Edible Flowers

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by thisnthat • Oct 15, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen some really beautiful cakes and desserts and things that are made with edible flowers. Some people even use in them regular food for stuff like salads. It creates a really pretty presentation. I'd love to use some of these sometime, but I have no idea where to get them.

I'd want to buy them, since I don't have much knowledge about choosing which ones are safe to eat. I don't want to spend too much on them though, especially since they are basically just a garnish more than they are "food."

Do you know where to buy edible flowers for a reasonable price?

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen plenty of food with edible flowers, mostly are cakes. As a kid, whenever it's my birthday, my parents usually buy me cakes with edible flowers in it and it look pretty awesome that it's hard for me to eat it in light of the fact that I don't want it to be ruined :p

Anyway, there are a lot of cakes with edible flowers as design in our place. You can even request one with your own design and they will make it for you. I just don't know if there is one online that you can order though :)

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I know about the Jamaica flower. It is a red-petaled flower with a delicious taste. In my area, it is mostly used to make a delicious drink. You put the petals in boiling water and let it sit until the water changes color and retains the taste of the flower. You can then eat the flower by itself once you're done drinking it. It's delicious.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds nice, @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail. I've seen some cakes that I thought were too pretty to eat as well. The flowers are just gorgeous. I just hope they aren't too expensive, because I'd love to use them sometime. I have no idea where to buy them though or what they should cost.

Thanks @TheKnight@TheKnight. I'll have to keep that in mind and see if I can find it anywhere. Knowing the names of some of these flowers might be helpful in locating them and finding the best places to purchase them.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    What I think of edible flowers that are used to decorate the cake are made of sugar, molded or crafted as a flower. Anyway, I have a little knowledge of the actual flower which is edible or eaten. One I know is the rose. I have known other people who claim that they are eating the roses. They taste good according to them. I have not tried or eaten it yet.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    It's just called Jamaica as I see it at Walmart. It is very light so it might seem like a big price per KGs or LBs. There isn't really a specific place I purchase it from but Walmart is a pretty common area. You can find loose Jamaica that you can scoop up or in bags. The ones in the bags cost more though.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I wouldn't suggest eating any flowers (of any kind) unless you are 100% sure that they are safe to eat. Stuff like that can be poisonous if you eat the wrong kind. That's why I want to find someplace to buy them that knows what they are doing.

I've never seen anything like that at the Walmart stores around here. I don't think that this is available in my area. I guess it depends on which area you are located in.

Are the Jamaica flowers very expensive? I'm guessing that they're not too bad, if you can scoop up all you want at the local Warlmart.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    They aren't expensive but it also depends on their seasonal value. I know that it's available in both the USA and Mexico because I've purchased them in both countries.

[​IMG]

9. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Edible flowers are abundant in nature if you are willing to do some research. For instance, pumpkin leaves are edible and can be eaten raw. You can also venture into the internet and search for the word 'edulis' which connotes something hat is edible. I believe a good number of flowers which produce fruits are edible.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    These are the edible flowers that I know:

Hibiscus or Jamaica flowers- It is a vegetable in India and it is used for making cinnamon kissed iced tea for Latin Americans.

Chamomile- They can be turned into tea and if you eat them raw, they tasted like apples.

Roses- You can use them as tea and Rosepetals are popular dessert ingredients in France and India.

Pumpkin or Squash flower- If you have a vegetable Garden, These flowers are delicious vegetables you can used for many recipes.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I have never experienced eating edible flowers yet, but I'm sure they are readily available online. Try this site, they offer free shipping on all orders:

12. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Many popular ornamental plants are actually edible like the roses, bouganvillas,Lavenders and Jasmine.These edible flowers are good for people who lives in suburbs where vegetable Gardening is illegal because lawns are suppose to be uniform there. They allow flowers so these edible flowers are good way to have a secret vegetable garden in the suburbs. I found those laws stupid as in a woman got jailed for planting veggies onnher backyard. The edible flowers are exempted from this stupid law.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You could check out a farmers market in your area-but make sure the flowers have not been sprayed with anything. You could check out some edible flowers like squash blossoms in the springtime also flower lavender and flower snapdragon- they have online stores for buying these edible flowers as well. You could try a company called Gourmet Sweet Botanicals, also Marx Foods,and Melissa's, because I think they ship these edible flowers overnight-so they stay very fresh. You should check to see what they offer at these online sites,because what they offer is quite interesting. Try the local grocery store in the produce department as well.

#13Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen most of food stuffs beeing decorated with the flowers. The flowers attract customers so much. With where to buy them, there are many stores on tehe market that specialize on selling them. It is up to you to decide which one suits you, may be in terms of quality and cost.