Do You Think Children Should Use Smartphones?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Ray1 • Oct 10, 2016.

1. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    This is a good question. I am skeptical as to how to answer this question. Let me put it this way.

Yes, children can be allowed to use a regular phone(not a smartphone) because they need to be aware of some basic features such as making an emergency call or a text message.

No, children should not be allowed to use a smartphone because it is highly addictive and it impacts the eyes. The internet is an ocean and it can easily distract children into trying out something unpleasant. Yes, technology has more positives but it should be taught to growing children at a particular age.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    The only time my child uses my phone is when she wants to watch cartoons since my TV is not working I let her watch a little while when shes done eating so she won't be running around. I don't think older children should use it especially if they learn to be on social media where I have seen many kids lives get ruined by cyber bullies. When on the internet kids are exposed to everything so I suggest parents should be strict on their kids with the phone usage.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I think they should not take it as habit. Because kids always attract from this kind of things. I have noticed this thing in almost every kid. So even we allow them to use the phone (not bring them their personal phone) then it should be limited. And parents should keep eye on them about their activity.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 You gotta see children in west. You will be surprised to note that a child of year 4-5 has a phone of his own and using it regularly. I am not sure what is he watching on internet but if he is watching forbidden content you probably have no idea. I am baffled watching the difference back in my country and here the way things are going on. Maybe children are more mature here compared to our country.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think we can say kids are not mature if they are not using phone.

Honestly saying I have seen two kids here with same age (of 5 year) and can use the smart phone all the way. They can watch videos in the youtube and can download games from the play store too. I wonder if they know more than that. They are connecting to wifi or mobile internet by their self.

I think it is depend on parents how they allow their kids to use the phone. For me this should be avoid, to that little kid to have their personal phone is bad I guess. Kids will avoid social activities and playgrounds with that.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does. Research studies show that toddlers using a smartphone and other gadgets at a very young age will affect their brain development and also they face the problem of delayed speech development. So parents should take care of this and prevent children from using them.

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I think its a matter of supervision and the purpose behind the use of smartphones as far as children are concerned.

If an adult can monitor the duration and the content of what is being watched and the fact that it is not becoming habitual then it is fine.

8. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think children should be given a smartphone. If your children are using a smartphones, you are already spending money on the things that is not actually necessary. However, you can give a tab to your children. You children can watch interactive video (offline) videos on tab, they can also use learning materials on their tab. Tab is better than smartphones for your children.

9. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe it will harm them unless they are left unsupervised or they use them for prolonged periods of time. Other than educational apps can be quite useful.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @harijobs@harijobs actually gadgets make an overall difference on children in both ways, negative and positive. If you can keep a tab on their using habits and let them use gadgets within prescribed limit it makes no harm but they get benefited to some extent but if the screen time goes beyond their control then you should be extra careful. When I said children in year 4-5 what I meant was those were students of class 4th or 5th in their early teens.

11. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see any reason for that... Children have to be children as long as they can because after they grow up, they'll not find their way back for this wonderful time (and this kind of regret can be very annoying).

For me, smartphone for kids is a pure waste of money and time. :cool:

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    What age group are we referring to here? My granddaughter is 10 and has had a smartphone for a year. She goes out to play now and I find it invaluable for keeping in touch with her and knowing where she is.

She plays games on it and talks to her friends .. it would seem they all have phones now and I wouldn't want to make her different to everyone else. We are in the 21st century now and times have changed, especially technology and good or bad it's advancing all the time.

She still goes out to play and is not allowed to have it at school so I don't worry about her spending too much time on it.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm seeing my cousins get smartphones and tablets for their kids to keep them preoccupied, I think that it's perfectly ok for kids to have smartphones, since we are in a high tech world anyway. I don't believe that it can damage their eyes, because I didn't spend long hours on the tv when I was a kid yet I ended up having myopia. If the parents can't afford a smartphone then a simple phone will do for the sake of communication.

14. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Children should not use smartphones at all in my opinion, at least not until the age of, lets say 10 I guess. They get easily distracted and smartphones are giving you the infinite possibilities that you can do, so they would lose the track of time, and even space while playing some games (Pokemon Go for example) and that is not good.

15. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not, as long as the content they browse and look for is appropriate for their age then there is no harm, but the time spent should definitely be regulated.

16. Tiile23

Tiile23New Member

Threads:
    According to the National Consumers League, which conducted a survey this past June, nearly six out of 10 U.S. parents of children ages 8 to12 have provided those children with cell phones. And many parents are paying more than they expected to for phone service

The survey showed that the top reasons parents had for buying phones for this age group are safety (84 percent), tracking a child's after-school activities (73 percent), and that the child asked for one (16 percent.)
    So basically yhh :D, I think children should be provided phones especially for the purpose of tracking...yhh!!

17. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I don't think that children should use the cellphone.They should pay heed to their studies to maintain standard of life in future.Nowadays,children who use cellphone,waste their more important time.Children could develop eye problems by seeing all the time on the cell phone.Some adult sites may also affect their thinking.