Does Rain Make you Depressed?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by aimeep80 • Oct 15, 2014.

1. aimeep80

aimeep80New Member

Threads:
    It seems as if we have had more rain in the past couple of weeks then we had the entire summer. Its a little chilly, which is fine, but the rain really seems to make me depressed. I'm sure it does this to the majority of the population. I feel down and very tired when it rains like it has been. I'm thankful to be alive and thankful for another day, but I just absolutely miss the sunshine. Anyone else feel this way?

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I've never had that problem where I get depressed or sad when it rains. I've heard a couple of other people that say get feel down when it rains and I just don't get it. I don't let the type of weather effect my mood. I'm pretty consistent day to day, and I get my mood from other factors such as how much sleep I got on a given night, or what other things are going on in my life.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a serious drought in California. We need rain so desperately. I would love to see rain. Rain would not make me be depressed.

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't get depressed when it rains. I don't associate it with any special memories or whatever. I just don't like it when I have to go outside when it rains since it's very inconvenient. I don't like taking an umbrella and worry that my shoes/clothes might get wet. Sometimes it's really messy when it rains plus the fact that roads/pavements are a bit slippery when it rains. Not to mention the traffic, I don't know why but where I'm from, traffic will instantly build up when it rains :confused: which makes traveling by car hard too.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a teacher back in secondary school who used to suffer from seasonal depression. It was a shame because he was an awesome teacher, and he was an English teacher. My favorite subject. He was the only person I knew - that I know of - who was affected so drastically by weather changes. I, myself, have never been effected by rain in this way. I enjoy rain. I like how it looks, and how it smells. And I love being inside when it is raining. It makes me appreciate the warmth and dry surroundings of home so much more.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the complete opposite. I absolutely adore the rain. It's refreshing and life giving and relaxing. It's just another thing about our amazing planet that makes me appreciate it that much more. I know.. a little too deep for something we're all so used to and take for granted lol, but life is what you make it... I love the sunshine, but I also love the rain. It has it's purpose and I give it purpose.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. I feel happy when it rains. It's like a treat. I don't think it rains often enough in Miami and I thought about moving to a rainier climate.
    My favorite things about rain are the sound and the smell. When it doesn't rain for a while, I sometimes put on those relaxation Youtube videos that have rain or waterfall sounds.
    The scent in the air after it rains is wonderful. I buy things like rain scented candles but nothing compares to the real thing.

8. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Only if I'm already sad to begin with :p I love the rain! To me, rain is so cleansing and refreshing (plus I'm in California and we haven't seen real rain in forever). I know some people suffer from SAD (or SADD) though.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    People who get depressed from rain, are ignorant of the fact that many people across the planet, have to walk miles every day just to get a pot of water to cook food - some humans don't even get water and have to drink the blood of animals to quench their thirsts! I'm always glad when it rains, because it affirms nature is being and doing in balance and that I'm going to have water to use.

People who get depressed from rain, need to wake up and see that it's all natural processes, so quit whining - it's not what happens to you that matters only, it's how you react physically and mentally to it.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it does, I don't notice since I've been depressed for a good chunk of my life. I do miss the sunshine because I hate the cold seasons but the only thing I hate about the rain really is my dogs getting wet. Sassy from Homeward Bound said it best "nothing smells worse than wet dog".

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Rain refreshes the earth. It brings joy to the plants thirsty of water, to the birds and other living things.. including HUMAN. To get depressed when it is raining is by choice.

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    On the contrary it makes me feel warm and fuzzy and sleepy. Indoor activities are more fun when it rains outside. Of course my area does not get a lot of rain so it is kind of like snow for me.

13. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    The rain is lovely and i like when it takes place, i think that it does not occur often enough. A comforting period, oftentimes spent with my blankets close to my favorite foods and of course with the TV close by. If the roof is a zinc top, that compounds the sensation when the beats can be heard on the roof and it just feels heavenly...I love when it rains.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really. There are times the weather gets the better of me, but there are also times when I'm preoccupied with other things to even think about the weather and how it affects me. I guess I've become immune to weather changes. I occasionally find it soothing to watch the rain pelting through your glass windows. When I'm in the mood to write a story, then so much the better.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually cheer up when it's raining because it's usually shoot and humid here that I can help but feel a lot more light hearted when some cool breeze finally arrives. Sometimes it can get annoying when the rain doesn't stop and I have to stay indoors but ultimately I am thankful because I still prefer cold weather over hot weather any day.

16. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I find the rain to be quite comforting. I like to stare out my window when it rains (as much as i possible can anyway). There's just something calming about watching the water just fall from the sky. I tend to use those times as times of reflection and think about my life; where I've been and where I am going. I think the rain really helps slow the world down. It's like a way for the world to clean itself and in turn it cools the world down as well.

17. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Give me a good lightning flashing thunderstorm any day of the week. I love the adrenaline rush, but there are those nice quiet rains that seem to draw romance and ease. But, I guess we can all get too much of a good thing until it does get a little depressing.

18. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't say it makes me depressed, but it definitely makes me more tired and sleepy. I live in an area where it rains a lot (Pacific Northwest) so maybe I'm just used to it. It also helps that I actually love the rain and find it very soothing. That being said, I am looking forward to the days where I don't have to really dress for the weather!

19. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I like rain sometimes. It makes me kind of cold and gives me a good excuse to relax on the couch under a blanket with a good book. I do remember a summer, though, that was so incredibly wet. I mean the rain came down every single day for what seemed like forever. The sound of it hitting the roof of the house was so monotonous for so long that, yeah, it got a little depressing. Everything was flooded. I think that was in '94.

20. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    The rains has always made me feel sleepy and bored. I tend to want to stay in bed, eat ice cream, and watch movies.