Do You Volunteer?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by remnant • Apr 12, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I love charitable causes because they enable one not to concentrate on oneself and get a picture of how others fare. I have never strictly been a volunteer but I have taught in low cost schools in which service mattered more than the stipend emanating from it. I am also trying hard to develop the habit of giving. Where do you volunteer?

2. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    I foster dogs.

Before becoming a foster for the Humane Society I didn't realize the positive impact that pets have on your life. Growing up I was never allowed to have a dog. Being able to foster different dogs and learn about the different behavioral patterns has been very rewarding for me. You never really know what you're capable of until you stretch your limits. What do I mean? Well before this I had an almost "phobia" of doggie doo and the thought of picking it up - now I'm not even phased. Ultimately, I think helping dogs has helped me realize that I might be able to change a diaper one day. Ha.

Seriously though, fostering animals is a very rewarding thing and I recommend it to everyone. Especially people who can't dedicate the time to having a dog forever.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Last year I volunteered for a non-profit whose mission was to help women and girls affected by ISIS. I did a lot of promotional writers. My only issues with them was that the contact was very demanding in terms of turnaround and she could never supply me with background information because I'm not into world issues.

But I like the process so now I'm starting with Girl develop it as a TA and hopefully social media.

4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I highly agree,"that you never really know what you're capable of until you stretch your limits." Fostering dogs has been able to teach you new things and who knows you might be able to write a book about dogs one day.

I haven't volunteered lately. I use to volunteer at my children's schools all the time, with The Girl Scouts, and anything that dealt with gardening, I love working in the soil, planting flowers and vegetables. I still donate money to organizations I love, but I'm looking to get back out there and volunteer once again.

#4Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Volunteering is something we like to do as a couple. We have been able to work on constructrion projects, literacy classes, and help for those with special needs. A great way to start is by inquiring at your local library. They often put on free classes for the community. Also I have noticed that the classified section of the newspaper also offers like classes. One might inquire if volunteers are needed. Many churches and schools offer free use of community rooms.

#5Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I volunteered for three years at a music school for people with different learning abilities, and it was one of the most beautiful experiences in my life. We would help students progress im regular schoolwork as well as teach coordination and people skills using music. One student in particular I got really well along with. He was an autistic man that was incredibly musically gifted. He had what musicians call perfect pitch and could play any song after hearing it only once.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to but not so much anymore. Back when I had more time and money I did and even to this day I wish I could but unfortunately I am a bit short on budget and time myself. I know that some people have it worse than me but I just prefer being in a more comfortable position before giving my time away so as I don't feel too guilty about not allotting more time for myself when I don't feel I have enough yet. Hopefully in the future when I'm in a better situation again I will get back into charity work but for now I just contribute by giving away old clothes and items.

8. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    I just started a new volunteer position with a local spay-neuter nonprofit. It's a great fit for me because I can work on some projects that will improve some career skills I'm looking to strengthen. Since I'm an animal lover and have several rescue pets, I'm happy to help out and I think it's going to be a great situation for all involved!

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to volunteer, but this is a small community and i think I exhausted the things I was interested in. I love animals too, but I am pretty sensitive where animals are concerned. I would end up being depressed because they might not be in ideal conditions or wanting to adopt more pets than I have the ability to care for. I just would take it to heart, I am afraid. Maybe I could do something, but I am not sure what it would be. I know there is a need.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @remnant@remnant...kudos to you, what you're doing is very commendable and noble. I did used to volunteer a bit of my time to help out at a charity shop when I lived in London, and really enjoyed it. But at the moment I really can't spare the time because I can't find a well paying job, so have to do bits and bobs every spare minute I have to supplement my paltry freelancer's wage i'm on. I strongly believe if I have a good job with good prospects, that covered all my outgoings, I would seek out good causes, especially those that help the young and the elderly to volunteer with. At the moment, I can only really focus on keeping my head above water.

11. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    I used to volunteer at a dog shelter when I was younger at like 16 and 17 just to get experience for some work for the future. It was fun and I really enjoyed it but alas it was time to move on to bigger things. Id still like to do it on the side some time though.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also pitch in whenever I can for charitable purposes. However, I don't have much time to give so mostly my contribution is in cash or in kind. Some 2 weeks back when there was this feeding program by the local government in our village, we contributed the drinks for the poor children - juice in tetra packs and milk and milk chocolate as well. The mayor was there and he commended our sensible contribution for the affair.

13. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I volunteered a lot during my High School and College years. My first volunteer labor was as a teacher for iliterate poor people and children. In my college years, I was part of a community project for a school integral reshuffle (infraestructure, electricity, water supply etc.). It was a very satisfying experience.

14. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    If you honestly want to volunteer and it makes you happy to do so then you should do it in your spare time. I'd never knowingly take time off work just to volunteer if it was just a minor thing in my opinion but I'd certainly do it on the side if it brought me happiness.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have all sorts of volunteer experience which started way back in college when one of my professors endorsed a friend and I to a non-profit program manager, who let us worked for him for the duration of time. I also joined various community outreach programs initiated by schools, universities, religious groups and other non-secular organizations.

16. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I never quite thought of it that way - but If running a small rescue center for abandoned and mistreated cats and kittens for the past 12 years - combined with delivering food parcels to the homeless and elderly - often supplemented with my own excess produce - once a week - plus - regularly helping out at the local hospice - as well as accompanying foreign residents to their hospital and doctor appointments in order to translate for them - counts as volunteering - then yes I do.

17. doubleux

doubleuxNew Member

Threads:
    I volunteer with an organization that feeds the poor once a week downtown. A local restaurant sponsors meal ingredients and a few volunteers go early to the kitchen to prepare the meal which is usually sandwiches. We all meet downtown with the sandwiches and bottled water and go to different locations where we know homeless congregate. We then spend time with them and just make conversation. What makes this organization different is that rain or shine we are outside on foot. We also dont focus on shelter like the Good Samaritan, etc, but go to the streets and alleys. And lastly, we foster relationships. I know a few of the homeless on first name basis and know their stories. A few of the people I’ve met have been inspired to return to family who can help them. It’s very fulfilling.

18. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I don't volunteer as much as I'd like to. I don't have a car and unfortunately in the city where I live, there is no public transportation during the weekends which is when a lot of organizations want volunteers to show up for events and the like. I did volunteer at my school after classes because I didn't have to worry about transportation there. During the week I'm busy with classes and though I'm free most afternoons getting to and from places is a huge ordeal and I don't want to be riding the bus for three hours daily, much less on the way home at night. I know that volunteering is a fulfilling activity so I look forward to finding some organization to volunteer with this summer.

19. GraceMarie

GraceMarieNew Member

Threads:
    I used to when there was a homeless shelter right nearby. I miss it and felt guilty when I saw this, so hopefully I'll get back to giving back soon.

20. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    When I lived in Egypt, I volunteered at an animal santuary which I did for a few years. I mucked out the runs for camels, goats, donkeys, dogs and helped with their fundraising events as well as helping out on a stall to raise money for them.

I also volunteered cleaning up the uninhabited islands picking up rubbish, and also helped pick up the rubbish on the mainland as well. Beach cleanups were great fun, I loved it.