Do You Purchase Pet Insurance? Is It Worth It?

Discussion in Pets started by bluebetta • Jul 8, 2016.

1. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I have never owned pet insurance but am thinking about it. I am not sure what I should be looking for when shopping for pet insurance though. I am afraid I will end up purchasing insurance that isn't accepted many places, or that won't cover certain things. How complicated is it to find the right pet insurance, and what factors should I consider when shopping for it?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While pet insurance does protect you against unexpected costs related to your pet, odds are if you pet is well-fed, gets all its vaccines and gets plenty of exercise, you may not need to worry about other costs. That would make (getting) pet insurance unnecessary. But not all pet owners will look at it that way.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was discussing this the other day with some family members, and the conclusion is that it's good only if you have an emergency. If your dog needs surgery, or to be in the hospital for a few days, having that insurance is extremely beneficial. If it's only for day to day, it is more beneficial to pay for the vet consultations as they come.

4. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Like it's been said, pet insurance is only worth it if you pet has an accident or gets really sick. It doesn't cover every day costs such as vaccinations. I think if you can find a low cost provider that will cover 80-90% it's worth it. Vet bills can get expensive so I always think it's better to be safe then sorry.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I have never had pet insurance, but I have debated with myself a lot about whether or not I should get it. It is also one of those things where I have heard everything on it, from it is a must have and what are you doing without it, to it is a big waste of money and it is something that nobody ever needs to use. The truth is probably somewhere right in the middle, but for now I think I am okay with not having it. Things might change, though, who knows. Thanks for sharing.

6. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I didn't know you can have your pet insured. But I won't be purchasing anything for my Clio, not because I don't love her but because I don't think it's necessary. People insure things to protect their investments. My pet is not an investment as I'm not a breeder. Her vaccines are always updated and goes to monthly check-ups. She almost never goes outside unless she has to do her business. An insurance for pets is not really practical but for people who have extra money to spare, they can choose to but it.

7. GreenPersimmon

GreenPersimmonMember

Threads:
    I personally haven't gotten pet insurance for my younger pets because it's just cheaper to get shots than pay monthly for insurance they don't use. If I had a work dog that was really active like a police dog or herding dogs, where they could get injured I would definitely have it. The other two considerations would be breed and age. Older dogs need more insurance for the same reason older people need it. Breed can also be a problem because some breeds are more prone to health problems than others. Take dalmatians, beautiful, but prone to being deafness. So, you should consider those things before you consider insurance for you pet.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't ever used pet insurance, but I would like to see what is covered. Since the cost of vet visits are more than a going to a human doctor in most cases, I think pet insurance especially for older pets might be worth it. Even one emergency visit to the vet can be 200 dollars plus. I think I am going to read up on pet insurance and find out exactly what is covered.

9. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have pet insurance,few reasons are, that I don't have insurance even for myself, I have 6 animals and it would be a fortune, and my vet is awesome. They are so great because we have always took our animals to them and they a fair prices and let us make payments if needed.

10. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't purchased any pet insurance for either of my two dogs as I can't afford it. Luckily they are very healthy and have been able to stay away from the vet practice unless it is for their yearly jabs. If I could afford it I don't think it would be something that I would really go for. I tend to think that insurance itself is a bit like gambling. If something goes wrong you could get some money back. Insurance companies, however, tend to find any reason in the small print to not pay out. Then again, you normally have to pay the first couple of hundred pounds excess which would be a bit of a waste if the treatment only came to a hundred.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    The few pets I have had never thought about purchasing insurance for any. A bit surprise to hear that pets can be insured. I think pet insurance may just be good idea, in a way this may ensure routine adequate and regular care for the pets. Insuring pets should be more beneficial to owners of large number of pets.

12. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    The reason you get pet insurance is to cushion the financial blow if your dog gets injured or sick and needs specialty care. Just getting x-rays can cost a hundred dollars each, and if your dog needs surgery, the cost could run into the thousands of dollars.
    I have pet insurance for my dog. I had a net loss on the insurance when my dog was younger, but as she has gotten older and developed arthritis and joint problems, in addition to a bout with skin cancer, the insurance has paid for itself many times over. I happily pay my renewal premium every year, and I plan to always have insurance for my dogs.