Ear Mites Remedy?

Discussion in Pets started by sidney • Jan 28, 2016.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cat has ear mites, and I have recently taken him to the vet to have this cured, but after 3 days I saw him scratching his ears again. So I would like to ask if you know of any safe over the counter cures to eradicate my cat's ear mites? Feel free to share your "ear mites" experiences.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    To be fair - 3 days is way, way too early to be expecting to see results.

In fact - its not at all unusual for a cat to still have ear mites after only 3 days of treatment - for the simple reason that - as the ear mite life cycle from egg to adult is approx 21 days - it generally requires repeat treatments over a long period of time - meaning anything from 2 weeks to 2 months - in order to ensure that all the late hatchers are caught - so that the whole life cycle doesn't start all over again.

So rather than look at home remedies - which are not generally recommended in this instance - as they can do more harm than good and especially if mixed with a treatment given by a vet and more importantly - as ear mite infestations if not treated properly or for a long enough period of time - can lead to more serve problems - such as partial or total hearing loss and/or balance problems - it would be way better - to discuss your concerns with your vet - particularly as they are very likely to be able to help with ways - to make your cat feel more comfortable while undergoing treatment.

:oops: nearly forgot - as ear mites can pass back and forth when animals have direct contact with each other and I think I'm right in thinking that you also have a dog - it would probably be wise to treat your dog too - otherwise the ear mite infestation will never be eradicated - as it will just keep rotating.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I moved out so it's only my cat and me. We do have a dog back home but he doesn't have ear mites. You may be right, I think that it's better to just stick with the treatment with the vet, the treatment costs only around $14 and he placed some purple stuff on his ears that faded away with time, like after several days. I guess it requires multiple vet treatments.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Petco and Petsmart both sell Ear Mite treatment, I can't remember what the name or cost is, but I've used it before. One thing, make sure you are definitely treating Ear Mites, or else the treatment will be ineffective. Since you've already been to the vet and it's been confirmed, this might be something to look at.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In September of 2015, one of my dogs was attacked by ear mites. I have noticed that she was always scratching her ear but I didn't mind because I thought it was an ordinary scratch. After a few days, there was a peculiar odor coming out of her ear. And then the odor turned unpleasant. The vet concluded ear mites. My dog was prescribed a liquid ear wash that is quite expensive. Applied 3 times a day to her ear, the infection vanished after 2 days.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although it is very pitiful to see your fur baby suffering with ear mites, I found a helpful article from veterinarians

. Because the ear is something very delicate like our ears we should take the little fur baby to the veterinarians and see what they would like you to do with your fur baby might be the safest way for your fur baby.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, My cat's ears don't have any foul smell, but they have that black substance that is the waste of those mites. Now it's gone since the vet has cleaned his ears. Was the medicine that your vet prescribed over the counter? What is it's name and how much is it? Where can I buy it?

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The bad odor is actually an infection to mean the ear mites have penetrated deeply. But the ear mites can inhabit the ear without causing an infection to mean the infestation is mild. But anyway, here is the medication prescribed by the vet - MAXIRAP polymyxin neomycin sulfate dexamethasone. It is an eardrop that is applied 3x a day. I hope you have that there and would work on your cat.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you for that info, I will research on that eardrop if it's safe to use for cats. Maybe they have that in pet stores or drug stores. Where did you buy yours by the way? I'm located in the Manila area.

10. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As there appears to be some confusion here between " infection " and " infestation " and the treatment of the two differs - in that - an infestation needs to be treated with a parasiticide to kill off the mites and an infection needs to be treated with an antibacterial agent.

In order to avoid further confusion and more importantly to avoid giving your pet a treatment it doesn't need - whilst bearing in mind - that sometimes it is necessary if an infestation has become so bad that it has lead to an infection - to use both a parasiticide and an antibacterial agent in conjunction with each other.

This
    Neomycin and Polymyxin - being the antibacterial agents that kill the bacteria causing infection and Dexamethasone - a cortecosteroid to help relieve inflammation - is generally only used to treat infections and relieve inflammation - not infestations.

Therefore as the antibacterial treatment doesn't contain the active ingredients needed to treat an ear mite infestation - it would still be necessary to us a parasiticide treatment - containing an active compound such as Pyrethrin to kill off the infestation - as unless the ear mites are killed off - the whole cycle will repeat itself - all over again.

