Do You Turn Off Your Lights?

Discussion in Utilities started by SLTE • Oct 23, 2015.

1. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I read this science article before somewhere which mentioned that turning off lights when you sleep helps in your blood circulation. It also helps your spleen clean your blood properly of waste. Ever since, I always turn off the lights before sleeping. I forgot what the mechanism is behind this activity, sorry guys if I can't elaborate more.

2. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I often turn off the light because I like it dark at night. And sleeping with no light is the best sleep.

3. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I almost always keep my lights off during the day, I have lots of windows though, and at night I literally only have usually one or two on at a time, I insist that everything that can be unplugged when not in use be unplugged (also because my house is old).

4. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    I turn off the light if they are not necessary. If they are not being used or nobody is in that room, then it should be turned off. I have changed all of my light bulbs in my house with LED bulbs. CFCs are actually old technology. Over 30 years I believe.

But the main culprit when it come to heavy electric usage, is appliances. Your refrigerator uses 1000 watts when it cycles to make the refrigerator cold. You clothes dryer uses 4000 watts of power while in use. The main focus should be these pieces of equipment if you really want to save on electricity.

Everyone should try and hang dry your clothes. The sun is free so take advantage of that. Free is the cheapest.

As for the your refrigerator, if you don't have that much food stored away in the first place, you shouldn't need a huge one in the first place. Get a smaller one that requires less power. Or better yet, if you have the time and money, purchase a DC powered cooler for food items and get a small solar system set up to power it and a small battery during the day. You will see significant savings every month.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually try to make sure all lights that are not in use to be off. I try to keep all lights off during the day since I consider the natural sunlight to be enough, on the other hand my husband turns on the lights either way and it drives me crazy. At night I do let one light on since my daughter is scared of the dark.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have started using LED bulbs which has reduced the bills by almost 20-30%. As far turning the lights off My wife and I both see to it that no light is on where it is not necessary. Saving the electricity is like saving the environment besides saving on fuels, coal and other natural resources.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use energy saving bulbs for this reason I don't worry much about turning off the inner lights. I know that it won't amount to an unnecessarily high bill at end of month. One thing I always put off the lights in the room during sleep at night.

8. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, I always preferred the lights to be on as long as I'm aware that I'm awake. Now I can't sleep with any lights on. At night, after I'm done with my daily work, I turn off every single light in the house then go to bed. I can't really sleep with lights showing anywhere so even my windows have to be covered.

9. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Well we do not use them all the time, we turn them on around 6pm, just the ones being used of course. We have this thing if automatically switching off light that aren't going to be used. Like if we leave the room, we automatically turn of the light though they don't consume a lot of the bill.

10. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I turn off all my lights before going to sleep but I leave the television plugged in. I like to wake up and just reach for my remote to quickly turn on the television. I turn off all the lights because light bothers me while attempting to sleep but if it's just to save money, I don't really mind because my electricity bill comes cheap.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do the same as well. I always want to save energy that's whenever there are things that aren't in use, like lights and fans, I automatically switch them off to conserve power. Not only that, I just don't want to see them on without anyone using it, it makes me uncomfortable for I don't know reasons. I think that's a good thing as well so I can make it a hobby turning off things that aren't in use.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that information. Darkness also helps you get a good night sleep. In fact darkness is a key factor inducing sleep in you. I will tell you how, there is a pea-sized gland called pineal in our brain which releases a hormone called melatonin. But in light pineal gland is inactive and it becomes active in dark only. Then it start producing melatonin, raising melatonin level in our blood which results in a sound sleep.

So in light we can't get a good sleep due to absence of enough melatonin in blood, even though it is present in a smaller quantity. So by switching off the light at night we are not only saving money but also reducing our expenses on medicines and hospital bills.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't sleep even if a small light is on so I see to it that everything is switched off before I finally retire for the day. I can't stand even the LED of TV or mosquito killer so I put it at back side. But I was not aware that switching lights out help your blood circulation though.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been used to sleeping with the lights on in our bedroom. It is my habit to read before sleeping so my eyes will get tired and I will fall asleep. Another purpose of the lights turned on is to deter any potential intruder in our home. The cops say that lights at night truly discourages criminals. That is a minimal investment as a good security measure for our home.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I do make a point of switching off lights that are not necessary. I advise the same to the family members and do the same at work.

However, I am not obsessed with the fact that lights are left on. Although, it pinches me when I see the electricity bill.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Here at home we all take turns to watch the lights and always turn off what is not being used at some specific time.

Any economy is valid no matter the amount and this simple "inspection" (which is pretty effective, by the way) always generates some good savings at the end of each month. :cool:

17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like taking any chance that could lead to a mishap. Whenever I am leaving my house I'd make sure all lights are turned off, that way my mind is fully at rest I wouldn't think of a spark or any form of electrical problem coming from my apartment. If I'm at home it's okay if the lights are on, though I always ensure the outside lights are put out during the day.

18. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @biege@biege Well, I've never heard about any of those benefits, but that sure is interesting. I do sleep better with no light on in my room though. That's for sure.

I turn off the lights to conserve energy and save money. Even though we have the LED light bulbs, I still don't see the point of leaving something on when you're not using it. If I leave a room, off it goes. I guess it's just become a bit of a habit now.

On the rare occasion that a light does get left on, I'm usually the first one to notice it. I'm pretty quick to go and turn it off.

#58Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like wastage of anything so I always switch off everything as soon as my purpose is solved or no one is present in a room. I am planning to have self turn off/on switch for certain places in my house which are generally left on by family members. As far I am concerned I think it's like a criminal offence if some one waste energy sources.

20. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    It doesn't drive me nuts when I use light but I often try to use little as possible.When it's close to night I try to use as little light as possible, mostly because I prefer darkness.I don't go as far as too completely unplug everything within my household but do what I can to conserve the lights I have.