Do You Need To Buy Water?

Discussion in Water started by moondebi • Nov 1, 2016.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Water is increasingly becoming a scarce commodity.
    Ours is a place which is in high altitude and there’s only one river from where drinking water is supplied to the entire city. So water scarcity is a common issue and is a bone of contention for the states which have to share this water. During dry spells, we have to buy drinking water as the supply gets limited. Though Bore wells are there as an alternate source but as the water bed is getting depleted day by day, shortage has been there as well.

Do your cities face water crisis?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Not as bad as yours sound but we do have to be careful to prevent any problems. The only problem is the cost of water bills for now.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily we do not have that problem, because water is quite plenty over here, and I can't remember the last time we had to conserve water because the supply is not enough. We only have water troubles when there is a public announcement that there will be some repairs that are gonna be made, so there is an advisory that during certain dates the supply of water will be cut-off, so the residents must prepare for it.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Starting in 1995 when I noticed the murky water coming out of the tap, we have been buying drinking water even if it was expensive during that time. In the later years, we order water for delivery to our doorstep and we also bought a water dispenser with a cooler. But lately, we have been computing and we arrived at the decision to buy a water purifier for $50 which is a cool bargain. Now we just purify our water with a definite saving on the cost of drinking water. Besides, we are assured of clean water because we do the purifying ourselves.

5. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy water during the rainy season. Other than that, the only water I buy is the bill I pay monthly haha! Another thing I could consider but haven't is just buying a filter. When I'm buying water, I'm very picky and only buy from the biggest brands cause a lot of small brands are known to literally fill their bottles with tap water and sell it.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have to pay for ordinary water I need for washing or use in my toilet and bathroom. But I will have to buy drinkable water and water for cooking. The free water flowing in the kitchen and convenience are not good enough for cooking and drinking. Water is relatively expensive down here

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where you live. Here in East Africa, cities face the problem of water shortage from time to time not due to scarcity as the sorrounding areas are water catchment areas but due to degradation or damage to the water supply system due to earthworks or silting. Where there are perennial water shortages, people dig wells or boreholes.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, we don't have that problem. It seems that water isn't a problem where we live and especially since it rains almost half the year. I live in a tropical area so I guess that's one of the reasons why we have plenty of water.

9. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    There’s absolutely no point in trying to obtain health effects from water, bottled or not.
    We don’t know enough about the body to be able to tell exactly what proportions of minerals you need, and it’s most likely individual as well as changing over time anyway.
    Just drink water you like the taste of, be it tap water or fancy tap water in a bottle.

10. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    Water is just one of those things that you take for granted as long as you have it, but the moment you run short, your whole life can come to a stop.
    It is surprising to see how little we seem to care about a resource, the absence of which can literally bring an end to life as we know it. The manner in which we waste water makes dystopic representations of water wars shown in movies like ‘Mad Max’ a highly possible future.
    And we seem to be taking a step closer to ‘doom’ each day. According to a

by IndiaSpend, India is facing the worst crisis in a decade, with a severe shortage likely to spread out throughout the country. Seeing the rate of population growth, the amount of pressure it puts on resources, and the measures being taken (and not taken) to save water, India could soon face drought-like conditions in most parts of the country

11. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    We have under ground water, which we use for various purpose such as cleaning, washing, bathing, laundry, watering plants etc. However, we don't use this water for drinking purpose as it contain lot of magnesium and other minerals (which gives unpleasant odor). There we buy drinking water in a jar. We use two 20 liters jars in a week.

12. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Here in Hyderabad India, we do not face any water crisis issues at least at the place where I stay. At times, in the hot summers, the bore gets dried up and we are forced to depend on municipal water for household chores. Coming to drinking water, the municipal water is generally good and we have also set up a water purifier at home to avoid the risk of being exposed to health hazards.

Coming to your point, "buying water" is a more common issue in India. Most of the cities have dried up and are at a risk of acute water shortage due to alarming ground-water levels. It is high time we start saving water and start saving rain water from getting wasted. I hope that in the coming year, the situation is much better as we are expecting a good amount of rainfall.

The government should also start awareness programs on saving water and its importance thereby expecting people to use water economically and focus more on water saving techniques.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Water supply is no problem in our place. Our problem is the potability of the water. Due to the uncertainty of the purity of the water, some people would have to buy a bottled water. When you go to our place, you could see a lot of water purifying store and also vendors selling water in a plastic bottle especially when there is a special occasion, gatherings and festivities.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @Kaushik Angara@Kaushik Angara I buy drinking water but for other purposes depend on municipality water as well as a reservoir.

It hasnot been a thing to worry and I do have a purifier too. However, the end result is not palatable water so I generally avoid using it.

#14Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I buy my drinking and cooking water steady. I don't even know where to get free water in my locality and funny enough I have never been to any stream near me. Though there are water running in my convenience and kitchen but I don't trust them enough for cooking or drinking, I only use the water for washing and cleaning.

16. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Water shortage in cities is a global problem but various countries have their ways of dealing with it. Most cities in my country have a reliable supply from the high altitude areas. When I have a job in the city I use this tap water that is installed at a certain cost. The water is purified before it's tapped to the cities. This water is, most of the time, enough and there is no need to buy extra supplies.