Free Wireless Internet

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by olorien • Oct 9, 2012.

1. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    I ran across a deal by a company called FreedomPop that offers a free usb device or hotspot device with a small amount of free monthly access, 500mb I believe and they claim speeds at 4G. There is a refundable deposit, which I suppose is for the devices. They also offer no contract plans at discounted rates. If you think this might interest you, you can read about it here:

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how anyone can offer anything like this free, unless it's going to be reading your usage and reporting it back to the company. It may be a market research type company then.

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how this is possible either...I wonder if anyone here has tried it.

4. koelha10

koelha10Member

Threads:
    I am also a bit weary of this offer since as they say, "if it's too good to be true, it usually is". It would be an amazing deal if they actually follow through, but it is definitely something I would need someone else to actually try and let me know their thoughts on it before I would commit to it. I would also wonder about how they have service in all the locations I may need the service at.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    This does appear to be too good to be true. I just don't see how this is possible. I agree with koelha10, I would rather someone else try this.

6. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    Yes. Sometimes offers like these have a catch and then you only realize it when it's too late. Although researching on the company background and why they are giving out deals such as this would be of much help and would secure your thoughts regarding the offer which now stands.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I did some checking. This company is legit. Broadband Internet service isn't their main service, they sell iPod cases too. They also have received funding on Kickstarter. It's only 500MB free and there's a small fee for any overage. This won't work for me right now, but my sister is in desperate need of wifi internet service. She has to hang out at the public library to connect with the internet.

8. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    It most likely isn't free. I bet it comes with some sort of contract. The contract that you're paying for most likely funds it, thus it seems like it's free.

9. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Interesting, I'll have to look into this more and their kickstarter campaign. Like anybody else, I'm a little weary but there's never any harm to look more into it. If anybody has used it yet, there must be some sort of review out there, no?

10. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like a good deal. There's so many deals going on these days with broadband internet, it can be difficult to choose. Anyway, It doesn't matter which one you pick if your area has a bad connection.

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Appears to be legit. There are few reviews on this if you google it. If I were you, I'd go for it, if I have nothing to lose, and see how good the offer really is.

12. chintu

chintuNew Member

Threads:
    In my opinion no one will give us free internet of they they really give that is not a for a long while . so i think this offer may be limited to only some people not for all .

13. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    This may be some very short or maybe even even long trial of free internet. Though I would not trust this as much as what I pay for because the speed cannot compare with my current speed right now.

14. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds ok, but they don't have it in my area.

15. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Free internet provider FreedomPop offers 4G wireless internet service to access the internet from home or on the go.

16. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I imagine that there are a lot of pop up advertisings. Just like Netzero used to do back in the day when the Internet first starting getting popular. If you are old enough you will remember the days when the only way to get the internet was through places like America Online. Ah yes when we used to pay for the internet by the minute.... what a ripoff...

17. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    This is interesting. But, they don't offer this in my area.

18. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    It seems legit. They seem to hire in the Los Angeles area and look at the quotes from the famous companies.

I think the revenue from the higher plans make it possible to offer a free plan.

19. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    It's a good thing this company is not required to have it's business model fit your assumptions.

20. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    It is legit, and I use it myself. Best phone/data plan I have ever had. I tether it to my tablet with full windows and can tell basically no difference between this and any high-speed data connection I have ever had... save for CLEAR 4G... WiMax is just stupid-fast.

The free data is neat, would probably last you all month if you only used it for checking email on the phone and visiting blogs and maybe posting on twitter and sending a text or two every now and then... you know, activities that consume very little data.

But the awesome thing is that LTE speed for the first Gig. of every month and 3G after that (which, in my experiences, is comparable to cheap DSL) for 19.99 FLAT. No contract, fees, or anything like that. Hard to beat it, I say.

And yes, the 500megs is part of the "freemium" plan with FreeedomPop. Lots of people are like "LOL U R DUMMY NOBUDY CAN GIB FREE ANYTHIN HOW U R MAEK MONIES DEN LOLOLOLOL LERN2ECONOMIKS."

My whole life I have been so confused by the "too good to be true" view on life... costs very little, grows from the ground, has lots of antioxidants, is fairly cheap to purchase, can be grown in lots of different climates, creates itself then DROPS TO THE GROUND FOR YOU TO PICK IT UP, high fiber, low sodium, very nutritious, associated with lower rates of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and certain cancers (particularly lung cancer), requires little to no preparation to consume, and stays good for weeks and weeks outside of refrigeration.

Obviously, by the "too good to be true" thought process, apples are not allowed to exist. If you are looking for a "fault" or "catch" in something, surely you will find it... even if it doesn't exist. The human mind tends to find that which it is looking for, even if it is illogical or nonexistent. Also, this type of thinking often minimizes or ignores benefits then blows drawbacks out of proportion.

BUT APPLES ARE RED! RED CAN CLASH WITH A GREEN WALLPAPER! Oh, see! Too good to be true! I KNEW it! Better not buy any apples...

See what I did there?

The "too good to be true" thought process trains your mind to overlook legitimately positive opportunities and see life in a pessimistic way. I have seen quite a few studies that back up most of what I am talking about, if you choose to contest my statements I will provide links on a case-by-case basis.

Then they say this while they are at the app store, downloading a dozen free apps... *facepalm*

#20Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015