Do You Like Black Cats?

Discussion in Pets started by Spectre456 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I grew up wanting to avoid black cats, because of that silly superstition that got started about them. As an adult I knew how silly that superstition really was. A black cat is just that a cat. I use to have stray black cat come into my yard for food. We called her Salem after the cat on the Sabrina series. One day Salem stopped coming by and we figured that the hot weather was just too much for her. Unfortunately at that time I couldn't convince my brother who hated cats to let us keep her.

Anyway years later we did take in Pepper who was a grey cat. She had two litters of kittens. One of those litters included a little black cat, which we again called Salem, more this time for the original stray that we called that. Anyway, I was concerned about Salem at first because we weren't sure we could keep him because of the fact that we spent much money to have Pepper and her two daughters spayed. But then discovered that Salem along with his brother Petey were both boys so we decided to keep them around. I was glad because I feared that Salem wouldn't have got adopted if given to the Humane Society. Yet, Salem is such a sweet and smart cat, this would of been quite a tragedy had it happened.

2. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I wish black cats didn't get such a bad rap. They are a cat just like all other cats, they just happen to have a different color fur. They are no more lucky or unlucky than other cats. If more people would not assume they brought bad luck and realize they would love their human just like the next cat, there would be less black homeless cats. I wonder what started the whole superstition...witchcraft or other?

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've had multiple black cats in my life and they've always been big ole sweeties. There's the whole old (dumb) superstition that black cats are "unlucky" and related to "witchcraft". America and the UK are pretty much the only places black cats are "bad", everywhere else they're symbols of luck! Black cats don't deserve a bad rap, just because people are silly and superstitious. (Not to mention older people thinking that cats shouldn't be allowed around babies because they'll suck out the babies breathe and kill them?! Kid you not, once had an elderly co-worker tell me this after telling her I was proud of a young cousin for being so gentle with our cats. I looked at her like she was loony!)

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if there is a direct correlation between black cats and their personalities, but I can tell you from our own personal experience with our black cat, as well as friends of mine who own black cats, they are by far the most lovable and playful of all of our cats. That said though, our black cat is also by far the dumbest of the bunch too, lol. She does stupid things like tries to jump up on the window sill when the window is closed - then bounces off of it. Or she will be laying near the edge of the table and roll over to stretch out and end up rolling off it on to the floor.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like back cats very much. Mostly because I cannot see them in the dark. I think they look quite evilish in some situations . I have had a black cat once which always dirtied the place and was very mischievous.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like cats. I think that they are just too scary. They are like little tigers, and they really are that's why they creep my out, how much more the black ones. I don't think though that they bring something like a bad luck or anything like an omen. But they are just too hard to define their presence, to see them. To me they are nothing like a moving black in fur. I think they are going to hurt me anytime like any cat, but they are more dangerous, because their attack seems like unpredictable, and depending on their mood they are just going to attack you.