Dog Or Cat?

Discussion in Pets started by Nero-Bianco • Jun 8, 2016.

1. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    Which do you think ends up being cheaper? A dog or a cat? If anyone has experience with both animals that would be helpful, but of course I'd welcome your input on how expensive you find it to keep just one or the other.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    A reasoned argument will end up with the conclusion that a cat is cheaper than a dog. They require less medical intervention since they retain their wild natures despite eons of domestication and have less parasites attracted to them. Cats require less food and they are very versatile when it comes to their shelter since they can sleep in the bedroom or even in the kitchen.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both cost because you'll have to take them for their yearly check up at the vets, food for your pets and toys and treats too, their bets or special space beds, both need to be loved with patience too, but this is the beginning of having a pet. What will you do when you go on vacation for your pet? So you see to have a pet or not is a big decision. With cats you got to get cat litter with dogs you got to walk them and pick up after them too something else to think of which you'd like to do?

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that either one can become costly, espcially if they become sick, or you have to board them somewhere or find a caretaker if you are gone.
    We have two small dogs, both of them are healthy; so mainly the only expense we have for them is just buying their dog food. Since we have a large fenced yard; they have plenty of outside room to run and play, and they are inside/outside dogs, depending on the weather.
    When we are not home, we always make sure that they are safely inside the house, so no harm can come to them, or they cannot be let out of the yard and lost.
    However, we are pretty much tied to being home, since the dogs sleep inside at night, and are in and out during the day.
    A cat would probably be a similar situation, except that you can leave a cat overnight alone if you have out food and water and they have a litter box where they can go to the bathroom.
    Having any kind of a pet is just a full-time responsibility, and since you do not know when one might get sick or be hurt and need to go to the vet for treatment, it is impossible to say just how expensive having any kind of a pet is going to become.

5. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I was just comparing prices on dog and cat food today. You can get 32 cans of Friskies catfood for about the same price as 24 cans of Mighty Dog at walmart.com. Also, my dog has more supplies than my cat. And maybe it is just because I really love my dog, but even her vet bills are higher than my cat.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a dog lover and I'm sure the dog is more expensive to keep than a cat. First is the accessory. There are far more accessories for the dog than a cat like the clothes. With the treat, it's the same, more for the dog than for a cat. I don't know if a cat is groomed but I pay $10 for the grooming of one dog in the salon. And with the food, the dog definitely eats more than the cat. But despite all those, I would still prefer a dog than a cat because the dog is more likeable for me.

7. Nero-Bianco

Nero-BiancoMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the input so far from everyone. I will probably get a cat in the near future, and then maybe also a dog when I'm rich someday, haha!

8. GraceMarie

GraceMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Cats are cheaper and require far less maintenance -- and this is coming from a "dog person" ;)

9. jonthai

jonthaiMember

Threads:
    I have experience with a dog and I have to say it's not that bad. Owning a dog requires as much as dedication and effort as a cat,and the costs are pretty much similar. As a dog owner, you need to have more attention to it,for example: walking it,teaching him where to pee etc.My idea of cats is that they are pretty self-taught, and don't require as much attention as a dog would. The prices are probably very similar,depending on the place where you buy them.

10. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I've had experiences with both animals for only a short time. I'm a dog person, I've never been too fond of cats, but I have to say dogs are more expensive. Cats are very low maintenance, they can even learn to feed themselves. Plus if they're in good health, they won't rack up medical bills. Also, if you live in an apartment complex you sometimes have to pay a fee for having a dog whereas with a cat you won't have this problem.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the cost of owning a pet will differ from individual to individual. There are some who like to treat their pets and spend more money for example.

For those who don't let their pets roam free, you'll have to buy all their food. But if you do let your cats out often] they would be cheaper because since they are predators they will hunt . . .

