For Travel: DSLR or Compact Cameras

Discussion in Travel started by vida_llevares • Oct 14, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi.

One of the essentials for any traveler is a camera.

Do you think we would need a DSLR camera for a trip or would a compact camera already be good enough?

If you can also recommend brands and models, I will greatly appreciate it.

2. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    DSLR cameras are mostly big and bulky compare to compact cameras. I would think it depends on you really on what would you like to bring, if you want good photos then DSLR but if you just want to do random shots then compact ones are great.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would use a compact camera. Cannon has a neat compact that is also water proof so no fear of dropping it in water, the Coolpix is a good camera. How much you plan to spend on a camera my make the is one out of your range. Take a look at the information concerning it.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a great question. I going to be traveling and want to be able to take pictures and videos. I was thinking about getting a Flip camera. It takes great pictures and videos. Plus it's small and compact. It can easily fit in a pocket.

5. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    It's really up to you which to bring. If you like taking photos of the scenery, it's best to use a DSLR. I don't like using DSLR because it's so bulky and heavy, but my hubby does so we regularly bring the Canon DSLR we have (I can't remember the model sorry). :)

6. vk kapoor

vk kapoorMember

Threads:
    Compact cameras make bad videos because they don't have much more than 5X zoom. The DSLRs should have the full zoom option available. Personally I use a Camcorder 60X zoom and the movies look as if I am standing in front of the objects. Still, with the SLR, I get better video than with a compact.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it has to do with what you want to do with your pictures. I always use my pictures for my blogs and articles .. I also put up my pictures on photography sites.. I would personally like to carry a DSLR with me for the purpose. I prefer a DSLR over the smaller compact version. It is bulky but worth he effort of lugging it around.