Do You Take Home Made Food During Travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by naruto100 • Jun 14, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Malibeast@Malibeast Lol, in all points you just said you won't take it with you. Ha ha

Yes it depends on places too. Even I would love to eat local food where I am going. But sometimes we don't found good food during journey on road. So at that time it is good to take food with us. No need to take dishes and all that, here we used to take disposable things for this. So yes it depends.

#61Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2017
  2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    A while back I realize that I was always buying some trail mix packs, and the not eating the things I did not like. It only made sense to start making my own and taking it with...and it saves a bundle.

3. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I totally love doing this on road trips, yes it is way healthier since I know what I put in that food since I'm the one who prepared it. Aside from that, you can also save a bit. there is no rule about travelling about being a bad person if you try saving money right? I just read someone being harsh and frown upon people who bring food. If you're rich, then go do what you want, but frowning upon people who do that won't make you a better person than they are. You can enjoy travelling and save a few bucks at the same time.

4. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    [QUOnaruto100, post: 248648, member: 20104"]We often take home made food with us during travelling. This is good for saving purpose and health purpose too. We can save money by avoiding restaurants and also during travelling food quality at unknown place is unknown too. So home made food is safe in this case. I am not talking about all time, but yes sometimes we do that. Sometimes we just love to taste outside food of local place.

So what you do?[/QUOTE]

I love taking home made food I prepared at home during traveling because it saves me lots of stress, cost and especially for my my health. I have noticed that once I eat anything that is not well taken care of during its preparation, it tends to purge me. So you can imagine the kind of mess and inconvenience it would cause me and my fellow travelers should such happen.

Most times, all these outside restaurant don't take care in preparation of food the general public eat because of the rush of customers as people would be desperate to find anything food to eat because of hunger. They might not cook in a neat environment which is very inimical to ones health. So I don't dare eat in such traveling restaurant. Home made food is best for me as if I plan to travel, I will wake up early and make my food for the journey.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's really true. Not all restaurants take care of cleanness that carefully if we compare them with home food. So yes if someone is not comfortable with such food then better to take home made food with us during journey. It is surely healthy compare to any outside food.

Honestly I like to eat outside food in different restaurant and I take care of thing that restaurant is clean enough (I know it can't be that clean enough). But it depends on my journey. Many times there are no good restaurants on the road journey so at that time better we have some good home made food. Because eating anywhere can be risky and can force you to spend lot later on.

6. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    While travelling it is always good to take home made food with you. Specially if the journey is long. We don't get good food on the way. Secondly we enjoy having home made food on road/ rail trips. It is just like a picnic. It's fun. And it sure saves money too. Although we have to take only those food which can last long, since we cannot refrigerate the food on a trip. Snacks like chips etc. and dry food are good for long journey.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    True. It depends on the way we are going. If there is some good restaurant coming on the way then yes we can skip home made food. But many times we don't find good restaurant to eat, so at that time home made food is best. As it is healthy in compare to any. And surely one can save lots of money with that as out side food has become really costly these days.

8. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Generally speaking, I regard the experience of trying new local foods when I travel to be a big part of the experience. I prefer to eat out at popular local restaurants. If I am lucky enough to have kitchen accommodations, I will always shop at the farmer's markets I find at my destination to get a sense of the local flavor.

Having said that, I have in the past taken to preparing meals and then vacuum sealing them. I'll freeze them solid for a few days in the freezer before I leave and keep them in a cooler packed heavily with ice that I change along the way. I typically do this when I'm going on roughing-it vacations to national parks or music festivals where food may not be easy to come by. It's a little extra work, but you get some pretty jealous stares when you're eating fried rice with roasted green beans and everyone else is eating some questionable burrito from the back of a stranger's pickup.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Ha ha.. I am sure many of them will feel jealous with that. Too much difference in food there, lol.

Personally even I would love to try out local food during my travelling. I am just talking about taking food when we are on the way. I am not sure about other places. But here sometimes we don't find good restaurant to eat on the way of road travelling. So at that time better to have some home made food with us so that we can save money and time too. It is good to eat home made food instead of eating any unhealthy food from unknown place.

10. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    FInding quality food along the way can be difficult, especially if you are taking the highways and interstates to make good time. This is why I always budget a little extra time in my vacation for the trip itself. I find I really enjoy the freedom to go off the beaten path, to take a little extra time to get to my destination by taking the back roads. You find lots of little local diners, some of them great, some of them awful. All of them will be an experience, however. The way I look at it is you probably won't remember that okay bagel you had at the Ho Jo's on the turnpike, but you will have a wonderful story to tell about that awful dinner when you got served the worst pancakes of your life. "How did they mess up pancakes?!", you will ask? Great memories can be made by bad experiences, sometimes!

11. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Ha ha.. You made even bad experience as good memories. That's really good. Yes that's how life goes. It is okay to do all these things when we are out. Yes after all we go out for enjoyment. But yes we should be careful more on this if we are with kids. I mean we should serve the best to our kids. They may not have more good digestive power compare to us. So we can be careful with it when we are with kids. Otherwise yes we can enjoy anything.

12. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    We really don't have to worry about packing food while traveling, we find it really stressful. All we do is stop by any restaurant by the road when we are hungry. I admit that the quality is no where compared to home made food but it's just for the day.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I suggest you come to my current location (Australia) where availability is so distant and costly that you would think in terms of changing your opinion. There are times when you do not see gas station up to a distance of 200 km while doing a long road trip. I have had it more than once so always keep a few ready items in my car and never forget drinking water (and other drinking things) when doing a long road trip.

14. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I see. Here in Nigeria, there's food everywhere you turn. People set up shops and restaurants by the road solely for travellers. You hardly miss anything. You even come across markets from the local villages. You find food, fruits, water, snacks and what have you.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's the same in my home country India where you come across a fruit/food vendor every 5 yards or so and all our highways are full of roadside restaurants. In fact you get them in such a big number that you feel like getting rid of them when they come to persuade you to buy something at every stop. However, we still keep home made items with us because they are healthy and cheaper.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We do bring along with us "baon" which we call it in our local dialect for homemade foods when my family is taking an outing, traveling within our province. These foods usually are good for breakfast and lunch for we go home late in the afternoon.

We do for convenience. In case we lack foods we buy from the nearby resto where we make our stop.