Energy saving tips during the winter months?

Discussion in Heating started by fairydust007 • Jan 2, 2014.

1. fairydust007

fairydust007New Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any tips to conserve energy while keeping The House warm during the winter months? I'm a single mom of three. My children are 4, 2, and 1. Keeping the house warm is very important so they don't get sick, but I would like to save a little money if possible. My house does not have a fireplace. There is also one gas and electric company that services the area I live in. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Remember that you don't need to use the heating when you are cooking, or tumble drying. Often I won't remember to turn the heating off until it gets far too hot from the other sources. Also Hot water bottles will make you want to use the heating less.

One last thing, taking a walk in the morning will raise your body temperature and you'll get some health benefits on the side :)

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to use the stove a lot more in the winter than the summer, that is true. Also, closing bedroom doors keeps the heat isolated to the rooms that need it, so the nursery (for example) can be warmer than my bedroom (optimal).

Of course we all dress a little warmer and try to keep the thermostat at a level that is affordable, and I will admit I've gotten used to having it a degree colder even though the transition was a little rough.

I keep ceiling fans running on low in all rooms to re-circulate warm air. I also close shades and curtains at night to prevent window drafts. I try to remember to close the garage door during the day and to let as much natural light in during the day as possible as well.

You can make really good use of space heaters too, which are an excellent low cost option for keeping the most inhabited rooms warm but not heating the entire house. We like to keep our bedrooms a little colder and sleep beneath heavier blankets, but our downstairs is naturally more drafty and stays cool (even in summer) because of the layout of our house. When I'm working at the computer, I like to have a small space heater at my feet.

4. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I live in Florida and I will tell you what, we just bundle up all winter like snow animals in a cave. Most of us will need a heater for the winter if we live in a trailor or a less ventilated house. When I was really broke my best friends mom gave us a portable range stove. We used that sucker during the winter when we lived in a Florida room on the side of a trailor. We would put a pot of water on it and just let the house get warm with the heat from the steam. Some nights it would get very hot because of it.

Man, those nights with the range oven I will surely miss.

LIONZFIRE

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Others ways you can save energy during winter:

If you have to get the house heated, then use heating in only the rooms you are using at that time.

Turn down your thermostat at night. This will may not save you a lot of cash but the little you can save will add up in the end.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment an the main source of energy I try to preserve is gas in the winter time. I only turn my gas on if the tempts drop into the single digits. another tip is using a space heater in areas you spend most of your time in the house. In addition, while you're at work, you want to always turn all electricity off and have the thermostat on a very low setting.

7. Yukiko

YukikoNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Florida and most people down here just simple bundle up. However that is not to say that we don't get some cold days my suggestion is dress warmer obviously make sure that bundle up your little ones which will help keep them from getting sick along with the use of electric blankets or even just having a heavier comforter for the winter makes all the difference when you go to bed so you don't have to turn it on high all night. Depending on where you live make sure that turn the heater down if not off while using appliances that do give off heat.

8. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I normally use a gas heater during the winter to save on my electric bill. People also say that using electricity late at night tends to be cheaper. I do not know how true that is but it is something to look into. Most of my stuff is gas so my electric bill is never high during the winter.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wear layers of clothes. Drink hot liquids. Keep the bed warm with hot water bottles. You can also get one of these energy efficient space heaters and hang out as a family in one room instead of using the central heating for the whole house.

10. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    I have a few because we didn't have heat in our house in the winter for a few years.
    1. Blankets. Blankets. Blankets.
    2.Shut the door as fast as possible when going in and out of the house.
    3. If using a space heater shut the door to other rooms. It'll take way less time to heat one room instead of the entire house.

It's not a lot but it will help.

11. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    As previously stated, wearing layers of clothing helps. Make sure all doors are closed in the house. That way heat is trapped in the same room you and your family is in, and cold air is trapped in their own closed spaces. Lots of candles will help in heating the room. Also drink warm beverages to stay warm. Coffee, tea, cocoa.

12. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    Now, before the weather gets colder, carefully check around every window and door for cracks that could let cold air in. Your first job is to keep the cold air out and the warm air in. A typical home has so many air leaks that it's as if there was a foot square hole in the wall. Cracks or seams around windows can be easily sealed by using a tube of caulk to seal them ($4). A caulking gun to apply it will cost less than $5. The big air leaks are usually around the doors. There are many insulating strips that can be used around the sides and to. The least expensive is foam insulating tape. The threshold is always a big air leak and there are several solutions to that at your local hardware store.

Be really careful about using any gas appliance that is not vented outside. You don't want a carbon monoxide buildup in the house, it's a silent killer!

13. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I would go for a sunshine walk in the morning and wear sufficient clothing to keep the body warm. This may save a few dollars on the heating system within the house. Try to dine when the dishes are still hot as possible. Try to drink hot liquids rather than cool water. Close the door and windows of the unused areas of the house. Turn off the lightings, televisions and heating system while working or shopping outside home.

14. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    I always invest in lots of blankets so we can all snuggle up together on the sofa and be warm. A few years ago when we were really struggling financially, we camped out in our living room so we only had to heat one room. Our bathroom was downstairs so we didnt need to use the upstairs at all.

I agree with other posters that draught exclusion is a very good idea and candles can provide a surprising amount of cheap heat - even better if they are fragranced too :)

15. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    If you are up north you probably know putting up plastic around the windows can help. Everyone used to do this when I was a kid, but I don't see it as much now. It would take money to install, but I have baseboard hit in all my rooms. It is definitely cheaper than a furnace, and you have control over individual rooms. Dressing warmer and wearing socks or house slippers, and turning the heat down just a few degrees can also make a big difference.

16. Epicfied

EpicfiedMember

Threads:
    I didn't read through the other responses so I'm not sure if these were already said.
    1. Plastic over the windows. This helps cold air from sneaking in.
    2. Same concept as above, but put a blanket by the bottom of the door.
    3. Lots and Lots of Blankets.
    4. If you're only in one room, shut off the heat and use a space heater with the door shut.
    5. Did you use the oven today? When you're done, open the oven door after you shut it off.
    This allows the heat to go into yourself as the oven cools off.

17. ignite1hp

ignite1hpNew Member

Threads:
    A great way to heat up a small room is by candle light. It sounds like a joke but hop on youtube and type in candle light heating and you will find a ton of ways to heat a place EXTREMELY cheap. This is no joke, you can heat an entire house this way. As said above I also believe in space heaters.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Heating starts after conservation of energy if you want to save on costs. To this end, heavy clothing helps. So is padding your house with layers of cotton which is cheap or even other insulating materials. At the same time, you can purchase charcoal briquettes made from recycled materials like coffee husks which are available in my country and can burn for 3 hours.