Do you sleep with your pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Mayvin • Aug 20, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Lol, I understand what you're saying! I love pets so much, especially dogs--I'm a dog-lover! I love playing hard with them, letting them chase me, and sometimes even chasing them! lol, we really have a great bond and we're always so happy to see each other! It's like seeing a long-lost friend for the first time in years!
    We hug, we "fight", we "talk", we have some good, doggone fun!
    But, like you, I definitely have to acknowledge the fact that these are "animals", in that they don't take their personal hygiene as seriously as we do, and so, if they "rub against the wrong dog or thing", or even don't clean themselves up after a mess, and then come to sleep with me in my clean bed, then I'm exposing not only me, but the members of my family, to anything that my dogs could have picked up!
    It's one thing if I'm the only one affected, but even if noone else but me and the dogs were in the bed, the infections etc. that I could get from my dogs, could easily be passed on to one of my family members, because they linger, and I'm then interacting with them!
    Right now, I don't have much to worry about, because I don't own any "toy dogs" that could reasonably fit in the bed beside me and my wife; my dogs are HUGE "Rotties", so they're outside, comfortable in their kennel, and outside walking around, at their leisure.
    I think we need to ensure we relate well with our pets, but we have to ensure that we don't "cross the line" between remembering that although they are our "friends", they are still not human beings, and so, a "respectable distance" needs to be maintained between us and them.

2. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I always let my kitties sleep with me. They're furry and warm and so soft! They're both indoor cats so it's not a problem. They also like cleaning their paws in bowls of water so they're quite hygienic. Even if I didn't care for them to sleep in my bed I don't think I'd be able to resist their big eyes and soft mews for long.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    When our cats were still kittens, they had bed rights beside me and my husband. When they grow older, the nocturnal instincts kick in and they are the ones who forgo of those rights.

4. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    When I had a cat some years back, I often slept with my pet cat Tiger. Most cats are very finicky and don't really like to lay under you unless they feel like it. However, my cat Tiger love to snuggle and would even just jump in the bed with me at night. If you have fleas, then you better not sleep with your pets, that is a nightmare.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not allow my dog to sleep with me. It is not that I do not like it, but I am afraid of the ticks they might have and which could easily spread when I am asleep. I had a serious ear infection, some time ago, due to having contact with my pets and ever since then I keep my distance from my dog. I know this arrangement sucks, but I do not want to give my dog away as it has been very loyal to me and my family.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Our puppy sleeps in bed with my son on occasion, and it is not a regular thing. The puppy prefers his kennel when it is night time, but during the day, he loves to lay around us wherever we are, and doesn't use his kennel. By 9:00 PM, he went to his kennel to lie down until we come downstairs.

7. Victoria Langley

Victoria LangleyNew Member

Threads:
    No we do not allow the dog upstairs, non of them have ever been allowed upstairs, it came down from my Grandad that dogs or indeed any pet needs boundaries and that they have their beds and we have ours. Also and I do agree with him here as I have noticed it with many family and friends dogs that a lot that sleep with their owners are a lot more clingy and follow their owners everywhere. Our dog while he can come and sit with us often vanishes off and spends a good deal of time in other rooms from us on one of his beds or playing in the garden. He still likes his cuddles though lol.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats and dogs are great, there's no doubt about that. I could never allow any pet onto my bed though. It's the hygiene thing. Of course I know that cats and dogs aren't "dirty" as such, but you just don't know what they've stepped in or got on them.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently seeing a woman who is a big animal lover. She has like a zoo of them living in her home, at the moment. She recently let me know that she sleeps with them, and what positions each animal takes, as it pertains to her in her bed. She seemed to think that I would have no problem with this, and joining them, despite knowing about how funny I am about germs. I am not going to sleep with pets, and never have done.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Wehn i had cats I would always lets them sleep on my bed. They only ever did in the winter though because they were very 'outdoors' cats, and so slept out every night. I must admit the fur really did get annoying over tiem, and when I finally got a new blanket the change was brilliant.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't. My cat usually doesn't care about sleeping with people in one bed, so I just keep my doors closed, so I don't get woken up by her in 4 in the morning begging for food.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    My animals sleep where ever I fall asleep. It feels as though they wait until I'm tired & store up all their sleeping time only to let it pour out of them when I lay down. Most of the time I enjoy it but I cannot stand when any of them try to sleep between or on my legs. It drives me insane & instantly wakes me.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had it my way, I would be all right sleeping with my pet. However, my parents don't seem to be thrilled with the idea although we all love our pets to bits. I do understand their sentiments. Dogs and cats shed off their fur every so often. This trait of theirs creates a problem particularly for many owners, especially those who are highly concerned with cleanliness.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am highly concerned with cleanliness lol. I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I know that hair and fur carries a lot of germs, especially animal fur and hair. I mean, human hair is germsy enough, in my opinion. Much less animal fur and hair. I know that people love their pets and stuff, but it's got to be so unhygienic to be sleeping with your pets. Then again, a lot of people like it when dogs lick their faces which is just so disgusting to me. I have to know whether someone is a dog owner, who lets their dog lick their face, before I think about kissing them lol.

15. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    My dog sleeps in my bed. I am alone in my room and my dog serves as my only companion. I treated my dog as part of my family and I am happy that he sleeps together with me in my bed.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know of many diseases cats can transmit to humans.. that would be quite difficult. But yes, I allow our cats to sleep with us. They're our babies; a part of the family and they're pampered, loved and respected as they deserve to be :)

17. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    When I was younger to manage my allergies, we had strict rules - no cats in my room and no dogs on my bed or the shared furniture where I might lay. I had 'my' blanket kept safe that I could lay on the sofa to separate me from the cat hair. It worked. Now, bunnies and my poodle mix (low dander, low shed) are allowed to sleep in my bed. No cats in the bedroom though.