Dumbbells Vs Using A Gym

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Jason76 • Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely, the atmosphere at a gym is more motivating for certain people. Nonetheless, though, you actually only need a pair of dumbbells to do most exercises. You simply memorize the routines, and bam, you have saved tons of money in gym fees every year. In fact, there won't even be any. :rolleyes:

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    When you really think about how much value that you get from the gym, for me it is mostly in the attitude that I have when going there, which does help, but is not really worth the high price. I would rather try to muster that same attitude at home and do things for free.

3. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    True, that is actually the main reason why I enrolled in a gym in the first place. I don't know the routine and what is the best exercise to do in a particular muscle. There is no internet or YouTube to which you can use if you need to learn something new. It's more either you make go widow and train your self alone, or you can go to the gym and learn it with an instructor. The good thing about this, the movement is repetitive so it is easy to memorize.

4. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of dumbbells that I inherited from my cousion. He left the dumbbdells for me after he joined the gym. I have never been to a guy, the only kind of exercise I do is going for a jogging session. I sometimes use the dumbbells. If you know how to use dumbbells properly, you can get exercise for every parts og your body. Yes, you can save money on gym if you use dumbbells properly.

5. PeteS

PeteSNew Member

Threads:
    It depends on what your goals are. Certainly you can be very fit and even muscular without ever lifting weights. Herschel Walker was a famous football player back in the 1990s and despite having an excellent physique, he said he never used any weights except his own body weight. Squats, Push-ups and Chin-ups go a long way towards hitting all of your major muscle groups. Throw in some Dips, Planks and some field exercises and you have all you need.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have my own dumbbells and hand grip exerciser. To be honest, I haven't been to the gym for a workout but I have seen the young guys there doing the workout. It is not much for the equipment but I think the gym itself is a great motivating factor for one to push on with the workout. For me, it's the convenience of exercising at home not to mention the money saved. That's my motivation.

7. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I did try to exercise at home, but I wasn't motivated enough and after a while, I gave up. After that, I started to go to a gym and my body transformed little by little in what I wanted without too much work but these positive effects came with the help of a good trainer.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Another advantage of dumbbells is they are better than machines because they work you out more (much like free-weights). Also, I believe machines can sometimes cause unnecessary injury - mainly because not all body types fit them.
    Trainers are good, but normally I'm motivated enough, assuming I am at a gym. However, though, at home, my mind becomes distracted on other things. Nonetheless, that's a fault that can be corrected fairly easily. In fact, it's just a matter of making it a habit each day to workout.

#8Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you are absolutely right. Dumbbells are quite very effective in helping one actualize his or her gym goals especially those looking to improve their fore arm muscles and chest size cavity. I really enjoy using a dumbbell to exercise but still am not quite satisfied with using it alone.

I love and enjoy it more when I place almost all parts of my human anatomy into full beast mode through exercise. So improving just on my fore arm muscles and chest cavity size is never enough for me. I definitely also enjoy training up my abdominal through crunches, my bum through squats, my thigh through lunge, my calf through squat and jump up.

All these can't possibly be achieved with just using a dumbbell, although I would agree that there are some you would be able to incorporate dumbbell usage in doing. But in a general overview, dumbbells rocks perfectly fine in exercise and work out.

10. Meeseeks

MeeseeksMember

Threads:
    You can start with dumbbells though. If you are thinking of going to the gym as a starter, you must do it slowly and start with the basic just like lifting dumbbells.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Besides the atmosphere, I think you can attend to a personal trainer in the gym too, or you can also meet friends who like to exercise and learn from them. Though I think there are some benefits going to gym, as a stay at home mom, I would prefer to just stay at home and do some simple exercises on my own. I also prefer to go jogging in the park, as I prefer to exercise in the park where I can enjoy the natural scenery rather than the closed area in the gym.

12. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    On one forum, a guy was saying that online gyms and trainers were becoming popular. I don't know exactly how that would work, though. It sounds odd.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    You don't really need dumbbells but they boost the normal exercises like sit-ups, push-ups, and running while swinging your arms up. You can even purchase a punching bag so that you can punch it while holding dumbbells. There are even some weights that you can strap on to your legs and arms. You can have those on all day while you're doing ordinary chores and your hands are free. So you have the motivation of having to do your chores while exercising. Gyms just have fancier equipment.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I spent a lot of time indoors(basketbal) as a kid, in practice and outside running cross-country too- with a coach standing over me and yelling-so I am looking for some freedom from the gym and trainers I would say. I do lift some small dumbells at home but I would really like to take my workout to the great outdoors these days. I really was looking into getting some kettlebells and use them outside for doing aerobics and building some muscle as well.

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you make use of the gym that would be better. Because here you're forced to be punctual and you're forced to follow the routine. And that's something you can't really change these days. Having gym equipment at home can help. But you don't get the discipline with it. And another thing is that you have to work on the mindset part too. So it may take time as well.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure how the online gyms and trainers you mentioned work. I have seen some fitness websites where they provide fitness programs where we can just join, perhaps 6 week or 12 week. There are also customized fitness program where you can have a conversation with them, and they will design it for you. There are also online community, usually Facebook group, to encourage each other while taking the fitness program together. I don't know if this is the same as the one you mentioned. Though there aren't physical group to motivate each other, at least there is a virtual community for those who would prefer to or have to stay at home.

17. Jenny Dio

Jenny DioNew Member

Threads:
    I guess Gym is the best we get more motivation at gym. I use to go to the gym regularly even I am having dumbbells at my home but when I reach there the atmosphere there attracts me. I love workout and marathon even I run half marathon the best thing is I love to wear athletic wear as I also go to the gym I purchase many gym wear and marathon clothing from Marathon Clothes store. I get many profit I exercise daily going gym and also get many athletic wears which makes me happy always.