Or put more simply - although a parasiticide treatment is generally all that is required to treat an ear mite infestation - if an infection does occur and an antibacterial treatment is needed - it is important to remember ( hopefully most vets would tell you this anyway ) that even though antibacterial agent will have cured the infection - it will not have killed off the ear mites.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cat's ears don't smell bad, so it's only an infestation I guess. So would you say that I'm better off having the vet eradicate his ear mites after several sessions rather than buying the drops? I was thinking of saving money by forgoing those multiple sessions in the vet and just buying the drops, but it might be too much for his ears.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If meaning switching to the antibacterial drops mentioned by Corzhens - as those are for treating an infection and not an infestation - rather than save money - doing that would actually cost you more - as they would be an extra and unnecessary expense - particularly as - not only is it pointless treating your cat for something it doesn't have - but its highly likely - if your cat did need treatment for an infection - that the vet would have already spotted it and treated it.

So in this instance - much as I appreciate that its always very tempting to want keep costs as low as possible - especially as vet expenses can quickly add up - the most cost effective and kinder option for your cat - would be to continue with the eradication treatments that the vet is already giving your puss - simply because - as mentioned previously - not only can an untreated ear mite infestation lead to more unpleasant and costly problems in the future - but the only way to be sure that an ear mite infestation is totally eradicated - is to stop the life cycle of the ear mite from rotating over and over - which as the life cycle from egg to adult is approx 21 days - requires repeat treatments to ensure that each set of late hatchers are caught.

Oh and before I forget - another cost saving measure for the future - would be - as ear mites are quite a common occurrence in pets and there are quite a few - fairly inexpensive - OTC preventative treatments that can be applied every now again - once the initial infestation has been eradicated - to ask your vet - to recommend which brands would be the best to buy - as doing that would save you money in the long term.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes, Thanks for the info, I now think that the best way is to go with the vet treatment. My cat developed ceruminous cysts in his ears, but the vet did not suggest a surgery or anything, even if I mentioned already that my cat has lumps on his ears. He just cleaned it and gave it that violet solution. Let's see if he will suggest an OTC treatment if I ask him, because that would mean less profit for him.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    My pleasure - but so sorry to hear that your puss is having such a rough time and sincerely hope for both you and your cats sake - that all will be sorted and that your puss will soon be back to his former healthy self.

That said - although your vet has probably already suggested this - think it might be a good idea to keep an eye on those cysts and get them checked regularly.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes, He actually was in a rush at the time, so he did not tell me to keep an eye on those cysts. I researched and they're not benign. I do hope my cat will get better and his ear mites will be eradicated.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh how I feel for you - especially as this must - quite understandably - be a very distressing and worrying time and although I obviously don't have magical powers to say one way or other - all I can say - which will hopefully put your mind at ease - is that - as you certainly sound to be doing everything you can to help your cat get better and what your cat has are fairly common feline ailments - its more than likely that he will - so hang in there - particularly as - because both ailments require treatments that don't give immediate results - but take a little time to work - it can sometimes take a little longer than expected before you see signs of a full recovery

With regard to the cysts - although they are generally benign and usually nothing to be alarmed about - as even benign cysts do occasionally grow or become enlarged and when they do that ( if in the ear ) - there is the possibility that they could enlarge to the point of blocking the ear canal - its normally recommended that they are monitored - purely as a precautionary - just in case measure.

In the meantime - apart from hoping that it won't be long now before your cat is fully recovered and back to his former self - hopefully - as I'm really looking forward to hearing news of that - you'll keep us posted on how he is getting on.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes, I made a mistake, the cysts are actually benign, but they do grow larger in size as time passes. I even read that it's common in senior cats. Actually he is doing well now, I took him to the vet primarily because he won't eat, the doctor said it's because he has phlegm in his lungs. He now has his appetite back, but not as voracious as before.

18. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh poor puss - he does sound to have been having a really tough time. Hadn't realized until you mentioned it that he'd been suffering with not just ear mites and cysts - but other ailments too - so really good to hear that he is starting to show signs of being on the mend - especially as it must be a great relief - not just to him - but for you too.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes he is interested again in roaming and exploring his surroundings and he eats now, so those vet shots really did the trick, he started being interested in food the same day I took him to the vet. Those bluish cysts are now my only concern. I guess if I had taken him sooner it would have been prevented. I just thought that as long as there is no foul smell and he is fine and active then I can forego the vet trip, but I read that prolonged scratching can cause those cysts, and I think he has them since he was given to me way back in 2005. Let's wish him all the best. :)