Do you shop at a $1 store?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by crackerjack9 • Jan 12, 2015.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I do - but you have to be careful about what you buy from here, because not everything is going to be cheaper here than it is elsewhere. Take a look in your local supermarket and see how much things are there, and make a list of what you can buy here and what you should get at the $1 store. It can certainly get you a great deal of bargains, but you do need to be careful about what is and isn't cheap here.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think we have a dollar store over here. I think only first world countries have that. If ever we'll have them over here then for sure I would love to go there.

3. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I really like dollar stores. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the fact that I can often find inexpensive decent quality items. I often get nice smelling hand soaps there because sometimes I run out when Bath and Body Works aren't having a good enough sale. I just like looking for items - I guess it's kinda of why I like thrift stores as well.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I got a laugh the other day, when I discovered that there is actually a reality show out now that focuses on dollar stores - it's set in Britain I believe and is called something like "Pound Shop Wars" from what I recall. I stumbled across it on a video sharing web site, and I only skimmed through one episode to get a sense of what it's all about, but I plan on watching them all when I get some more free time. Apparently, many of these dollar stores are in fierce competition with each other (or at least the shows producers try to dramatize it as such), so the show focuses on the "behind the scenes" type stuff that the store owners are involved with to lure in customers.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get baggies and the Awesome all purpose cleaner at the Dollar Tree. I also like to stock up on pens and pencils at the Dollar Tree, every thing there is one dollar. When I go into other stores that charge $2-3 for the same thing I have to remember that I can get them for less. I he like to color, I need colored pencils, at Target one box was $4.99 at the Dollar Tree the same size box of pencils was one dollar.

6. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have 1-dollar stores in our country. The nearest to that would be 2-dollar and 3-dollar stores. I would shop at these stores mainly around Christmas time to get some of my gift items, since I try not to spend too much money on gifts at this time. Some of the items I find do make good Christmas gifts, and the recipient is none the wiser about the price of the item, since the quality is just as good as if it were bought elsewhere. I have also bought items like kitchen utensils for myself, as well as table wipes and sponges. I also bought a beach bag a while back.

7. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Batteries. Oh god, I never want to buy batteries from anywhere but the dollar store. They even work better sometimes, I don't understand.

8. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I shop at dollar stores all time time! I love them! Especially, the ones where everything is actually only one dollar. Like, Dollar Tree. I shop there all the time... a while store where everything costs one dollar? Heck yeah! I know most of it is cheap crap but you can find some serious gems in there. I let my daughter run wild and get whatever she wants.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We too don't have those types of stores where I live. But when I'm in the UK, I do go in to Pound shops and pick up cleaning materials and stationary mainly. Sometimes you can also unearth some real gems, too. I have picked up some Bodyshop stuff in there. But what annoys me is that they often tape over it and disguise the products as something else. It's only when you peel back the label that you'll see what it is. It's probably something to do with the laws around re-selling.

10. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use dollar stores (pound stores here in the UK) all the time. I tend to buy toiletries, stationery, party supplies and even CDs from time to time since they started selling refurbished CDs in them. I think it's a great way to get CDs much more cheaply and make use of them when they'd otherwise probably be thrown away anyway. I've managed to pick up several great CDs there and for just £1 it's a great deal.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seriously? When you get batteries from expensive places, sometimes they even suck then. Much less getting them from dollar stores. I don't think that I have ever purchased batteries from the dollar store and been satisfied with the performance. It is news to me that they would be better quality from there lol.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We have similar stores here where everything is $2 and I think it's so much fun to shop in them, however unfortunately all these types of stores are usually very far away from where I live so I have to travel a long way just to get there and I don't find the store that great to seek it out that much. For now I mostly just stick to outlet and clearance stores which are much nearer to me and I just shop at these dollar stores whenever I travel out of my area and happen to pass by one of them but I won't make special trips to get there unless I feel like I will have enough to buy to make the trip worth it.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well here in Hawaii we need dollar, pound or Daiso stores, indeed! The last one that was similar that opened and closed was Price Busters. All the dollar stores open thane stay for about a year or so then closes. COLA is so high that it makes sense that we have a dollar store of some kind, but alas, no luck in keeping them here in Hawaii. art1.

This was Grocery Outlet like a dollar store it had fantastic deals on everything. I could always find something I needed so cheap here, alas they closed too back in 2007. This photo is from the article by an old newspaper Honolulu Star Bulletin, now merged to be named Honolulu Star Advertiser.

#33May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have any such thing as two dollar stores over here. But I have noticed that there are certain tourist spots when you go to different places, and they have stores where everything is expensive, like everything is five great british pounds, no matter how small or insignificant it may look.

15. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Of course, You can save a ton of money buying seasonal décor at a dollar store! Why pay more than 1$ on things you are only going to use once a year. At Christmas time you can always find gift wrap and bags for super cheap prices. There are also lots of cute decorations for usually about a dollar each.

Also I always buy five or ten pair of socks at local dollar store. They will get ruined or loosen by use anyway, so quantity above quality applies here. Do not forget to stop by at your local 1$ store in order to buy all your party supplies.

16. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    I sometimes shop at our Dollar Tree store. I can find great deals on household products, small gift items, party decorations and some groceries as well. I have found that many of the products sold in this store are of decent quality and I am thrilled to find them at such a great price.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I do shop there(Dollar Tree) and the other dollar stores as well, about once a week I would say, to buy things like garbage bags, tea bags, and lemon for my iced tea-and also some cookies(oatmeal) once in awhile. Also the bread is fresh and grainy there,which I also pick up there, once in awhile as well. I buy other things-but also I just read today that they sell $1 ribeye steaks in some of them(dollar tree) as well(the ones that have a freezer in them). Aithough the one where I live does not have a freezer in it.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I particularly haven't made any purchases there, but many of my friends already done and they always praise the site. Until this moment, they never had any problems at all times that they bought something there.

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to go to the $1 store every now and again. Why not? They offer a good number of cheap and effective supplies at a modest price, even it I am not looking for any constructive tools I could still buy drinks and snacks there for a good price, possibly cheaper than that at the grocery store.