Do You Truly Treat Your Pet As Part Of The Family?

Discussion in Pets started by thepieeatingjay • Feb 11, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I love my cat as though she were my younger sister that shape-shifted into a cat. I don't know how to validate reasons for treating her as a family, but I do care for her a lot. I talk to her as if she could understand me, as if she were a real person. Yes, she's like a family to me now. :p

2. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    For now I only have fish in a fishtank, but in the past I've had dogs and birds, and I treated them like family. They were treated well, I wish that I could have treated them much better though. When I had them, I didn't have all the knowledge that I needed at the time to take care of them as properly as I would have liked to. They were definitely part of the family though, because I loved them.

3. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think so! We can treat our pets with loving, caring, and consideration as the rest of the family, but when it comes to life and dead, I bet you everyone will chose to save the child rather than the pet. So pets can't be compared on the same level.

4. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I treat my two dogs as if they were my children. There are a few differences, but for the most part they are my fur-babies. I do not have to provide certain things for them that I would children, so I suppose that makes it a bit different. But they have more toys & treats than two dogs would ever need. If I am gone for too many hours during the day they go to "Grandma's" or a local doggie day care. In addition, my small dog has a medium size coat collection because she is picky about going outside in the cold weather. If need be, I would sacrifice my own needs to ensure that they have the same food and toys as they always have.

5. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    The closest way we treat our cats as family, is letting them walk anywhere they want. They walk on the tables and cabinets. I am not a big fan of it but they were originally my husbands and that is what he did. Other then that they are more like a pet.

6. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I really do treat my cat Isis as part of the family and I have been doing this ever since she was a little kitten. I talk to Isis because she is definitely like family and she will meow which is so cute. Another thing I do is pick her up at times and give her a hug. Isis gave me a kiss on the nose before and it was always the cutest thing.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! Our pets have always been family members to us. However, we avoid personifying them. When I say personifying I mean dressing them up, seating them with us when we are having dinner, or letting them sleep inside the bedroom. Our pets are well-taken care of and treated as family, but we have boundaries. We do not want them to have an identity crisis. If you watch Cesar's show, you will see a lot of dogs who get confused about whether they are really dogs or not. They become overprotective of their humans, so they become aggressive.

8. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    Of course! I treat my cat as part of the family. He gets to eat rice like we do. I play with him whenever he wants to play or when I come home from work. I rub his belly and feel his purr, and I even shower him with cat kisses because he kisses me first (cat kisses are those blinking tics cats do when they like you and are satisfied with your company). He also acts like the little brother who hates to take a bath because he really hates to take a bath. Sigh...

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I treat them as pets, no matter how much I love them, in the end that's what they are. Some people like to sleep with their pets or share food with them all the time, but that's just not for me.
    The pets I've had have always been very pampered though, I just have clear boundaries about what I like and don't like them doing.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We sure do, they've always ruled the house and are usually the center of attention at all times. Honestly, without our pets, we would be at each others throats all day getting on each others nerves. The pets act as sort of a buffer/distraction, and keep the house calm.

When we had three dogs, they would regularly sleep with us (well two of them would, and the third, our beagle, would sleep in her own dog bed). We couldn't comfortably fit all three dogs on the bed with us at the same time. It was already a struggle with two. Currently we have three cats, and while they don't sleep in the bed with us (by their own choice), they do like to sleep in the same room with us in their own chosen spots.

With the dogs, they loved table foods and got plenty of it - in fact on Thanksgiving we would specifically fix all three of them their own plates so they would get stuffed and leave us alone and not beg the whole time. When the weather was nice we took them for ice cream. The cats just really enjoy getting to hang out outside for a while when the weather is good, and seldom beg for table food (thankfully). But they do regularly beg for their canned food.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My dog lives indoors, watches TV on the couch with me, sleeps in my bed and eats Thanksgiving turkey with us.
    Plus, I have turned down apartments that didn't allow pets. He's definitely my second kid.

12. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    My dog is like a baby to me and I treat him like one every day. He sleeps in my bed with me every night, I dress up my dog but not in ridiculous clothes.. he gets a sweater in the fall and a coat and boots in the winter and he really appreciates it because without the boots he screams from the cold, we buy him Christmas presents every year and we put thought and care into the food he eats no different than we would a baby.

13. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I treat my dog like family. At least I think I do. She has her own bed. And always has the option of sleeping with me. I talk to her like she's a person, including thank you and please. If she wants in my lap, I'll not tell her no. Just like any of my kids. If I run out of dog food, I'll never eat if she doesn't eat. She has her own toys and toy box. I play with her and love on her whenever she wants. I basically treat her like I do my children. That's how I see her... as my child.

14. BethD

BethDNew Member

Threads:
    I do treat my pet as part of the family because he is. It's not just about feeding them or walking them, those are the necessities. I think what shows he is truly part of the family is how we treat his feelings. Now many of you may laugh but my dog knows a lot of words and knows what I am saying most of the time. He gets across to me what he wants and thinks in a very big way. If he wants to do something my daughter or husband is doing, he will let you know and want to be included. If he is bored and wants to play, he will let you know. He needs attention, just as people do and he gets it because he is a part of the family and we want him to be happy. His "voice" is heard. Do we spoil him? Yes, absolutely, but I spoiled my daughter too and she came out just fine.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not have pets at the moment, we did have pets when the kids were smaller. We have had two dogs that I talked to as if they were people, it was amazing to see them respond to me as if they understood what I was talking about. We have had cats that just refused to be friendly and talk to me in a nice way.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it is really easy to treat your pets as a part of the family. They sort of are, even though they are not human, and you usually cannot talk to them - even though there have been cases of dogs talking and such lol. I don't even have interactive pets. I own fishes, and I cannot stroke them or anything, but I still consider them to be a fixture of our family.

17. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Er. I talk to the hamster more affectionately than I usually talk to my mother-in-law, that much I can say!

18. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Oh my goodness, I know EXACTLY what you mean! I will actually go outside with mine just to avoid my mother in law all together. And I never show the respect for her as I do all my pets. If I had to choose between them, I would choose my pets.

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Hahhaa exactly, yes. It feels like such a cliché. But honestly, I used to like her -- but then I had to live with her a while and travel with her, and a few times working with her... It really was just way downhill from there. I also try to avoid having to be around her or talking to her much.

On the other side I feel very happy every time when I see my cute lil' hamster, good enough to uplift any bad mood. :) I would not say I love my pet as much as my own mom, but extended family and in-laws? Yup, I could say that.

20. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I liked my mother in law at first... and then I got to know her.
    I prefer my animals to all my family, except kids and hubby. They're a lot more loyal, and in some cases a lot smarter. All of the things people love about pets, are all the things my family members don't have and aren't capable of.