Feeling sleepy?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Dec 2, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you fight off sleepiness when you feel it, but you have to go out and head for your exercise routine you just can't simply skip? What do you do? Personally this happens to me very often and when it does, I just keep going on with my routine. No matter how tired and sleepy I may feel, no matter how exhausted I am already feeling, I know deep inside me that I would have to deal with my exercise, not just do it, but still make the most out of it. Eventually while I am doing my exercise or workout, sleepiness will just wear off and I will just proceed as usual. But there are times that I am not sleepy, but I am extremely tired, I just proceed the same way. Exercising is not a laughing matter, but it is a habit that's very really vital to maintain.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the gym or go out of my way to exercise. My day to day life keeps me moving, so the rest is just boring to me. I can't keep something up that puts me to sleep all by itself lol. That said, I would handle it like I handle anything else I don't feel like doing. I think of "future me" and whether she would be upset with "now me" or not lol. I would much rather do whatever it is that makes me uncomfortable as soon as possible and get it out of the way so I don't have to think about it and tick off future me. I'm always thankful I push through. With stuff we aren't crazy about doing, the sooner the better. I don't like putting things off so they loom over me.. I'd rather cross it off the list right away.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think the best way to get rid of sleepiness is to make your exercise really fun filled and happening. Maybe you could try out some things like aerobics and dancing. Doing the same thing every single day can be really boring and even I would sleep off if I were in your place.

4. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried and tried to get 7 to 8 hours of sleep to no avail. I generally get at least 6 hour of sleep. Recently, my therapist talked to my internist. I was given a non-refillable prescription of RITALIN. Mine was a generic or off brand. The name is actually labeled Methylphenidate. It also helps me to concentrate.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Feeling sleepy? You should try this and see if it helps:

- Get yourself a sugary drink. Preferably coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant so well . . . it will effectively banish sleep as it increases your alertness.

- Keep yourself busy.

- Turn on some loud music. The noise will keep you from sleeping.

- Take a cold shower.

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have this problem a lot, due to some chronic health issues that I'm working through. If I have the energy and feel well enough to, I'll try to continue on with my routine, even if it's a bit of a slower pace, sometimes I'm surprised to find that it even *gives* me energy. Also I stay extremely hydrated, sometimes I'll have something sugary as a little pick me up. Sometimes I truly am too tired though and just need to listen to my body instead of trying to push it.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually it's a lack of air, so open a window or go outside and walk up and down the street for a few minutes (if it's cold). You could volunteer to walk someones dog, that's good exercise and an incentive to get out. Also drink water to keep your system hydrated, you feel sleepy when you are dehydrated and not coffee or sugary drinks, plain water.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I feel sleepy, I sit down for a while, close my eyes and just rest. I've long stopped trying to bring my energy up again with caffeine. I think everyone owes it to him/herself to take a break once in a while during the day and listen to what the body is saying.

9. Cory Jenkins

Cory JenkinsBanned

Threads:
    Coffee should help. More than that make sure you enjoy working out in the gym. A power nap of 15-20 helps me a lot and yoga has taught me how to do and not oversleep.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to get really tired at the prospect of fulfilling my exercise regime. I would just skip the workout, and wait until my body and mind perked up a little before doing it. Sometimes I wouldn't feel that alertness until I actually got up and began to to the workout though. I find that the best thing to do is to drink a lot of water, and like the Nike brands says: Just Do It lol. When I get up to do the workout, I almost instantly lose those feelings of fatigue, and I feel great afterwards. I am thinking of beginning to lift soon. The people at my local crossfit gym have all of the equipment, and they're going to teach me to lift. If I buy a membership with them, that'll be more than enough motivation to shake off my fatigue. If only so that I'm not wasting my money.

11. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Do some warmup exercises like jumping jacks. Usually that gets enough blood circulating so I feel less sleepy, and I'm also all ready to go for my workout as a result! I wouldn't recommend taking coffee just before your exercise since caffeine already increases your blood pressure. It could cause added strain on your body's circulatory system.

12. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have found out another method to fight off sleepiness early in the morning. I think that drinking hot water or lukewarm water can also help to reduce sleepiness. It has helped me a lot to get rid of sleepiness and I think it is an amazing techniques requiring not much efforts.

13. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Feeling sleepy is a usual feeling for me. My daily errands are an overload each day with running my kids to their daily activities on top of my work schedule and everything else in between. I barely have room to sit down and rest before having to jump up to the next errand. My nightly schedule consists of getting up with my 1 year old that does not have a sleep schedule yet that I'm trying to get him used to.

A bit of exercise or maybe just some down time could help ease up my sleepiness. Otherwise, I load up on Coca Cola to get me through my day/night.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just drink coffee and energy drinks to perk me up, and energy drinks are usually effective in keeping me up. You can also try to use a clip-on earphone while working out as you listen to upbeat music, so that it won't fall off your ears.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. Whenever I'm feeling sleepy and have some extra time I usually just go out for a walk and I come back feeling refreshed and ready to get back to work. Sometimes I don't have the extra time though so whenever this happens I just do some push ups instead and it works equally just as well. I try doing these exercises instead of coffee because that just ends up keeping me up at night.

16. zaskolu2014

zaskolu2014New Member

Threads:
    Man, i know how you feel. Every workday i feel sleepy and the main reason is because i don't get enough of sleep and my body is tired. And the sad story is that i reflect on my performance in school, my training and sadly my healt. Only thing that refreshes me, and makes me more energetic is my training, i ride Downhill, but because my performance in school went down, I don't have time for riding my bike.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would say to take a nap for 15 minutes, which can be very restorative to the body and make you more alert, which is safer when you go and lift your weights. Also you might want to eat a healthy snack with protein in it before you go to the gym and start lifting weights. I also heard of drinking a cup of coffee, just before your short nap-this gives you better memory when you wake up-but I am not to sure about the drinking coffee thing though ?

18. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I think feeling sleepy most of the time implies lack of adequate physical fitness and proper diet. You have to take meals rich in vitamins and minerals for proper neural function. Again. exercise on a regular basis to get the best results.

19. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    When I feel tired and sleepy, it's usually my body telling me that I need sleep and rest and I don't fight it. I take a nap or rest. I don't turn to coffee or energy drinks to keep my energy up nor do I force my body to exercise to fight the lethargy off. When I'm well rested, I feel healthy and energized and have more inclination to exercise. Forcing myself to exercise to fight off the urge to sleep will just make me hate exercising in the long run which is even worse.

20. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I never fight it. When I'm sleepy then I usually just give in to it. But when I really need to stay up, then I drink energy drinks for me to stay up. I need at least 2 bottles to be able to stay up.