#11Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having had both - although I would agree that from a time point of view - as cats are naturally independent and generally less demanding than dogs - they are probably the less time consuming of the two - I can't say that from a monetary point of view - I've ever found one to be more expensive than the other - for the simple reason that - as both are living creatures whose needs are much the same in terms of feeding, grooming and can get sick or injured at any time - both appear to be about equal in terms of cost.

That said - as having a pet is a lifetime responsibility - as is the cost of looking after them - rather than looking at which one would be the cheaper - I would go for the one that you would most like to have around - particularly as - whatever their maintenance costs are - they're worth every cent - as what they give to you in terms of love, companionship, loyalty and fun is worth way, way, way more than anything that money can buy.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I have been an owner of both dogs and cats. Here's my verdict: cats are definitely cheaper to own. A few reasons for that:
    • You don't have to bathe them every week. They smell pretty good even without a bath. Believe me, I didn't bathe my cat for months, to years even. Hey, don't blame me, they won't let me bathe them. Haha!
    • They don't need clothes, accessories or collars. Well, they don't like these so there's no need to buy them these items. Plus, our cats were always outside and they only come home when it's time to eat.
    • They don't really shed as much as dogs.
    • Our cats didn't even get fleas no matter where they go. We didn't have to bring them to the vet for checkup or for grooming. They were generally healthy all throughout their lives.
    I hope this helps you!

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's true, the cost will vary not only from person to person, since we all have differing ideas of what constitutes care, but also by pet, since some will be healthier than others. Also, some tend to be very high spirited, and that can sometimes lead to more injuries than a sedate animal might encounter. I have a friend who seems to constantly take her cats to the vet with injuries because they're very spirited, and it seems they bounce off the walls, and occasionally injure themselves. Two of mine (cats) are somewhat less active, but one is a climber and jumper, and I'm always worried that he'll harm himself.

With cats, you not only have food and medicine costs, but also litter. With dogs you have the same, minus the litter, but also sometimes will have costs of grooming, as well as the extra time spent walking them if you don't have a large yard, but there's an upside to that, because it could increase your health and decrease the chances that you'll get sick if you're in better health.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I own one cat and one dog, and I guess he would property that cats are quite cheaper to have them dogs. Not only they are lower maintenance to take care off, but they cost way less. Food in weight alone might cost a little more, but cats eat so much less than dogs. My cat is half the size of my dog, but she eats way less than half of what my dog eats. Grooming costs less and you need less of it, you don't need to walk the cat, you don't need to bring it everywhere with you, cats are more independent, they need less vaccines in general, they don't have ticks, they rarely have flees. Overall if cost is your main concern, go with cats.

16. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Generally dogs tend to be more expensive than cats. They dog foods are definitely more costly than that of cats, not to mention the grooming issue. Cats are pretty low maintenance and less complex to have as a pet than dogs in overall department.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had my cat since 2005 when he was just a kitten, and he's still alive until now. I never took him to the vet for shots, but so far I already took him to the vet 3x because he got sick. I think cats will always be less maintenance pets that dogs, since dogs require shots more urgently than cats, and they require more food too.

18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    In general, I think I have spent less on the cats I have owned than I have had on my dogs. My dogs have required more veterinarian bills than my cats. And as we pet lovers know, vet visits and procedures are quite expensive.

19. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats will be cheaper, but it depends on the personality of the cat and also how involved you are as an owner. I have friends who spoil their pets with toys and clothes (!) and a dog owner who cooks them fresh liver. Dogs need walking and to pick up their poop, and tend to smell more and are noisier, so in that respect they are more work.

I say noisier, it can cause more issues with neighbors and barking, where cats don't have that problem. My ex-landlady had issue and neighbors reported her dogs for barking at silly hours and she did get fined.

20. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    Dogs are definitely more expensive to care and maintain. This is for the simple fact that they are much bigger animals which means they eat more and consume more resources. Veterinary work for dogs are also usually much more expensive compared to veterinary work on cats. And last but not the least; cats can take care of themselves more than dogs. So there’s that.