Does your female dog hump?

Discussion in Pets started by sandooch • Aug 24, 2012.

1. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I thought my youngest daughter was nuts when she told me a few years back that her friend's female dog will hump people's legs. I told her only male dogs do this, and they usually stop after they've been neutered.

Then I get a female poodle almost two years ago. I had her spayed at 4 months old. And guess what? Yep...she's a humper. Not people's legs, but pillows. It is not excessive; I catch her doing this once or twice a month. But I found out it is not a sexual act, just showing dominance. Regardless, my family thinks is hilarious when she does it (they even want to get her her own hump stuffed animal :rolleyes:), but I don't find it funny at all.

Do any of your female dogs do this?

2. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Years ago I had a Doberman names Abbey. When she started humping me, I could not believe it. I also thought it was only done by male dogs. I was told by someone that you never chastise the dog for this, rather divert their attention to something else because when they do it to humans, it is a sign of affection.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Really? I thought it was only male dogs that did this. :eek:
    I guess we never noticed because we have always had male dogs.

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    My female dog humps other dogs to show her dominance. We doggy sat her brother and another dog that my sister-in-law has and she learned it from them so it was really funny to watch her pounce on them and hump without anything happening like it would for the male dogs. She is so funny; she sees her brother doing it and was like, "oh hey, let me try!"

5. supergirl

supergirlMember

Threads:
    I haven't heard of this. Maybe she's picked it up off of one of her male dog friends? Sounds like she just hasn't been taught proper dog ettiquete by another female dog! My girl is the same when it comes to cocking her leg and peeing on everything. It's because she's been around a lot of male dogs all of her life.

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Well, there are no male dogs around for Gigi to immitate. This is just something she does. Heck, maybe it just plain feels good to them for all we know.

7. Amcotts

AmcottsNew Member

Threads:
    Well, this is not bad to be worried. I mean, it seems to be good that you dog is leading an active life. Try
    to get her in more physical activities. It will enhance its confidence to precede in the life. Hope, when she will
    be in global contests.
    Explore its hidden abilities and don't be concerned about you loss, like me! :)

#7Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015