Do You Walk?

Discussion in Travel started by remnant • Jul 11, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, now I am impressed! I say that 50 km a day is way too much for those unprepared, so you have to be in a special category of walkers. More, 30 km per day is insane! I wish I was fit enough to do that, as we could certainly cover a lot of ground and see new things, but it would be the whole day dedicated to that.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry if I could not explain it properly. I am a regular walker for years and walk almost 7-8 km every day at a brisk pace but I have walked 50-60 km for a reason like when I missed my last buses (I missed them frequently) during my long stays in hilly areas where they stopped bus services at 5 in the evening. The one I mentioned about walking 30 km a day that is normal during Bushwalking campaigns which last from 1 day to 7 days depending on various campaigns and organizers.Have a look at this link which will provide you a better idea-

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    No problem, and thanks for explaining further, as it has gotten even more interesting. :) So you lost your bus and had to walk 50 km because of that? That must have been painful.

Lately I've been a little lazy to walk, I have an injured knee, and knew yesterday I'll have to do surgery! So healthy walking will have to wait.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    When you consider all of the things out there and the ways to go about staying healthy, and also saving money, few things can beat just making sure you walk around during the day or take a walk at some point. I try to do it at least once a day.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 I generally walk early in the morning as a part of my routine workouts for years which I do not miss even if I sleep late. However, I am kinda walking crazy so would go to any distance. I have walked long distance as well shorter ones in hilly areas, in forests, and walking treks.

#65Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2017
  6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I love the early mornings or the hour close to sunset because those are the most beautiful time of day. Just before sunrise there is almost no one in the streets, so it's really peaceful. I didn't used to walk at that time though, but to ride my bike, I cover a lot more ground using it, and it's equally healthy. :)

7. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I walk my commute, about 5 miles round trip, every week day year round. This is my only source of exercise but is quite sufficient to keep my weight healthy and my resting heart rate around 65. And the best part is that it provides enough exercise that I can have my daily hamburger or donut without any guilt whatsoever,

In my opinion the human body is created to benefit most from exercise in the form of walking. That is what our ancestors probably spent most of their time doing rather than jogging or weightlifting or whatever else the exercise gurus will come up with.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Though I transport a lot using the provided cars for my work I still manage to keep a schedule to do this simple exercise of trekking at least thrice a week. I take my exercises seriously and the easiest I can get to do is trekking. Every week I think I am able to cover a distance of at least 15 kilometers every week trekking.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I really love to walk. I regularly use the walk as a physical exercise (since 2010) for at least 5 days a week (at least 45 minutes per day, never less than that). Walking provides several health benefits, and is a very enjoyable exercise to be done (and since I live near the beach, the exercise is even more interesting and fun).

10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do prefer walking many times for health purpose. Not only near places, sometimes I go for bit far places too. But yes it depends on time we have. Yes it is helpful in many ways. We can have good health by regular walking and of course we can save some money too. Also if more people follow this thing then we can control the pollution too.

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I usually ride a bicycle to the park from my house and that is near shopping, and then lock my bike at the park(they have bike racks). This is near the town square,and you can walk to shopping,and carry your backpack with you from there. So I ride into town and then walk from there,and everything is right together,the food store,post office and other places as well,but its not really a small town. So yes I walk and ride a bicycle,and also like to run in the park before heading home,and I have a bike basket on the front so I can put the backpack full of groceries in it,so it makes It easy on the back.

12. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Just recently I started to walk more often because I have more free time, and surprisingly enough I am as fast as when I travel by car, considering short distances within the city. I am loving it, as there is no parking fee, no fuel spend, and I am benefiting my health, so what could be better?

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    That's what we do (my hubby and I) whenever we go out if it's just a few meters away, or probably a few kilometers. Walking is a great form of exercise, not only it can help you lose weight (if you're trying to lose those extra pounds), but it's also good for the health, plus it will also save you some money, or a lot if you do it everyday or every time you go out :) We just don't do it during the day, during the afternoon since it's too hot.

14. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, nothing like avoiding the hot weather. I am doing physiotherapy because of a surgery I had, and now I am realizing things I never did, like for example walking less than 1Km makes me spend around 40 calories, so if I walk more, I am burning my fat and controlling my weight. All this for free! :D

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update I do not want to burn any fat because I consider my weight very much within reasonable limit but walking is my old habit and sometimes I feel I cannot live without that. I think it's one of the easiest ways of keeping you fit and healthy without spending a single penny provided you walk regularly. I have been at it for almost well over a decade and never miss a chance of having to walk an extra kilometer.

16. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I envy you when you say you have the right weight, as I need to lose some, not much, but some. The thing is that walking is an excellent habit, and I am learning that out of necessity right now, and to be honest I think I will start walking a lot more in the future as I think I am feeling more activated and with more energy just because I am doing it. ;)

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Yes I am proud of my weight as I am 6'2 and weigh in the range of 73-76 kg right from my college days. I have mentioned it on different occasions that I have walked more than 40-50 km at a stretch when I had to for my demographic demands (in hilly areas). But otherwise also, I walk and jog almost 5 plus kilometers almost everyday as my routine habit.

#77Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 That's really great. I always try to be consistent but somehow I get lazy and ended up by quitting it. Then again I start it and then again I stop it and things continue like this only. Lol

I always wants to stay fit but unfortunately I am having bit extra weight. So I need to reduce it for sure.

#78Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Walking is a passive form of exercise. As a way of exercising ourselves I sometime do walking in company of a few friends, on good days we are able to trek some reasonable kilometers. In addition, I have on some occasions alight from the cab when I am around two kilometers to my house to trek the remaining the distance.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Even here in Australia if I do not have to visit multiple place I walk to railway station about one kilometer and ravel to the nearest railway station of my client. It gives me cool walk of 6-8 km every time. In fact walking in this country is one of the biggest hobbies for me.