Don't You Think That Water Should Be Free?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by mildredtabitha • Dec 16, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I feel water should be free. I know we pay for the water we get especially when living in town. I just like how water is free at my rural home. We can drink rain water and get more from the borehole. But our borehole got destroyed and so no water is coming. We depend on rain water everytime we go to stay there.

We live in town most of the time. It is not a problem to get water because we can choose to buy from markets and we can fetch from the tap.

99% of the body is made of water. Humans can survive without food but not water. I feel water should always be free and not sold.

2. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Since is a natural resource and covers a bigger percentage on the surface of the earth, it should be absolutely free. Many cities sell it because of its high demand but I don't encourage it. It should be totally free.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am shocked when you said that 99% of our body is made up of water. That is impossible. Science has analyzed the water content of a man. It says it varies on his age. Infant has around 75-78% water, dropping to 65% by one year of age. The average adult human body is 50-65% water, averaging around 57-60%. Where did you get your facts?

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If you can drink water straight from where it is supplied naturally, then of course it would be free. But if you're living in a city that is far away from the source of water or if the sourcing of water requires machines, equipment, or treatment for it to be potable, then you have to pay for these services as private utility companies invested in these facilities. If you want free water at your home in the city, then you can either harvest and store rain water or build your own deep well or artesian well. Both methods will also require some investment.

5. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    Water should be free but it's not free and in Michigan, it's illegal to collect rainwater you can and will go to jail for it. And its all about big business if you collected and drank rainwater then the big business couldn't sell you a 20oz bottle of water for $2.

And the worst part about all of this is the big business line the politician's pockets to get laws passed and they get away with murder and the politicians count their bankroll. And did you know that most politicians are average joes and when they leave office they are millionaires so what does that tell you!

6. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    @Soulwatcher@Soulwatcher I can only think of corruption when it comes to politics. I'm still surprised of how strict Michigan is.

@Jamille@Jamille Then it will be safe for me to assume that we are indeed paying for all those service that made it easy for us to access water. That makes sense. :)

@Nakitakona@Nakitakona I read about it in an old textbook I found in the library while still in high-school. :D I checked on the web and you are also right

#6Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking a lot of the bottled water phenomenon comes from toxic dumping as in the case of South Korea.

In that case, governments should make a strong effort to keep factories away from rivers etc.. - but of course, that won't go down well. Anyway, there are even problems with tap water in the US, Canada etc. It can have too much chlorine.

#7Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well we are just used to it to some degree, and that is probably not a good thing. Something tells me that it might not be that way for good, but maybe I am getting ahead of myself.

9. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. I don't think clean water should be free as water cleaning involves a lot of investment and man power as well. Moreover, I have seen many people wasting water even we need to pay for it, I can't imagine how much water will be wasted if it's free. Our water here is not clean enough for us to directly drink from the tap, so perhaps this is why our water bill is not so expensive as we always need to invest in other water filter in order to use cleaner water from the tap, not even for drinking.

10. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    There are most instances were water if free. An example would be water fountains within parks and buildings. I think that is a free enough resource, in college I use the water fountain to fill up my water bottles just to save a bit of extra money. Maybe you should try that, other than that people make sure to put in proper mineral within bottled water so I feel we should pay a little bit for their efforts.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have our own well but we have spent to sink that well and have installed pumps to pump water. It is not fair that one expect not to pay for water supplied by government as they are spending on water supply.

12. mildredtabitha

Threads:

I just finished reading the information from the link you provided. We also prefer drinking boiled water. Tap water is really not safe. It can contain to many sand particles sometimes and can be discolored too. So we always boil no matter how clean it may look like.

13. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    No I don't think so! Firstly, because the government spends a lot of money and efforts on providing us with safe and clean drinking water. Secondly, if it were free, then people would not understand its true worth and use it indiscriminately. So I think it is better that we pay for the water that we use.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. Of course it would be nice if it was free but since human life depends on it and as @nangk08@nangk08 rightly states, a lot of money is spent on purifying it, we should contribute to this. It's one resource I don't actually mind paying for.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    There is a threat of polluted rain, though. For instance, once acid rain threatened Canada.

The water from the ocean has to have the salt taken out. That's more work that needs payment.

16. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    That's true you've said and what I was trying to contribute. One thing is that taking water in the town can be that way since their are equipments used to purify and make the water available to those in the town. Probably, that's the reason it's not free and requires we pay for them.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your concept that water comes from free sources like rain is good. However, you have to take note that it needs money to build structures and facilities before water can pass to your tap. The big water pipes entails big expenses not to mention the digging and the construction. The purifying of water also entails costs. And if you want free water then construct a cistern in your home to collect rainwater.

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The mass-producing of rainwater would make sense in a nation with a lot of rain. However, for areas with less rain - it might not make as much sense. For instance, British Colombia, Canada, and Jamaica would be good candidates for rain, but South Africa is not.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that water should be free just because it's free from natural sources. If that was the basic of supplying things free then many other things would come in that category like petroleum products. But as the petroleum products need refining before reaching to the consumer the same is true for water. It goes through treatment before supplied in homes which costs a hefty sum to exchequer therefore the authorities in order to cover the costs have to charge their consumers.

20. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I agree with you @Alexandoy@Alexandoy.

I think we have to exclude rainwater when we talk about water for free. Of course, there has to be a construction built for men to be able to dig up to the ground and collect water. Also, it will go through some process to ensure that it's safe to drink.