Do You Like To Travel Alone Or With Family And Friends?

Discussion in Travel started by Ray1 • Feb 12, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate to admit it but for me one is okay two is fine, three is mob but four is certainly dangerous. I prefer to travel with my wife but not with family or friends. I have a bad experience of traveling with relatives because it has always ended up in disputes. In fact, I am very punctual when some of them are not. So what is your experience in this?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I am quite the opposite as a i always have a great time traveling with family but with friends not so much. I feel like their company makes everything more fun and I like the fact that we share the experiences which we can later talk about and remember the good times. I like having people to talk to during the travels and how a trip can generate great quality time with them.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have done a lot of traveling over the years and have to admit that I do not like to do it on my own. If I get lost or disoriented I kind of start to panic. I am most comfortable traveling with at least one other person. I do not like to travel in groups because each person has an idea of what they personally want to do and sometimes we have disagreements and not everyone gets to do the things they want to do. At least if you are only traveling with one other person, you can compromise a lot better.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to travel with at least one person I can trust implicitly. I have traveled and shared room with another stranger, but in the same club, thus it's a bit uncomfortable for you got to leave your money unattended at times in the room that you share. I bought a little lock that's only noticeable by me for my belongings which is heavier, but assures me everything is safe. I didn't particularly like it when I had to use locks. I traveled with my Mom and didn't have to worry about anything at all while traveling in a foreign country too. Traveling with someone compared with traveling with strangers, I'd rather travel with at least one person you can trust and share the room with only. I've traveled with family, but I was a little girl, at the time and it was pleasant, so I would travel with family too. Group travel saves money too aside of having someone like the tour guide to help you in a strange place aside of traveling with family is a bonus so you can have fun and save money without worry.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    If it is too personal and I am alone to travel. I have to go alone. But it is more fun and enjoyable to be with my family members to travel together to visit tourist spots, to go out for an excursion, to go to a shopping, among others. We do believe that family that stays together would live forever. It is our belief that family could be together forever. Therefore, I don't want to deprive my family of the happiness in traveling, the enjoyment in traveling together. The more we get together, the happier are we.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona While I tend to agree with you on most points regarding family bonding, love etc but when it comes to travel with them it is always a problem for me. You see the individual choices differ with each other from person to person so if my aunt wants to stay in a particular place for 2 hours my uncle does not. Likewise we wish to start at 8 in the morning and waiting in the lobby but some of our relatives are still sleeping. Some of them wish to take a breakfast first before starting while the fun of the place is "Rising Sun". So decide for yourself :)

#6Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife and I are travelers and we have developed some kind of protocol like upon arriving at the airport, I would source out the transportation while she would find an ATM machine for the local currency. In the hotel, she would do the check in while I would be verifying our planned itinerary. I can’t imagine myself traveling alone now. In 2010, I was sent to Singapore for a 1-week seminar and I was really uncomfortable in the trip. Especially when it comes to eating, there’s always the possibility of ordering too much food that would certainly go to waste. More often than not, we only get 1 order of food and share it between my wife and me because we are not big eaters.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Same here, in fact when I was in the process of writing my first book on tour and travel, I would write it on paper and my wife did the necessary photography or even typed some of the content when I was busy researching the history and geography of the places we visited. In fact she is the most perfect person as a travel companion. She had accompanied me on many official tours too that we decided to extend after my official job was completed and we extended stay for weekends.

#8Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind travelling alone or with a partner but when it comes to family and relatives it always causes postmortem disputes.

I rather travel with a mix group of strangers for a tour than relatives.

I can manage well singly or with others. The lack of dependency and the freedom of timing and activity adjustment is what I love during travel and with larger group often that ends up being difference of opinion.

10. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I really think my dream come true would be to travel alone. I have never had this opportunity, unfortunately. As a single woman, my family would never allow me to do it. Even though I KNOW I would be just fine. I'm very cautious and always keep an eye out for danger, suspicious-looking people, etc. But I am a bit afraid of flying, and that would be the only part I might struggle with a bit, being on a plane alone without family members reassuring me everything will be okay and we're not crashing. :eek::D

The main reason I know I would enjoy travelling alone would be the hotel-stay. I love a quiet, empty room to sleep in with nobody else walking around, waking up earlier than me, snoring, or just the idea of somebody else sleeping in the same room as me. I just need it to be completely quiet to sleep well, and travelling alone would be the best way to get this...even though I doubt I will ever be able to go through with it. That's why I always do my best to at least get adjoining rooms with family members, some hotels will even give you a great discount, rather than getting two separate rooms right next to each other. You still get the privacy, but also the safety and reassurance of knowing a family member is connected to your room. ;)

11. LesY

LesYMember

Threads:
    I love traveling alone. It just gives me everything I need. It gives me the flexibility to do whatever I want whenever I want. Traveling alone makes you do things you normally would not do and meet awesome people from lots of places. I know it can be a bit scary for some people at the beginning but it is worth it. You get to know yourself truly.

Also I dislike to schedule my travels and always change what I want to do so it is hard to match that with someone else.
    The only downside I have encountered is that sometimes something amazing happens or you see something really beautiful and you don't get to share it with anyone, but the memory will be there forever.

12. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I don't like travelling alone but as OP said travelling in a large group of people could also be a disaster as sometimes we need to adjust to their preferences and schedules. At the same time it all depends on what type of people you are traveling with. A group of one or two people can make our trip more enjoyable as it's always good to have somebody with us to share our feelings. Moreover, they also might have excellent ideas to make the trip more pleasurable.

From a safety point of view too if you are visiting a strange unknown place to you it is always better to be in a group of people especially at night times. We should ensure that there is at least somebody to help us in case of an emergency.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm Same as I feel, I can travel at most with one couple but more than that is always a burden on me. I am too punctual to tolerate people who have no value of time or when they are out with someone they feel that the others will look after their needs. I avoid all such people and found it out the harder way that almost all fall in that category.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 True that more people can produce more disputes. But still I prefer to go out with more people. I mean if I am going for two or three days then I am okay with my partner only. But if tour is long then better to have group as we can easily get bored if we are limited. So for me it is depend on the days of the holidays. lol

#14Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  15. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I like travelling with my family if I am going for a long stay or be a way for a long time for work. This way anywhere go I won't be missing my partner and children especially if I am travelling for work which could take years to accomplish. For short stay travels say not more than a week it's fine in my view if I engage on that alone.

16. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I always wanted to travel alone around the world and it has been my childhood dream. But for now, mostly I travel along with my best friend. We love this duo travel as we don't have any constraints of going to places, meeting new people and experiencing new things. ;):)

But when I travel with my family there will be lots of rules and constraints which has to be followed and they will not allow us freely to explore new things and places. Especially my mother. She makes lots of rules which reduces the freedom of enjoyment. The next thing is that I don't prefer to travel with relatives as it has ended in a fight and misunderstanding always like you said.:(:mad:

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Its good to travel with people,as long as you both know each others travel personalities. For example you have the "relaxer" and this person just likes to get to the hotel and then kind of relax for the rest of the week. They like to go out and get a cocktail maybe, and have dinner at the same place every night,also they like to take it easy and sit by the pool all day as well. They really are not interested in venturing out much though. Then you have the "adventurer" that likes to get off the beaten track and do things and maybe in a physical way as well. He's not interested in schedules and seeks freedom at all costs.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I like traveling (I mean, I like it a lot! :eek:), whether alone, with my family or with my friends. I think my mood can influence my final decision from time to time, but in a general way I'm 50% to 50% (and I'm very "ok"with that :)).

19. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I like traveling with my husband because we have a lot in common. He goes where I go. We usually go to places where there's a need for hiking or adventure. But, I have been planning to travel solo. I just feel like it's an achievement to be on your own in a foreign place and meet new friends.

20. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I love to go with a travel group if this group is of my family members then it's good but if it is with my friends with whom i love to spend time then it's better than the first situation. Byt the way i love traveling anyway either I am alone, with a friend or with family i just love everything do explore beautiful places around the glob.