Food For Your Dogs

Discussion in Pets started by eagle22 • Mar 27, 2014.

1. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is safe to say all of us that own dogs care for them and want whats best for them. I also know the importance of getting them the right food for their health. With that said, some of the "healthy" dog foods out there are extremely expensive! Have you guys found any good healthy dog food at a decent price?

Thanks!

2. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Purina is probably the most balanced food you can get for your dog as far as affordability and nutrition goes. It's a bit more pricey than some of the less nourishing foods but it has a fair amount of nutrition, too. If you want something that is perhaps a bit more healthier for your pup, try using

to compare the nutrition levels of various foods.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well for me, I consider the dog food industry a scam. Before companies started making dog food, people kept pets and they were healthy. What did they feed them then?

So whenever anyone asks me to recommend the best dog food my answer always is, table scraps or raw, uncooked food like meaty bones. That's what I feed my very healthy puppy and he's growing up real fast too.

#3Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if it's a scam Denis, some dog foods are really good and have the adequate nutritional value that dogs need. Having this said I think that dogs are also OK eating our food, but I think that a mix between our leftovers and dog food could possibly be ideal for them.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We feed our dogs Beef Pro because it's cheaper than the other brands of dog food. But since our lone dog doesn't want dog food, we now just feed him table scraps and bones, and he loves it.

#5Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I feed my puppy Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice, and I ordered them through Amazon. The price there is so much more affordable than in the Pet Stores around my neck of the wood. The first ingredients in this Purina Pro Plan is chicken, and he is growing up very happy and healthy.

7. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Dogs are carnivours so they prefer meats and food rich in protein. For my dogs I prefer Purina pro because my dogs love it and at the same time it is quite cheaper than any other brands out there in the market.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Healthier dog foods don't always cost more money, although that's often the case. You're better off paying a few extra dollars for premium quality dog food that doesn't contain any cruddy fillers. Nothing is worse than dog foods that contain fillers rather than natural, wholesome ingredients.

9. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Healthy food for our pet dog can available in pet food stores but I believe that homemade, raw diets may be a good option. If you follow good and healthy recipes which you can search on internet and provide your pet healthy diet.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's rather risky to feed table scraps in my case. I used to feed my dogs pizza crust but then they had the runs after a while. I never feed them hamburger also for the same reason so it can't be just any table scraps. Also bones can make them choke.

I have yet to find a good dog food for Lily. While the vet said Iams was okay, I'm not sure because sometimes she'll eat grass or get sick or both. It's not a once a week thing but it seems to happen often enough for me to wonder if it is okay. Maybe she eats things without me knowing it. I feel like she has a sensitive stomach.
    On the other hand I feed Rocky Purina dry and it works out just fine for him.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Alpo is quite an expensive dog food brand so rather than buy large sacks of dog food, we limit it to a few kilos of puppy kibbles. Kibbles are not only cheaper but our dogs prefer to eat them than those large dog food chunks. For breakfast and dinner, however, we simply feed our dogs canned goods (e.g. sardines, corned beef, preserved viand), mix it with rice and add a bit of seasoning. The dogs absolutely love eating the food we prepare for them.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We want our dogs to be healthy so we gave them dog food at first. However, they prefer table food because based on their behavior, table food is much tastier than dog food which is healthier though. My husband said that dog food is not a guarantee that dogs will live long so might as well let them enjoy life. So there.... table food for our dogs.