Ear cleanings?

Discussion in Pets started by classy_ally • Jun 16, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    Do you clean your pets ears? I really want to clean my dogs ears but I don't know how to do it. I know their ears are sensitive. How do you handle that?

2. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I have never personally cleaned my pets ears but I have read somewhere that, very gently, clean their ears with a damp cloth or cottonwool bud and never delve too deeply in their ears. Only clean the part of the ear that you can see. Hope this helps.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    This seems like a very scary task. I know that dogs don't like to be agitated, and they especially don't like messing with their ears. My brother got attacked by a dog and had 22 stitches on his face trying to take something out of a dogs ear. I highly suggest that you take your pet to a professional and let them handle it. It is well worth the money.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I only do it if there's obviously an issue. Dog's usually take care of their own issues like that, so I would only even consider it if I saw a buildup or something stuck to the inside where it was reachable without risking going down into the canal. I wouldn't want to risk hurting them.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried to do this because I'm afraid of doing permanent damage. I would leave that job to the vet because I don't think it's safe to clean their ears.

6. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    I use FlavorTek Cucumber melon ear cleanse with aloe vera, as recommended by my vet to clean my digs and cats ears. It is easy to use and works, you just apply liberally into the ear canal, massage the base of the ear, allow your pet to shake their head and clean any excess with a cotton ball.

7. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    It is important for good health to regularly clean the ears of dogs who have long, floppy ears. This is because their ears do not allow for regular air circulation and they often become infected due to trapped debris and moisture. To do this, wet a regular guaze pad with hydrogen peroxide and wipe around the parts of the ear that you can see, removing any dirt, debris and ear wax. Next, take a long handled cotton swab and gently probe the canal. The way the dog's ear canal is shaped, it is very difficult to reach the eardrum to cause any damage, so if you work slowly and carefully, you will be fine. Remove any dirt debris and earwax from the canal and check for odors or a scratch reflex. A sour odor will indicate an infection while a scratch reflex usually indicates ear mites.

8. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you could hire someone to do that for you along with clipping the nails, washing and trimming its coat every so many months. It's definitely important to help with your pets hygiene so you're not paying out a lot of money for vet bills and things like that. You might only need to hire someone the one time, you can sit and watch how they do things and then take it on yourself to save on more unnecessary bills.

9. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I clean the visible part of my dog's ears very gently with a washcloth whenever I give her a bath. But I refuse to clean inside her ear or let anyone other than a trained professional do it. Ears are very sensitive and fragile and you shouldn't attempt it if you don't know what you're doing. I always say if you have to ask, then you don't know what you're doing.

10. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I usually use a papertowel and wipe out there ears. Then I also use the ear wash the vet gave me to use. I guess it really depends on how comfortable you are with cleaning your own pets ears and medicating them.