Do You Make Your Own Soap Or Do You Buy Already Made ?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Keibah • Oct 26, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    It really isn't as difficult as we might think. I always though it is very difficult to make one, but after I learned it, it is really doable. Of course, you might need to practice more and some techniques in order to make a very beautiful bar of soap, but if it's just to make a very basic soap, I think you should be able to do it.

You can check out Soap Queen and look for Cold Process Soap. Just try to search for the very basic soap first. Perhaps you can find more videos in YouTube for beginners too. :)

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Soap is relatively cheap already, so I don't think I would even bother making one, even if I will get to save money doing it.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, in starting for anything when we don't know about process or we are just trying it first time, it might feel kind of really hard. But after couple of time we can get used to of it. I don't know as I never heard about the process. But yes I can learn it from internet. I will try it. I hope at least I can get satisfactory success on my first try. Lol.

4. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I think you too make your own soap, I remember from a post somewhere. If you do, then do post a few pictures of your soap. I too have been thinking of at least trying once and more information is very much needed!

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly could not be bothered to mess around making my own soap. It's not expensive to buy (at least not in the UK) and you can get some lovely fragrances so I just prefer to buy mine. My granddaughter had a soap making set once and it just turned out a squidgy mess with a horrible smell! I guess she must have done something wrong.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I actually attended a class when I first made it, as I heard that handling the lye (a natural chemical needed for making soap) is quite dangerous. After I attended the class, then I found that it is really not that difficult. I think we can actually learn from the Internet if we want to save money for attending classes, though there are other benefits for learning from a teacher.

You can first try to search for the video tutorials and see what you think first. Then, perhaps you have to look for the supplies locally. :)

I have made a few batches of very simple soaps only, but I haven't been making in these two years as I have a toddler at home now. Perhaps I will start making it again soon. I am happy to share as I am really not good at making things and I always thought I couldn't make all these, I always like to encourage others who might think the same as I was. :)

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135, thanks for the tip! I am going to watch some tutorials on youtube and see if I can do it! I would like to attend a class too but there are no such classes close to where I stay, here people tend to just buy such stuff and not make themselves. So I will just watch a few tutorials, gather some information and see how it goes.

8. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen ladies making detergents on their own but I have never tried it myself. They then supply to primary schools and secondary schools at fixed price. I heard my sister talk about it but I have not gotten time to go to her house for me to learn. I don't think if I can have the time to manufacture my own soap from scratch, but I want to encourage those who venture into it- it is a very good form of business. If someone can making a living from manufacturing detergents,it is a very good idea.

9. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Way back in college, I have friends in other courses which make organic soaps. It's not that expensive because it's organic and maybe the ingredients used was somehow at low cost. However, the fragrance is different and it's texture. So, I am more likely to buy an already made soap. The quality of the soap is what I'm after and also there are very good ones which are just cheap, yet so fragrant and mild.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it would be cost effective unless you made a large quantity. You have to buy scent, materials etc. You also have to take the time to produce it. I would rather buy mass produced soaps. Some of those designer soaps make good gifts though.

11. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    You will only benefit from a cost reduction if you make a large quantity as you stated which is not possible for normal people.

12. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I want to explore the world of soap making but I don't know where to buy lye. I know lye is a very important ingredient on making soap. I know online is the only way for me to buy them because I don't know any store at my area that sells them. The shipping to buy lye is kind of pricey.

13. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well you can do some research on google to figure out the components then head on to youtube to check on the process in detail.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I have never attempted making my own soap but do go for something that really works for me. I have soap suds for the washing machine, a soap bar for washing clothes by hand and ofourse a soap bar for my body bath, although recently i am trying out liquid soap for my body bath.

15. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    Till now I have not prepared my own soap & I would never ever prefer to make a soap, rather than investing time in making it's better to buy from any nearby store. It's time worthy plus cost worthy.

16. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    In my country(Kenya), it is cheaper to purchase soap rather than making your own. This is because most of the times the raw materials are a bit expensive. There are some who make at their homes and resell but in most cases, you will find that the soap/detergent is not effective. I, therefore, opt to purchase from the local shops as in the long run, I will save on my clothes wearing off.

17. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Other than investing time you are also investing money, and the process is not really cheap nor convenient for working people.

18. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I buy already made soaps because I have a very sensitive skin. My skin gets easily irritated and I am scared to try homemade soaps. I think buying already made soaps is so much safer than the homemade one. But I know that everyone has different opinions.

19. Rexy

RexyMember

Threads:
    What?! I didn't even know people did this. I had no idea, to be honest. Personally, I buy it all the time, and I don't even know how to make it myself. And let's be honest, the stores' shampoo is a lot better considering they're like chemists.

20. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I would be interested to get thie African black soap, can I purchase it online? I have come across many recipes of making soap including the cold process using tallow but when it comes to cost, I would rather buy ready made soap as the price difference is not too big and its of higher quality.