Do You Make Gift Cards On Your Own To Save Money?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by moondebi • May 17, 2017.

1. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    For every occasion, there’s a card available in the gift shops. And, the prices of those cards are not less either.

Rather than purchasing, now I’m making gift cards on my own. Teacher’s Day is the occasion when I need to make most number of cards. I plan in advance and buy the ingredients required. When the idea is ready, it doesn’t take much time to make 10-12 cards. There is a personal touch on every card, and you could save a good amount of cash also.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I found at Marukai Wholesale Mart has 2/99 cards and Walmart has cards under a dollar too most of the times for most occasions. When you add up all the different craft things you'll need vs buying a .50 card the .50 card is more inexpensive. Just got to be satisfied with coming as close to what you want to convey in a card. Creating your own will make it unique, says what you exactly want it to say and you can created it exactly as you want it to be. Buying those under a dollar cards, you got to be satisfied with the selection at hand.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That ought to have been a good idea if I know how to make gift cards. That way I simply just make the gift cards to exactly my choice of words and design before presenting one on any occasion. It maybe more economical but could be time intensive. If I got the chance and know how to then maybe I'll probably be making myself and wouldn't pay the artist.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I always enjoy making my own gift card, it's a good money saver and it's fun to use our creativity. I know they can be time consuming but I feel as they have more meaning as we can make them exactly how we know the person would like it. As long as I have the material I would definately always prefer making my own.

5. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If you are able to make several cards from the same materials, and find those materials on sale, it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, it can get rather expensive to make handmade cards, depending on the tools and materials needed. There is tons of stuff that you can buy now days to make gorgeous cards, but it adds up quickly. While you don't have to have all the tools, they are certainly convenient.

I would like to do more of this, but I always find something else that I could or should buy to go with it. If you keep it simple, you might save some money.

There are greeting cards available in some dollar stores and such that go for as little as 50 cents each (you may need to buy 2 for a dollar to get the deal). It's affordable and convenient.

If you're comparing handmade cards to those high priced greeting cards though, you could probably find some savings with the former. I can't believe some of those prices these days.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to cards I usually make it on my own as this will give a personal touch and creates a wonderful feeling to whom we are giving. Also, it saves money and it will be worth the time spending.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would want to go the route of making my own greeting card in order to save money. I will settle for what the professionals may have to offer which will allow many styles and designs to choose from and will save me from the hassle of having to be struggling to perfect my own creation.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Although I have tried it (because it is a great way to save money... especially when you have many important friends :)) watching some videos about it, the results don't usually come out very good because I unfortunately don't have that kind of skill. :oops:

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit A lot of people don't have that kind of skill, even some of the people that make those beautiful cards. They have tools to make perfect cuts (like perfect circles, etc.), which makes thing a lot easier. It would take me all day to cut a passable circle, much less a perfect one without those kinds of tools. They also use top quality (expensive) materials, not just average paper and stuff. That's what I was getting at before.

The stuff is gorgeous, so if it's something you'd like to do, I'd suggest trying to find some offers on such items or buy in bulk (making many cards from the same set of materials). Otherwise, I think I'd stick to simple stuff like adhering some matching wrapping paper to some card stock or making simple "to and from" cards or simple gift tags with ribbon. You can also find cheap or free printables for cards and tags sometimes. I've seen several on Pinterest.

#9May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I typically purchase cards at the dollar store because they are cheap and most people do not save cards these days anyway. If it is a super special occasion, I have been known to buy supplies and make a really nice card. I have found that most people just read the card and eventually throw them away, so it is a waste of money to spend all of the time and effort. You are better off making a really nice gift that the recipient can cherish for years to come.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It is really hard to beat the two for a dollar deal on greeting cards. I've seen this deal at Dollar General as well as at Dollar Tree. I'm sure some other stores offer it as well, but those are the ones I have access to.

I used to see an occasional sale where you could even get four for a dollar. I guess that's what they do when they want to clean out the old cards to add new stock. It's a great time to stock up on a few "generic" ones to have on hand. Of course, when it's for someone special, I like to pick out a specific card for that person, even though most people don't save cards these days like you said.

Even a buck isn't bad, compared to some of the cards I've seen. I'm not spending $5.00 or more on a greeting card. I'd rather apply that amount to the gift. Of course, if it's a gift card that they can spend, but it's pretty and has a greeting, that's different.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, nowadays I always make my own gift cards. The gift cards that are selling in the gift shops are really expensive, and I think making our own makes the gift more meaningful. Moreover, it is fun making the cards too. I like to search online for DIY card tutorials, and it is interesting to learn how to make different kinds of cards.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have always wanted to give someone a certificate or gift card for a free back rub from me, but I have never really gotten up the nerve to do it, or at the last minute I realize how foolish it is. Maybe one of these days.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    @larryl332@larryl332 But look on the bright side because you're at least trying and want to improve this activity... I can't say the same about myself (because I know I really don't have the talent for it, haha :D). I'll have to continue to spend money buying gifts. :oops:

#14Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017