Exercise at home.

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by prettycolors • Mar 5, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Right now we can't afford to pay a gym membership since money's tight. Thus we decided to buy some cheap equipment, make a list of useful Youtube videos and start exercising. Is this a good idea?

I'm fearing that since both me and my boyfriend don't have any gym experience we won't do the exercises properly and all that invested time would be in vain. Any tips the more experienced could give us?

2. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I actually looked up this very topic a few hours ago. Go on YouTube and type in "Workouts at home". There are many videos of instructors giving out workout plans with no weights or machines needed. They are very good.

3. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    Unless you have very specific goals, I'd say you are just as likely to succeed outside of the gym as you would inside. Go for a run, and you don't need a treadmill. Do some body weight exercises and most of the machines at the gym become redundant----unless you are looking to bulk up, in which case you need a lot of extra weight outside of what you carry on your person. For slimming down or just staying in shape, I think the gym isn't required.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    There are a ton of workout videos that are great for working out at home. If you're only looking to be healthy then exercising with these videos should be enough. Since you're starting out, you should start with videos for amateurs and see how the both of you like it. Start with low impact workouts so that your body can get used to the drain. Don't overdo anything and there shouldn't be any problem.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    You should have probably visited the gym a couple of times just to know the basics. It is better that the gym instructor gives you the best practices to use when doing the exercises. Be careful as you might end up looking like Johnny Bravo haha which is not really good. Just take time and visit the gym for some instructions.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    If you have no experience then I'd stick to workouts NOT involving additional weights as much as possible. There are still a lot of possibilities by just using the weight of your body, it's also much safer this way as the risk of injury is lower.

Then as you keep progressing you can start using different weights and learning new techniques. Maybe one day you'll have a whole gym at home!

7. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I usually always exercise from home. Gym's have lots of machines and equipment but they can be really expensive. You can still easily work out from home effectively. All you need are some dumbbells and thats you. Almost all of the muscles in the body can be worked from these. Other exercises like push ups and situps don't require anything but yourself.

8. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I enjoy going to the gym because you can see other people succeeding and it gives you inspiration to accomplish your fitness goals. You can't get that by staying in the house. Its a better experience ultimately if you are around other people.

9. victor

victorNew Member

Threads:
    Is a very good idea just try out many work home gyms on youtube and you will be amazed with what you will get, i even prefer to do it at home than joining any expensive membership, the only difference is a trainer which you will get from youtube as well.

10. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    Well, I guess this is somewhat a good idea and is economic too :) All that matters is the determination you put in your effort in doing these workouts. The foremost thing you need to do is to fix up your mind to do it regularly though you have a lazy feel. Then you can surely succeed in doing it in a cheaper way.

11. mrjohny

mrjohnyNew Member

Threads:
    Oh, good thread. Myself started to doing workout even without equipment, I got a good routine with push ups, curls, squats, and it was very effective, I buildt muscle, not too much, but I get good resistnce. I scaled the amount of reps, every three weeks.
    After 8 months I started with weights, I did not go to gym, I bought my own weights and I am happy with that, tis a ggod alternative if you have not the money or time for the gym.

12. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Get Insanity, it's one of the best workout circuits available for home workouts.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days you can inform yourself about anything on the internet. Why don't you and your boyfriend do some research on google or youtube? There are free programs for beginners, explaining carefully how to exercise and what to watch out for. You don't need to be a gym member to get fit. All you need is a few dumbbells and some chairs or benches. I don't know if you have any free outdoor gyms in your area, but you could check them out as well. You'll meet other like-minded people and learn a lot from their experience.

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't even have any equipment at my home. I don't think about getting a gym membership because I'd probably just run on a treadmill once I'm a member. I'm not really in weights or ab cruncher equipment. So instead of getting a gym membership, I just run around my block every once in a while when I want to get my mind off of things. It feels good to run and exercise around fresh air rather than staying in an enclosed room.

My brother actually does a home workout called the "After Burn" which is pretty much fast circuit training.

He's getting muscular and skinnier, in a healthy way. So I don't think you really need a gym membership. What you need is to know how to exercise properly.

15. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    One of the best benefits of a gym membership is getting to possibly work with a trainer who can help build a workout program that's best for you as well as teach you how to properly to a variety of exercises. Even if you watch Youtube videos, it's still really nice to have that in-person contact to show you the best way to work out.

Something that helped me was working out with one of my friends who had considerable experience at the gym. He showed me the proper way to do different exercises.

16. Fdot

FdotNew Member

Threads:
    Exercising from home does work rather well if you have the strong will to continue until you achieve your target. Obviously there won't be professional trainers there to help you, so the motivation has to come from yourself or from your boyfriend. Alternatively of course you could use youtube videos and I'm sure the web is filled with fitness programs. Just make sure you don't get distracted, as the home environment causes a lot more distraction than the gym environment. Good luck!

17. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    The main thing is to get moving. Even if you are just jogging in place for an hour that is better than sitting on your butt all day watching TV You can't go wrong with push ups, squats, and lunges!

18. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    It's a great idea! It's honestly what a lot of people do nowadays for the simple fact it is a lot cheaper. The other positive aspects are that you can feel comfortable within your own home with no hassle of worrying how you look in front of other people, and also that you can move at your own pace. I've personally been working out at home for quite a while now and love it. Don't fear how to do it the right way, just simply look up how to do it the right way! Happy exercising!

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You really do not need any dumbbells,but its nice just to have some light ones-like the 5 pound ones. Yes, I have searched Youtube for workouts for different parts of the body-and you can find something very simple for those muscle groups. I think yes, that they have some very simple and great workouts you can do at home, and also if you want to go outside and do them on a rooftop or just a park. This "Betty Rocker" (she calls herself) lady has some great ideas and she mixes it up good with her workouts(I like that robot she has in the room background also-haha) !

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the workout, it’s not only the gym membership to consider but also the transportation. You have to pay the parking fee and suffer the traffic. That’s why I have never considered the gym even if we were offered a big discount by a friend who is a gym manager. We can do to workout at home to save money and time.