Do You Provide Everything Your Child Asks For?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by lucykey • Oct 17, 2017.

1. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    Often children tend to draw the attention of their parents in many ways. And parents listen to the demands of their children by providing anything that their child ask with the intention of making them feel loved. They also do this not to annoy them.For example,if dad provides everything the children they end up hating the mum saying that she doesn't care for them.

What is your take on this and as a parent do you provide everything your child demands and how do they respond towards the same?

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have legal custody of my 10 year old granddaughter who is very demanding but I don't always give in to her because she can be unreasonable. Sometimes it's tempting just for a quiet life but it wouldn't do her any good so there are times when I just say no and ignore all the whining and begging. It's good for her in the long run.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Definitely no, and I don't think I am a bad mom too. I always explained to my kids why I can't let them have something even though something I would like to, which is always good for them or for the family. They usually understand, though I know they might still want to have those things they want. I also told them the difference between NEED and WANT. Well, the young kids might not understand, but they will eventually get it. I also don't disappoint them all the time, sometimes I always give them something they like. Moreover, my kids know that there are times when I say NO and there will be no further negotiation, and they won't ask for it again.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    My parents never spoiled us at all, in fact they rarely bought us what we want that they think is expensive and unnecessary. It's really not a good idea to spoil the kid because he will just grow up being demanding and self-centered.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a disciplinarian like father. We were reared in good manners and right conduct which includes not being a brat. That's also my policy when I became a parent. I still believe in the adage that to spare the rod will spoil the child. Truly, giving everything that your child desires is not only spoiling him but ruining your child's values of material things, that's not to mention the waste of money on your part.

6. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with most sentiments expressed here. Giving in your child's every whim is definitely wrong. It does not teach the child anything and will only set the child up for a tough time when he/she doesn't get what they want. As much as we love our children and we want to give them the best, we must be careful to only provide what they actually need and not what they want all the time.

7. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't provide everything my son wants because not every thing he asks for is good for him. I always take time to explain why and he has learned to trust my judgment. He's not the sulking and tantrum-throwing kind of child at all. A child who always gets what he/she wants will grow up spoiled and dependent and will be less motivated to work for things that he wants in life later on. He may be led on to believe that life is easy and that money grows on trees.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not, everything has to be controlled so that they don't become spoiled adults who don't know the true value of things. Giving them everything that they want is a big mistake. :)

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Never! I believe in letting my son realise and understand the true worth of money as well as things. If we give in too easily and get our children what they want, we would be only doing them harm by killing their fighting spirit! I have read news of a few kids recently, some as young as 9, committing suicides just because their parents could not or would not buy them an expensive smartphone or branded shoes! It is what happens when parents fail to teach the children the difference between NEED and WANT and on how to sort their priorities right.

10. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well the short answer is no because I would have been broke in about two years. Of course those things they ask for which are important, well then of course they usually get those.