Do You Love Or Hate Advertisments?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by lisasian86 • Jun 4, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid I used to hate advertisements. When channels interrupt your favorite show to give some space to advertisements. When I finally understood the necessity of companies to do some heavy investments into marketing, I began to grow fond of them. I value and praise the creativity of a marketing savvy when conveying a neat idea into an advertisements.

Some of them are weird, offensive or just plain bad. But there are some quite a masterpieces out there.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am at a loss to state whether to state whether I love or hate adverts. Its not a case of black and white. Some adverts are informative and beneficial to viewers while others interrupt interesting programs thinking that prime time is the best to net the highest degree of viewership. I like or hate an advert based on its individual merit.

3. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1New Member

Threads:
    I think advertisements are stupid most of the time. But, every once in a while you see a advertisement that is worth looking into. I personally think YouTube advertisements are stupid.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ads are OK, sometimes you can learn useful information form them. the thing I don't like about ads is that they can sometimes go on and on it seems, at a higher volume than regular programming. I thought they passed a law about that! Anyway, the food ads tend to make me crave something, when they are advertisign something good!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like commercials any more than than the next person but there are so many now on tv it is hard to enjoy a show. I think one day I counted more than 10 commercials before the show came back on which to me is way too many. I often just turn the tv off and listen to music.

6. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    I feel you on this one, as soon as I see ads in places that I don't want to see them, I leave the website. When I go and read some blog post for something that I was searching and see an ad right in the middle of the post, I leave the page.

I get pop ups from JavaScript probably from minimum 80% of the blogs that I visit. As soon as I enter the site, about 30 seconds in, a box pops up asking for my email and that they promise not to share it with anyone.

If it's a blog with a shop, when I try to exit, they use another pop up and offer me a product that I was looking at for a 50% discount or something. Too much for me, definitely a bad impression which leaves me assuming that they are desperate for sales.

7. bluebetta

bluebettaMember

Threads:
    I am so glad you asked this! I wish there was some way that people could flood advertisers with bad reviews for particularly annoying advertisements. I personally appreciate advertisements that make it clear what they are advertising, and keep the information specific to what that product does in an informative manner. If I want to buy a car, I love to hear about things like gas mileage and safety tests. Give me facts, jack! Some commercials can be entertaining or cute. I think that is why people love Superbowl commercials so much. However, the point of the commercial is to sell something, and if you want to sell me something it might help to tell me something about it.

Commercials that get on my last nerve are ones that do not tell you what they are selling and why. I have been so utterly confused watching commercials for medications that I do not know anything about. I get to see some old lady watering roses or a man chasing after a kid learning to ride a bicycle or something to make him look active. I hear some strange complicated sounding name like Provablitzet Noximonsterous, but I do not know what it is or what it does. Some monotonous voice tells me side effects include explosive diarrhea and rectal prolapse, and other horrific sounding maladies, while I still have no clue what is being advertised and what on earth it is for. I suppose I am supposed to go to my doctor and demand she prescribe me some Provablitzet Noximonsterous because I want a rectal prolapse. I have no idea who the genius advertisement agency is that dreamed this style of commercial up.

The other kind of commercial that makes me want to shoot the television is anything that is purposefully designed to be nerve rackingly annoying. I refuse to drink Pepsi to this day because of an annoying commercial with a high pitched screeching soprano hitting a high note that could shatter your teeth. Local auto dealers and furniture salesmen who think it is cute to blast sirens and flash strobe lights while they hold a barking dog or screaming baby are what I am talking about. Some seem to think it is cute to act manic and shout frantically about some sale that is ending soon, followed by some air horns blasting and sirens. Commercials like that are why I no longer have a television. When they came on I would turn off whatever I was watching and leave it off. It happened enough that the television was off most of the time, and one day I just got rid of it because it was just something else to dust on cleaning day.

It would be lovely if we could do something about commercials that are so terrible that they make us stop watching a program because we can't stand to leave the television on any longer. Since extremely nerve shattering, gratingly annoying advertisements seem to defeat the whole purpose of advertising, I wonder why they are so common. Surely there may be some way to give networks feedback to take some commercials off the air.

8. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    There are some adds I enjoy. Recently I have become fond of Subaru ads because of the way they use dogs in the ads. I have had good experience with Subaru and they seem to be friendly and reliable, so the use of the dogs makes sense.I also enjoy the insurance ad with the dogs doing the synchronized swimming. I also like the ads with Flo.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    As an internet marketer, I know that ads must be dealt with carefully. In some niches, they can lower the value of a blog. In other ones, a large number of ads are more acceptable, but not too many.

I'd actually like to keep some of my online projects ad free, because I find ads annoying on them, and it would take a long time to gain a huge following anyhow, a following of thousands that would make ads worth it.

However, note that ads can sometimes be good for the look of a blog or forum, even if your not making money off them. That situation is especially true when the blog or forum is colored white.

10. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I'm indifferent towards them. I don't really watch television anymore so I don't see a lot. I mainly see them on YouTube and Twitch and trust me I hate them there. Overall, I might actually dislike them because they are usually used at points that leave a lot on tension in whatever I'm watching though that's due to the creator of the film and not necessarily the creator of the advertisement.

11. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    The only ads that I like to see are for new food products, because that's the only thing that I would likely be buying, since I love food and I like to try out various kinds of food as much as possible. The rest of the ads that do not interest me like car or exercise equipment ads, then I would happily change the channel once I see them.

12. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like when there is too much advertisement. Commercials on television make free network television well, free. Though I wouldn't like it if it were on cable television because I pay for it. I don't like advertisement on YouTube and tend to only turn Adblock off when I really enjoy a video.

13. Oolongfan

OolongfanNew Member

Threads:
    I usually dont, but it really depends on the ad. For example, I love Geico ads. As a matter of fact, I actually have looked them up on YouTube just to rewatch them. Seriously, have you seen the one about Tarzan and Jane? I also think Flo on the Progressive ads is funny. Companies will do anything to get you to remember their brand, so I think there is kind of this silent competition to make the funniest and most memorable ad.

14. Forty Five

Forty FiveNew Member

Threads:
    The only ads I ever see are the ones on TV because I can't control that. I have an ad blocker that keeps most of them at bay on my computer and I always skip the YouTube ones every time. Ads just drive me crazy except for some funny ones, and I don't think they influence my decision much.In fact I sometimes steer away from something because it has an annoying ad.

15. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would also say that it really matters what time of the day you are talking about and what channel or medium. I am way more likely to appreciate an ad in a newspaper or magazine maybe a little more than a commercial, and anything on past midnight is pretty much worthless.

16. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    I think part about the issue now is that people feel that due to the achievement of utilizing online networking to offer items that they don't generally need to ponder the basic purposes of offering something ,target showcase,mark,writing,etc.Just on the grounds that something is a considerable measure less expensive to advertise all inclusive now doesn't mean you ought to likewise hold back expenses in other areas.That's what I despise of promotions.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Goods, commodities or whatever products advertised in any form of media like TV, radio, newspaper don't actually tell the truth. In fact, those products are being exaggerated just to appear appealing. In spite of that, there are still many prospective buyers are misled and have been compelled to purchase those advertised items.

18. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    Ads are the only way most companies have gained publicity. But sometimes they over do their use. I have no problem with ads because their nature and graphics improve day by day.You can't judge a product from the ad since most of them are appealing but they should avoid intruding other online activities.

19. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't watch TV or read newspapers just to view advertisements. However, while watching TV and reading newspapers, I am exposed to ads and I don't mind this. In fact, I find ads entertaining as well as informative. Once there was an ad that said for "an adults beer has more calories than milk," it was an interesting finding.

20. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I trust consumer reviews better than ads. I registered to this forum to see consumer reviews from real customers. I don;t trust paid models and celebrity endorsers. I only trust real people who experienced using the products themselves. I trust word of mouth much better than some flashy advertisement on TV.