Do You Walk?

Discussion in Travel started by remnant • Jul 11, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes there are inconveniences in mass transportation and at other times, one is not in a hurry to reach their destination. At such times, I prefer to walk. Not only does it confer dividends in terms of health but it also saves on money that would have been used on transportation. Sometimes I don't wait for vehicles but walk ahead from a bus stop and I pay less since I have covered a certain distance.

2. Narumiya

NarumiyaNew Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I do walk! I walk a lot around my university campus, even though we have shuttles that offer to take you to places for a minimal fee. If it's close enough and you're not in a rush, then why not, right? It's good exercise as well! And since my university campus is an open one, I get to pass by joggers, people walking their pets, that sort of thing. I can get some fresh air and sunshine, too.

I don't really go to the gym (I'm a lazy bum so I don't think I could justify the costs of a gym membership if I don't go often!) so walking is my form of exercise now. I walk close to about five kilometers a day. Not much, but at least I'm walking. :)

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy walking, especially, if I am not in a hurry to get somewhere.
    It definitely saves money that you would otherwise spend either on gas or for the bus/tram fare.
    I am also one of those lazy persons who doe snot go to the gym even though I should, so I always see walking a little bit extra as doing some sports that I usually don't do.

4. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah me too.

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I started walking a lot out of necessity when my car had a major breakdown and it took me 6 weeks to save up the money to repair it. However, once the car was fixed, I was so used to walking that I still continued to walk places that were close. I really have seen significant health benefits through weight-loss, elevated energy levels, and better moods. My father is amazed at some of the places that I refuse to drive to now because they are "too close". I pretty much walk anywhere within two miles of the house. Anything two to five miles from the house are subjected to a nice stroll as well, depending on the weather and the amount of time I have available on any given day.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really have no destinations that are close enough to walk to from here, or it would be dangerous to do so. I do walk though, when I am in a shopping area. I will sometimes park a distance away so I can get a little walk in when I am going somewhere it makes it better in terms of exercise, and I can get a walk in that is very helpful actually. I like walking.

7. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I always walked, even when I got my first car. My job was a quarter mile from my house, and I worked the over night shift, so I didn't have to worry about walking in the heat. The only times that I drove was when I woke up late or something else was going to make me late.

I didn't do it for the exercise, I did it because I'm not lazy, and it saved me money on gas seeing as how my car was a gas guzzler.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom walk and the only walking I do is when I eat out for lunch break in the office. There is a nearby commercial center with many eateries, about half a kilometer away. But when we are abroad, walking if the order of the day. My feet were always complaining of too much walking. Like in our recent trip to Hongkong, we would walk all the way to the train station instead of taking a taxi (taxicab is expensive in other countries so we try to avoid taking a cab). Making matters worse, the weather was so hot in Hongkong that our clothes are drenched the whole day.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I pretty much drive everywhere. I live in a huge city and mass transportation is available, but it is a mess. And walking somewhere is close to impossible. Of course, if it's nearby you can walk, but it's very rare that you need to go somewhere that is nearby because everything is so far away.

10. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    Oh yes! If I have the time, I always walk. Walking is a great way to relax and catch up on some exercise. Always walk when you can!

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy walking, that seems to be the best time to do some serious thinking for me. I often will not wait for the bus if I have missed it and the next one is an hour wait, walking can be faster for me. Walking helps to keep the weight down which is also a good reason to walk as often and as far as I can.

12. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Yep! I do that as much as I can. I don't usually go to the gym or play sports, so that's the way I'm keeping my legs strong enough. Also, I enjoy wandering through the place where I live as I love it so much. And, most importantly, I like meeting new people along the way while running errands.

13. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmyMember

Threads:
    Brisk walking had been the form of exercise that I am doing if ever I have the free time. But lately last month when I started to be working full time again I walked many times everyday. In the morning when going to the subway train station I do too many walking. Then from the train station going to the bus station long walking again. Everyday like this But I am glad that I am able to perform even a simple form of exercise.

#13Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on the distance that has to be covered. Anything longer than 10 miles and I won't walk. And to be honest walking can be quite dangerous if you are traveling and are in a place you don't know that well. You could get lost, head straight into a bad neighborhood and have a chat with some unsavory characters — things you don't want. If it's safe to walk, do it. If it isn't then do what must be done. Be patient, use public transport if you have to.

15. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I'm without a car right now, and I do a lot of walking. I really do enjoy it and my kids don't seem to mind it as much as in the beginning. They even will walk to the train station, which is a 20 minute walk from our house, rather than wait for the bus and honestly, I do it too.

I'm considering getting a car and when the kids found out, they wanted to know if I'll still walk to the grocery store and other places in our community, and the answer is yes. I think if there isn't a storm outside, I'll continue to walk to a lot of places.

16. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I walk a lot and long distances too. You must allow yourself time to get to your destination. That is what I love about google maps, they give you distance in walking time, public transport, and automobile. Walking is not only healthy because you are using your body, and don't need to arrive to work sweaty, but it allows you time to think and organize your thoughts. The Mayo Clinic came out with other health benefits of walking if you would like to check it out:

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love walking and wish I could do a lot more of it! When I lived in the UK, I was able to cover a lot more ground because even though the weather tends to be horrible, it's better that the intense heat over here. Obviously, power walking soon gets your heart pumping and your temperature rising, so I kept warm that way. I could walk and walk for miles and never be bored! As a result, I was able to keep the weight off without even trying. Now that I don't walk anywhere as much, I have put on about 5kg, which for such a petite person like me may as well be 15kg LOL A laugh or cry situation :(

18. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I like walking and it is a very good form of exercise. One of the benefits of walking is that it improves circulation all throughout the body and this benefits the heart. It is also a good way to save money since if one has to travel on a bus to get to their destination, they have to pay a fee for that service. If the place is within reasonable walking distance, then it may be best just to walk, especially if one is not in any particular hurry to get there. Using the stairway in some places rather than the elevator is also another form of walking and getting much needed exercise.

19. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It does makes sense to walk as much as you are able to because of the benefits that it may contribute to a healthy lifestyle. There may be times that you may have not walked for any considerable distance for quite a while and you may now have to walk a distance after which you realise that your body seems to be experience a bit of strain because of the lack of meaningful activity. Your body needs to be exposed to constant exercise activity to perform at a optimal level and walking is one of the means of obtaining some of the required activity.

20. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    My parents house is about 100 yards from my house. They are in their 90s and I spend a lot of time going between the houses. I generally walk from place to place, but in the August heat I have taken a reprieve and am actually driving that short distance. I am missing out on good exercise and money savings. But truly, the heat is sweltering. I will return to my normal routine around the first week of September, I estimate.