Flea markets in foreign countries.

Discussion in Travel started by prettycolors • Mar 20, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking of visiting some flea markets in my travels to Europe this year and I'm wondering how will the fact that I'm a tourist influence the prices I'll get when shopping. From what I see most local people tend to charge more when dealing with tourists, especially if the price is negotiable, like it happens at the flea market. I was thinking that a good idea would be to find some local people and take them with me at the flea market, maybe this way I'll get a good price for what I buy.

Anyone has experience in negotiating with the seller? Some tips?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I love going to flea markets abroad because you can find some really interesting handmade items made in the area. In most countries haggling is expected. I always feel embarrassed haggling so get my partner to do it. He starts low, but not insultingly low, and knows that they will go higher and end up meeting somewhere in the middle. One thing to be aware of are the street sellers carrying their wares that do not have an actual stall. The products are often not what they say the are, may be stolen and you are at risk of being ripped off. Of course there are some good sellers out there it is just something to be aware of.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a good idea to take along somebody who knows all about local prices. I think if you are interested in something particular, ask around and see what the locals have to say. You will know who is trying to rip you off and who genuinely wants to help. Often you find yourself directed to private houses where real locals make real quality arts and crafts (if you are interested in that). If you are on your own at the market, don't be too shy to haggle if you know that they are asking too much.

4. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not so good at haggling the price lower, but my mom is. I bring her every time I go shopping at a flea market. Actually I prefer shopping at flea markets because though the quality isn't as good as those in the mall, it still has the same design and it functions practically the same way. I'm not so good at bargaining, so I rely on others to bring the price for me.

I do have some advice though. Start a good conversation before deciding to buy a product. Form a comfortable atmosphere first, then you should bargain afterwards.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    If you happen to know someone local then by all means you should bring your friend along. It's the best way to get proper prices and prevent getting cheated. If you don't have a friend in the area, the best you could do is try not to act like a tourist. I always like to observe how the locals deal with each other first before approaching the stand myself.