Do you think feeding your dog scraps is a good idea?

Discussion in Pets started by Dora M • Jul 13, 2014.

1. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have a small dog, Radar is a chaweiner! He expects to have a bite or two of whatever I eat so if I don't think it is something that would be good for him, like pinto beans, I just give him the juice or just a taste.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm okay with feeding my dogs scraps. We had one back then and dog food wasn't very popular in our area yet so we just fed him scraps,, and he lived a very long life without much diseases or complications. I'm not entirely sure if he would have turned out somewhat better or been able to live a bit longer had we fed him dog food, though, so I guess if you want to be sure then it is the best option.

3. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I remember growing up in my family our dog always ate what we had leftover. Our dog would not eat dog food because he was so use to the table food that we ate. However; I do not think feeding your dog scraps may be a good idea. I have a friend with a small dog. They always fed their dog scraps. Over the years her dog became very sick and the vet says it was a result of eating table food or scraps. I own a dog, and I always feed my dog pet food. He may be okay with scraps, but I don't want to take any chances. I think it is best to consult with your vet to determine if feeding your pet scraps is okay.

4. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's important to note, just because a pet likes a particular food doesn't mean it's healthy. Just like we humans enjoy junk food.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I think that's pretty obvious. If this was the case, my doggies wouldn't want chicken bones so bad as they could easily choke on them. Some dogs will eat anything. Lily would eat anything off the ground if I let her.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dogs need to eat food that is made especially for them, so they get all the protein and nutrients they need. So buying good quality dog food is essential for a dog to grow up without illnesses and strong and healthy. With that being said, I do feel my dog scrapes from my food, like chicken, lean meat and low fat cheese when he whines too much, and it usually mix that in his dog food bowl so he will eat both. It's like a treat.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I've run out of dog food and had to feed my dog scraps to tide him over until I could buy more dog food, I noticed that his stomach didn't respond well to people food because we use spices.
    He had a lot of flatulence and it was pretty pungent, so from now on, I'm going to try to avoid running out of dog food if I can help it. My dog's stomach doesn't respond well to human food that has spices in it.

8. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. Commercial dog foods can be an issue with alot of the unhealthy ingredients they sometimes put in them along with the fact that there are alot of recalls on them as well. But if you choose to not feed your dog commercial food then I think as a pet owner it should be your responsibility to research the right balance of food for optimal nutrition for them. Its kind of like feeding a baby cow milk instead of breast or formula. They might be ok for a while but soon they're going to get sick and and suffer from lack of balanced nutrition.

#28Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014