Do You Think Wearing Fur Is Acceptable?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by isabbbela • Jul 4, 2016.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been very worried about animal testing lately, because I decided to become a vegan. I have been getting a lot of hate from family and friends to not become a vegan, because the say it is too "extreme". I think saying it is extreme is outrageous, when people think it's OK to wear fur from another animal . What is your take on wearing fur? Do you think it is acceptable ? Do you own any?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm personally strongly opposed to people wearing authentic fur. I'm a huge animal lover and just can't get my head around why people can't just settle for a good fake. Plus, I always think it looks, dare I say it...TACKY! That fur looks miles better on the animals which were naturally born with it. I personally would never own one, and as soon as I see someone donning one, my estimation of them goes down to zero.

I'm not sure why your family's so opposed to you going vegan! Surely that's your own personal choice, or are you trying to rope them in as well?! I eat meat, but I would never object to any one of my friends and family going vegan as all as long as they didn't start getting all precious about it and preaching to me LOL

3. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Unless you are some kind of troglodyte living isolated from society and surviving by hunting and forage, I don't see any reason for you or any person to wear fur from exotic animals. Because I bet nobody is interested in wearing fur from livestock, no, they want to wear the beauty of wild animals. Even when synthetic clothing is prettier and cheaper, some disgusting people want fur only for social status distinction. There is nothing more repulsive than a damn fashion snob.

4. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Wearing fur is acceptable. I just think it is unnecessary. The purpose of a coat is to be warm. We can be warm without wearing fur. I don't believe I would enjoy wearng fur knowing something was killed to make it. It isn't necessary like it was in the 1800's. Besides, I don't think fur is the status symbol it used to be.

5. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    I dislike the thought of wearing animal fur but at the same time....car seats, shoes, etc are leather that I have.

6. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, it is tacky, there are some fur coats that looks so disgusting, but people wear them because it shows status. Or at least back in the 1900's if you had some fur, you had bank roll.

In the 21st century, people are more conscious about the awareness of harming other animals for so many different reasons, and wearing fur these days is looked down upon by many. I don't like it, but it's clothing that people will continue to wear.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm against wearing fur because it's cruel and isn't really fashionable. Some people still think it is and I know many goodwill stores won't take real fur items on ethical grounds.

I think people should have a choice, but I would not be friends with someone who chooses to wear fur.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm neither for nor against wearing fur. I've heard of humane ways used to trap animals but considering that most of that fur comes from China I don't entirely believe those claims. Nonetheless I also don't buy PETA's claims that animals are skinned alive in China to get their fur. Animals however for ages have provided humans with meat, milk and more so fur should be another product humans get from them.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree, it's just so dated I don't get why some of these people actually think it's all that fashionable. It now shows a status alright, LOW CLASS LOL It may have been very en vogue at some point way back in time, but clearly these people are stuck in a time warp of epic proportions. But for all our protestations, if they have the money, they will go out and get that fur coat. I also agree it's a personal choice, but like Theo, I wouldn't make friends with such people.

10. Sydney M.

Sydney M.Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't really care for furs, especially if you're only wearing them as a fashion statement than for function. I've owned one fur, which my grandfather gave me from Moscow for Christmas (as strange as I felt wearing it, it was actually quite amazing at keeping me warm). I feel that in today's society there a many alternatives to wearing furs, so there really isn't a need for me to buy them. I don't think I'd ever purchase my own fur, but if you will respect the animal you killed, then be my guest.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I like faux fur, but I don't think people should wear real furs. I understand that it's a fashion statement or whatever, but I don't agree with it. Besides, I hate hearing about the little baby harp seals that are clubbed to death for their fur. Just thinking about it makes me sad. With so many options out there and the fact that faux furs exist, I don't see why anyone would be proud to wear the real thing.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you mean synthetic/faux fur, then there's no problem wearing it at all. They usually don't animal test a product unless certain chemicals are involved and scientists want to know if it's fit for human use. For fur, they either use animals with good fur (bear, minx, leopard, etc.) or a material that mimics the texture and feel of original fur. Faux fur isn't bad but once animals are used, you can definitely question the moral standards of those who manufactured such products.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think individually there is not much wrong in wearing fur especially if you hunted the animal and ate the meat and are merely making the most use out of it, but the questionable part is when it becomes acceptable enough to be turned into a business wherein many people are doing it and they themselves don't see the consequences of what they are doing because they just pay money out of their wallet instead of killing the animal themselves. When it gets turned into a business then the way it becomes a norm is what I'd say is more unacceptable rather than just the act itself.

14. cecejailer

cecejailerMember

Threads:
    No, I think people who wear fur are the worst kind of human beings, specially when you remember that it's possible to make near identical clothes with synthetic fur. If you don't have to kill animals to wear something you like to wear, why do it anyways? Just because it's not you that's killing them, doesn't mean you're not supporting a disgusting market that grows because of human egocentrism.

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like clothes with fur. It just does not give me a good feeling. People who wear it seem arrogant to me. Of course, many celebrities think it is cool but because they can afford it and it makes them stand out of the crowd. I would never buy or wear fur!