago. You had to write what you would use the table and chairs for. So I entered and I won! The table and chairs were shipped to me free of charge! It was awesome. I would have never believed that a person could win a thing on Facebook until that happen to me. I have not won anything since and I do enter certain contests because you never know. I think a person just needs to be careful what information you are giving out and read the small print before clicking send. I always read the rules and regulations before I commit myself to anything!

7. Lexus1

Lexus1New Member

Threads:
    I am no expert...I am very cautious of what I like and share. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is! (old ancient saying....) I do enter contests, but I am finding that you really need to read the fine print...because that is where people run into problems, when they don't read the fine print.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's a good way for them to get lots of info about you and to get your like and to have you promoting them -- x thousands for the amount of people who also want to win. So, some of them really have not much to pay for when they give away one or a few products. In this way, it's less suspicious. But some of them also scam, and then it's even cheaper for them -- but it's silly, because they're building a bad rep.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends to be honest. Some of them aren't scams. They are legit. However a big percentage are. It depends on a number of things. Normally if you read the ad you can tell if its going to be a scam. I don't tend to bother with them. But my mum did win a TV from Facebook, so not all of them can be scams.

10. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think most offers and giveaways on Facebook would be a scam, just like they are on any site on the internet basically. I don't judge too quickly though because I know there are genuine ones out there, but I always think that people do giveaways to benefit from them and not just make users benefit, that's one thing to keep in mind. Genuine ones tend to benefit from the giveaways they make, whether it is traffic or popularity.

11. ionlyloveyou89

ionlyloveyou89New Member

Threads:
    These are VERY real. I have won multiple times as well as many of my friends.

12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    This method is used here too, we have people who create such a page and they make a few contests, and after that, they sell the page. I think this is legit, but there some people who make a contest but they don't offer the prize and that is not nice from their part.

13. Punit

PunitNew Member

Threads:
    i won many prizes from facebook yes but some facebook giveaways are fake.

14. Kiama

KiamaMember

Threads:
    Personally I have never won anything from those facebook offers. I once saw a post on my newsfeed about an iPhone give away where if you shared the photo, liked it and commented something about it then your prize will be shipped to your location. Am still waiting until now.

Those offers are just to bring in more likes and create traffic. I have never heard of anyone who has ever won.

15. Punit

PunitNew Member

Threads:
    @Kiama@Kiama Do not enter thse types of giveaways where someone ask you to like and share their page.

#35Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2017
  16. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    No, i would say that a small percentage of them are legit and honest, the rest are just a marketing scheme to either promote a brand .

17. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends because they can't be all scams. Some scammers could do it for traffic on their site or likes and followers.

I personally don't try it and I have never met a real life person who has won before.