Ever been a victim of a scam?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by addicted_buyer • May 25, 2012.

1. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    Me personally, I have never been scammed. There has been plenty of attempts when I was looking for work at home opportunities. The Scams mostly came from a Mystery Shopper Position. They would disguise the scam as Customer Service work or Assistant. So when we would email they would say what I would be doing. So one day I received a check for $2,000, I had the slightest idea where it came from. The Check had a different address than the one on the envelope.Then I called the bank that was on the check and they wouldn't tell me any information. After striking out, I then called the Employer listed and they was like No, that is a Fraudulent Check. So I logged into my email account and low and behold I had an email that said, have you received the check yet? I was playing dumb. Eventually I said yes, I did receive a check. The person was like well take the check, to your bank, cash it, send $1,000 to an address, then keep $500 for yourself, and go to this location and send a money order and mail your experience. So with this being said, I was like well, I did cash the check, but I am not going to send any money to you! When I told him that, he went off and was talking about we will sue you, and you will go to jail, not knowing that I know it was a scam. Once he got finished on his rampage, I told him, Go Ahead and Sue! Which, I knew he wasn't going to! Eventually, I kept playing games with him and when I got fed up, I told him, I didn't cash the check, I gave it to the Police and I know it is a scam and if you message me one more time, you will be contacted and arrested, and I never heard from him again. So, just be careful of what information you give out and if you think it is a scam research. To much research never hurt anyone!

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My Mum was scammed on eBay. She won an auction for a Samsung android phone costing the equivalent of 200 dollars and she didn't receive the item. The seller closed his/her eBay and Paypal accounts and there was nothing we could do.

3. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    There was an advertisement for an online assistant on Craigslist, and though I'm wary of Craigslist, I've had a few good gigs because of the site. I responded with the ad and the way the person was responding sounded sketchy, but I went along with it anyways. I went along with it up till the point that I got a check in the mail with directions to cash some and keep it for myself, and to send the rest to some random person through Western Union. Obviously not falling for the Western Union scam, I tried the address that the envelope came from, and sure enough, there was no trace of that person. I just shredded the check and stopped contacting them after that.

4. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Didn't you open an eBay case? Even if the seller deleted his account, you should still be able to get your money back. I'm not even sure if you can delete a PayPal account, by the way, so the seller should still have the money in there, which you could get back if you open an eBay case or PayPal dispute/claim.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Luckily, I've never been a victim of internet scam. I think its best to make sure your virus protection is up to date and you visit sites that are https: instead of those that are not. It's best to be safe than sorry when sharing your information online.

6. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Yes, I have been scam and it's unfortunate that buyers like us get taken advantage of--it's unfair. We work hard for our money and some loser wants to trick us into ordering products then never send them. I ordered a pair of high heels from an online company; I waited weeks and weeks at a time but failed to receive my product. I checked online at their website to track the product. I was shocked to see that it said they was no longer in business. I tried calling the store but the phone had been disconnected. I couldn't believe that I have wasted fifty dollars.

7. Gamrpro

GamrproMember

Threads:
    I have been. I've learned my lesson and now I'm cautious with everything I do with my money. The biggest amount of money I have been scammed was about $500. I wish I would have done my research...

8. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Viruses have little to nothing to do with scams. There are many stores that have no traces of malware anywhere and that still scam their buyers by not sending them what they ordered.

As for the SSL certificate though, you're absolutely right. If a store invests enough money to get the encryption, I'm pretty sure it can't be a scam.

9. alucard02

alucard02New Member

Threads:
    Not exactly a scam but once, something I bought online was lost during the shipping and the seller didn't want to issue a refund. Thankfully a Paypal dispute resolved the issue.

10. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I have been scammed was on Christmas last year. My husband and I wanted to buy dvds as presents for his dad. We found some in one seller in ebay. We bought to 2 dvd sets, but before I purchased the items, I checked his feedbacks. A lot has actually given him very good feedbacks. So we decided to purchased it. But then 2 weeks later, we still haven't received the items, we bought it last week of November last year and he indicated the items were already dispatched. I sent him emails and asked about the items and he never responded. When I checked his profile again, it's not just only me but a lot has already given him negative feedbacks for being a scammer. Good thing there is paypal dispute. And to end the story, Paypal returned my money.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can actually close a Paypal account and it's quite easy too, I did it because I had to change my name because I entered only my nickname, so I closed my newly created Paypal account and I just made a new Paypal account, since we are not really allowed to change our name unless we present legal id's or if we have verified our accounts already.

12. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I received a phone call telling me I won a prize and told me that I don't need to pay anything, just a shipping fee. They are asking for my whole name and address and asking me to pay the amount. It is really a scam because I never join or sign up for anything, another reason is I just got a new number. How did they know it. They been calling me couple of times. I been telling me I'm not interested. It is really annoying that people try to make money scamming other people.