Do You Take Home Made Food During Travelling?

Discussion in Travel started by naruto100 • Jun 14, 2017.

1. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I take dry snacks and a variety of foods that will stay for fresh for longer time while traveling. It is better to have something to eat with us all the time as we may not find a good restaurant to eat or foods that we prefer etc. when traveling. Also, when we have kids with us, we have to have something to eat with us all the time. You never know when they feel hungry and want something quickly. I also carry a lot of cheese with me, all in individual bite-sized blocks that we get. There is no chance of it going bad and we can always buy bread and eat it with cheese when there is no other option.

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @nangk08@nangk08 Yup, that's the point. Even I don't found good restaurant many times during travelling. So if we are with kids then food with us can be really helpful at time. With kids we can't just eat to any place which seems unhealthy. So yes at that time it is best to keep some home made food or dry food with us so that we can eat them at least during journey.

#42Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  3. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    If it is a train travel of just a single overnight travel we do take home made food. Most of our train journeys have not been more than one night. We have travelled by bus. The bus stops at several good hotels on the way and so there is no need to carry our own food.

4. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I try to finish the food on same day if possible. If not then I make sure that the food being used or unused is given to those who are in need. And not only that you can see that there are many ways to give this to other poor people. But you just have to make sure that the food is of eatable grade. And not that it's completely spoiled.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter Yes few bus stops at some good hotels so at that time we can avoid such food. And also eating inside bus is not that convenient as train travelling. We also take food with us for road travelling. As there is no surety to find good hotels on unknown ways. And also if we are in hurry, we can save some time eating home made food by avoiding hotels. But yes all these things are different by different people.

@overcast@overcast Have you answered in the correct thread? I don't think so. I guess you are talking about left over food or something. Not sure.

#45Aug 2, 2017
  6. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    Yes, homemade food is the only great option to carry while traveling. It's important to have hygiene food so that your health doesn't effect while traveling remaining healthy and fit is very important. So, I will advise taking homemade food while journeying.

7. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Eating inside a bus as you say is not advisable and that is not allowed as well. Getting out of the bus also gives the passengers a respite. There are some good vegetarian hotels on the way. One gets to visit the toilet and freshen up as well.

#47Aug 3, 2017
  8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter I guess for that purpose we can have dry snacks. Like packet food kind of wafer and all that. Not for all travelling bus used to stop at hotels. Here when I am traveling to my hometown which took around 5 to 6 hours, not all buses used to stop at hotels. So in this case better we have some dry snack.

#48Aug 4, 2017
  9. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 It's fine if the bus authorities allow you to have those dry snacks in the bus. Anyway a travel duration of 5 to 6 hours could be managed without eating anything This is my thinking May be one should take a bottle of water for such travels.

#49Aug 5, 2017
  10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter Yes, we can pass this duration for sure. But it is not easy to spend that long time if we are with kids. They always get hungry and they can't control it like us. And I guess we shouldn't force them to control their hunger. So in this case better we have something. I don't think bus authority will get any problem from dry snack either home made or other.

#50Aug 5, 2017
  11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 I agree with you about kids wanting to eat several times in the day. And I suppose bus owners would not mind if some dry stuff is eaten. Sadly most Indians are not particular about their responsibility of not strewing the bus with fruit skins and paper.

#51Aug 6, 2017
  12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, the answer is yes, we are doing this to save money. Usually when we travel for 3 - 4 days we take food only for the everyday breakfast, and the rest of the meals in a day we eat at a restaurant. Taking food with us for the breakfast helpped us to save a lot of money!

13. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @iamawriter@iamawriter Yes even I have noticed the thing. They should take this thing seriously and do not spoil the government property or public areas.

Yes kids are always demanding. So better we keep some food with us (dry one). And also by taking home made food we can save some money instead of buying some food packets. Sometimes more consumption of outside food is not good for health too. So yes saving money for saving health.

@wallet@wallet Yes we can save lots of money by taking home made food. Actually food has become really costly these days. Eating food outside can be really costly if you are regular. So yes sometime is okay. So yes if we can take home made food with us during travelling then we can save money and it is good for health too.

#53Aug 6, 2017
  14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Packing food from home also has another pleasant side to it. It is like going on a picnic and that ligthtens the burden of travel per se. The joy of getting together goodies made at home makes travel a joy.

#54Aug 7, 2017
  15. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on if there will be an eatery on the journey whether I would make home made food or not. If there was an eatery on the journey then I wouldn't have to. Dining out at an eatery is part of the fun of a long journey. I would probably put some sandwiches in a lunch pack just in case I couldn't find an eatery and needed food.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's true. If there is proper eatery on the road and we know about them then yes we can skip taking food with us. Here we don't have good restaurants and other things on all routes, so for that routes taking home food with us is best thing to do. Also sometimes if we are in hurry and we don't want to make any halt during journey then we can go for home made food (kind of dry food) and enjoy the food during journey. Though sometimes it may be uncomfortable.

17. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't bring homemade food when traveling. I would either bring a couple of snacks or some extra cash, it is easier and much more convenient for me. Chances are that there will be a good restaurant or grocery store available wherever I'm going.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Well if we are getting good restaurants then surely yes we can go for it and enjoy the food. But it not happens every time here. Some areas here surely not have any good restaurant or something. So at that time food with us can help. And yes also save some money. Also if we are in hurry we can save time by eating those homemade food or snack directly in the car.

19. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    It depends on where I'm going, how far I'm going, and for what purpose.

For instance, if I'm travelling to a place known for its cuisine, I wouldn't take homemade food; instead I'd try and experience the food for which the destination is know.

If I'm travelling to a distant place, like another country, I wouldn't consider taking homemade food with me, not even for the journey. I don't want to have to walk around with dirty dishes.

And, lastly, if I'm going on vacation, I wouldn't take homemade food. The whole purpose of a vacation, in my opinion, is to leave work and home behind -- including the food.

Also, I can't cook to save my life; so, in general, I probably wouldn't take homemade food with me on any long-distance trip.

20. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    Taking home made food with me while travelling depends mainly on the distance I am going. If I am going alone and the distance is short, in which I may not feel that hungry on the journey, then I will prefer not to take any food with me to taking home made food. the reason is that most of the times that I have eaten in a public transport while taking a short journey, I always feel pressed and the region I came from is one where public transport doesn't have conveniences in the bus.

However, if it is a long journey, which I know there will be stop overs, then taking home made food sounds cool since I may have the hunger feeling on the way coupled with the fact that I prefer taking home made food to eating out any day, anytime.