Free Roku

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Diane Lane • Nov 29, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been wanting to cut the cable for quite a while. I did cut back severely on my package, but right now, I still have the basic local channels via my cable provider. I have two antennas, so have considered cutting the cable entirely, but there are a few reasons I'm holding out for now. I purchased a Roku streaming stick and use it quite a bit. I typically use it to stream via Netflix and Hulu, but I also occasionally watch a movie via Google Play on the
    Roku.

I unplugged the Roku and carried it from room to room a few times, but the last time I did so, it lost the pairing with the remote, and it was a real pain to get it reconnected. Because of that, I decided I wanted to invest in an additional Roku, so I could just leave one attached to each TV. I stumbled on this deal while I was looking around yesterday for Cyber Monday. I ended up signing up for Sling, which I've been interested in for a while, and by paying for one month of Sling service, which was $20, I qualified for a free Roku streaming stick. The one I will be getting free is a 2016 version, which is newer than my other Roku streaming stick. I'll also have access to some channels I have been lacking since I disconnected the full cable package, and it'll be nice to have them again.

Here's a

to the deal, in case anyone's interested. I'm not sure exactly when it ends, but their deals usually last at least a month or two.

#1Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had the free Roku streaming stick for a while now, and am really enjoying having an extra one in the house, so I don't have to move it from one room/TV to another. I am really liking having Sling TV, and now that I see that the majority of what I want to watch is available on Sling or Hulu, with Netflix possibly added in, I am planning to cut off my local channels. I barely use that service, and my provider just had the audacity to end a promotion that was giving me a free receiver, so my bill went up another $10/month. I'm going to finish taking care of a few matters, then will call and disconnect the service, and pack up and return the receivers to them.