Expensive seeds vs. Dollar store

Discussion in Home & Garden started by jleadbet • Feb 1, 2013.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've had people tell me I should only buy name brand seeds from reputable companies, but the seeds in the dollar store or at Walmart are so much cheaper. I've always had pretty good success with my cheap seeds. I'm looking to do a big garden this year, and if better seeds will help I'll make the investment. Has anyone used expensive seeds and thought they were worth it?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a fairly large garden for many years but have scaled it way back over the last few years. I have never found a difference in cheap seeds vs more expensive seeds. The thing to watch out for is how old the seeds are. Sometimes the cheap seeds may be old seeds and if so, you may run into some problems with them. Most seeds are dated but it can be tricky to figure out but it should be dated on the back of the package. As long as you have had good luck with the cheaper seeds you have been using, I would continue to use them. The only time I would spend more would be to get an actual plant. Good luck with your garden this year!

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Where to buy seeds is a question that many people ask themselves when choosing to grow a plant and not have enough knowledge about a particular culture and do not know what care before and after sowing the seeds. A professional gardener can give you the best advice, but based on my experience, I believe that there isn't difference between the seeds, at least in the home garden. Of course there are many varieties and more expensive seeds have characteristics that differentiate them from the others, but they aren't magic. Generally, I buy them in the nursery in my neighborhood and whether those seeds are cheaper I receive the recommendation of the owner of the nursery. You may only take into account the origin of the seed and its age.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always paid more attention to the age of the seeds than the price. I have noticed that less expensive seeds may also have more weed seeds in the mix. I still get the inexpensive seeds but pay more for the live plants that I purchase. Another way to get plants is to trade with someone that may be thinning out their garden or want a new plant. A lady in my area thinned out her daylillies and gave them to me. I was was happy because I was on my way to the store to purchase daylillies which I got free.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We always buy the cheapest seeds we can, and as Pat says, the age is the most important consideration. Aldi have an excellent selection of cheap seeds at the moment, and we've had great results with them. You could also try keeping back seeds from this year's plants to grow on next year. We've had a lot of success like that.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have no issues when it comes to cheap or expensive seeds. The freshness is important. I have had experience with both and I can hardly tell the difference between the two. So I go what cheap seeds from reliable companies I know. In fact I get my seeds from local agricultural government run agencies.. this is cheap and best.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind getting flower seeds at the dollar store because I wouldn't be eating them. Someone gave me a little zinnia growing kit that came from the dollar store and I've saved the seeds each year and planted more. For food plants though. I would want to know the seeds were pesticide free.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the germnation rates could be detemined by several things,including the fertility of the field,where it was grown, and how old the seeds are, because as the seed ages the fertility rates go down as well- because the seed uses its stored energy to stay alive. I would go with a seed company like "Johnny's Selected Seeds"-because these are good seeds and have the germination data on the packet, which is important when selecting your seeds.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a garden myself but I do have a cousin who does and she buys cheap seeds now as she has noticed that they are the same as the more expensive brands. She has a beautiful garden and most of the seeds came from the dollar store. She has different fruits and vegetables especially cilantro.