Ebay Deleting Accounts

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Sep 16, 2017.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Apparently eBay delete accounts now that aren't active. I just got an email today to say if I don't log in within 30 days my account gets deleted. At first I thought it was a scam because the email so badly worded and sent in a poor format (all one paragraph with barely any punctuation).

Anyhow I logged in to find the message about possible deletion in my account, and I did a quick search to find out other people had accounts deleted without them knowing. So a heads up, log into your account even if you aren't buying or selling because setting up another account is just too much of a headache.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    That's weird. I had no idea they were doing it. But it was good that I read this topic because I need to alert some friends who haven't accessed the site for a long time.

Thanks. :)

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    That's good to know. I have bought something from ebay recently so my account should be safe. I take it we just have to log in and are not obliged to buy anything. I think it's a poor show if they are deleting accounts without notifiying people though. We should all be given the option of keeping our account or not.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought or sold anything on eBay lately but I haven't received a notice that my account will be deleted. How long was your account inactive? I think they should notify people that their account is going to be deactivated as well. I can understand that they need to do this when people are inactive for a long period of time, but they need to give people a chance to keep their accounts if they want them. Thanks for mentioning this here.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I last bought something in 2014 I think and apparently they do give you 30 days notice, but the email header doesn't say much so you may blink and miss it.

This is what I received and it looked like spam at first and a fake email:

eBay account update - Action needed

<p> ______________________________
    _______________</p>
    We noticed that you haven't signed in to your eBay account for quite some time, and we'd like to invite you back to buy and sell again. eBay's a great place to buy what you want, and sell what you have.Unfortunately, since you haven't used your eBay account for a while, it will be deleted if you don't sign in within 30 days from the day this email was sent.If you are not the account owner or the email address is no longer associated with this eBay account you do not need to contact us. We will delete this account in 30 days.We've got some new information to help you get started again. Please visit the below link:

You can learn more about getting your questions answered, participating in discussion boards, and joining or starting a group. To find out more about getting help from our community resources, please visit the below link:

We appreciate your business and hope to have you back as part of the eBay community. Regards, eBay Customer ServiceeBay Document ID: 47867550001<p> ______________________________
    _______________ eBay is committed to your privacy. Read our user agreement and privacy notice. Learn how to recognise fake (spoof) emails.

Copyright © 2017 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay (UK) Limited is located in 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3TW, United Kingdom.

This is exactly how it was formatted and sent to me. I did log in and change my password just in case. I read some people had no idea their accounts had been deleted because the notification could easily go into spam or be missed. Hope this helps others.

6. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that this action is very fair and reasonable on their part towards users, if you're not using your account, what's the point of having one.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fail to see your logic because eBay is like any store, you can browse but you don't have to buy. Often you can find cheaper prices elsewhere such as on Amazon or other sites that don't charge fees. To be competitive in a market you have to be user friendly and deleting accounts isn't one of them.

Just because I haven't bought doesn't mean I don't look. I do look, but just see people trying to charge more than an item is worth in terms of what I am looking for or that the seller is a bit dodgy. What if a store banned people from coming in to look because they hadn't been in for a while?

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    This is quite strange because my partner has an ebay account and has never used it. I did mention it to him and he checked but his account is still there. I suppose he has probably viewed motor bikes and light aircrafts on ebay as they are his passion but he hasn't bought anything. Perhaps this is enough to keep it active.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think as long as you log in then you are fine. However, I don't really see the difference between viewing logged in or not. I choose to view not logged in because it's safer. I log in when I wish to buy, that's because if someone does hack your computer then they will automatically have access to your account. For accounts such as forums I don't mind staying logged in as there are no payment details, but anything with my address or bank details I like to log out of because you just don't know.

10. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the head's up. If I did get one, I probably deleted it. I wouldn't have clicked on any of those links anyway. I would go directly to the source first to see if the info was legit. I definitely wouldn't add my details or login, unless I went there directly.

My account is probably deleted. Not that I've done much with it anyway.

Do you save a lot of money shopping on eBay or do you sell there?

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    The last time I bought something from Ebay was last May only, so I guess my account is safe. Maybe they want to de-clutter and get rid of those inactive accounts to free some server space.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up, about signing into your e-bay account, since I have had one for many years though, but really have not used it to much lately though. I do not remember signing in as of late but I sold quite a bit of antiques and became a power seller on ebay at one time-but lately I really have gone on to other ventures since sometimes the ebay market does get a bit slow and sluggish. I also like to buy things there-once in a very blue moon though-but I am so glad somebody spotted this !