Dog ate my lip balm??

Discussion in Pets started by isabbbela • Sep 18, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This week my dog ate my lip balm! He didn't eat the plastic container, just the lip balm inside. I was really concerned at the moment and even called my mom, who is a vet. She said she didn't think it was serious and he should be fine. If he started getting sick I should get a medicine (can't remember the name).
    He was fine after that. Have any of your dogs ever ate lip balm, lipstick or any of your makeup?? Were they fine afterwards?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    That's scary! I was house sitting a cat once that went crazy on Mary Kay make-up. We were scared half to death. So we called the phone number that was on the make-up boxes for 'in case of emergency'. The people on those hotlines are very helpful. They know all sorts of information that can help you with allergies, pet eating, etc. Since that experience I have remembered that and called the number when I had several different types of questions. So I am sure you could try looking on your lip-balm container and seeing if there is a number you could call just in case. But it sounds like your mom knows what she is talking about and if your pet has had no adverse reactions so far, then all is probably fine.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, my terrier ate my breath spray once. It was a little metal canister with a spray nozzle on top, and the contents inside was pressurized. I would normally keep it on my dresser in a little tray with some loose change, my keys and other random stuff I would grab on the go. One day I noticed it wasn't working when I went to use it, and I saw two little puncture holes on the side, like vampire marks or something. I couldn't figure out how those got there, and thought perhaps the can had some weak spots in it or was otherwise damaged all along.

Then I remembered like a day earlier, I kept noticing my terrier licking her lips constantly like something was irritating her or she got into something. That's when it dawned on me what had happened, lol. She was fine though, it just took a while for the taste to get out of her mouth.

As for the lip balm, I would think your dog should be OK. They wouldn't put something that was lethal in it when it's meant to be put on your lips in the first place. Obviously people are going to ingest some of it as they eat food and do various other things. Be careful with lip balm on hot days too, I made a mess of my car one time when I left a couple tubes of it in my arm rest and they melted all over inside it.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I am glad that your mom who is a vet said that you should not worry. My cat ate/licked/played with my lipstick once, too. I didn't worry about it too much because my lipstick was organic, and I knew that it wasn't really life-threatening. Just make sure that you will keep your makeup in a safe place, so your pets will not reach them.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our dogs can't access our personal items because they are outside the house, and the only thing that our dogs chew on is paper and rubber. Well, at least now we know that dogs can get away with eating lipstick, after all, humans can lick them, so I guess it's not that harmful to dogs too.

6. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    If your mom who is a vet said not to worry I'd definitely not worry. My animals have eaten/chewed some odd things. My puppy chewed the outside of a Clorox Clean Up bottle and made tooth marks in it and it started to leak. I definitely freaked over that one. He also chewed up a roach bait (I'm not sure why, I wouldn't think it could possibly taste good). I threw out the Clorox Clean Up. My vet said not to worry about either of those though. I wouldn't worry much about lip balm myself because you use it on your lips and some could get in your mouth so I think they have to make it safe for that.

7. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    My dog ate (mostly chewed on) a tube of chap stick and did get the runs for a few days. Like you we called the vet to make sure there was no issues, and she said that it wasn't a problem 99% of the time. Expect diarrhea would be my recommendation.

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The lip balms that we use these days are the ones which are tested on animals first and then used on humans. Hence, if we your dog ate the lip balm, I am sure it would not cause any serious damage to its health. However, observing its health for quite a few days is very much recommended. Make sure that it does not worsen in any case. Also, do not keep anymore lip balms in a place where your dog could find it.