Do You Like Black Cats?

Discussion in Pets started by Spectre456 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    What was your gray cat's personality like, kwriter93? I have an all-gray cat and he is extremely energetic and playful, but not terribly affectionate in a traditional sense. I have known a few other gray cats who were on the aloof side. It works for me since my lap is occupied with the baby but I can still play fetch with the cat. I guess it's natural to have a sort of color preference. I gravitate to solid-colored cats and couldn't explain why. I think my favorite cats from childhood were solid or tuxedo cats and it just stuck with me. I could love any colored cat with the right personality, of course.

2. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    My cat is so caring and loving. it always lives in peace never shown panic and even it never disturbed due to unknown persons. Sometime I leave him at a neighbor's house when I have to go far out of city or country. I love my cat I found it during my NYC tour and keep it as a pet.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have known several wonderful black cats. My bff had a black cat for years who was a sweetheart. My grandma had a black cat that lived to be 20 who was a very good kitty, very tolerant of all the grandchildren and never scratched anyone. I have a bit of sympathy for black cats because they are sometimes mistreated at Halloween time by bad people. They are no different from cats of other colors, they have their own little personalities.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a cat, but the people who live next door have a few. I go outside in my back garden for a smoke often. At night time I will just be stood there, and I will be smoking and their biggest black cat will jump up on the fence and I swear that this cat has one of the most human, mature, majestic faces that I have ever seen. He is handsome in a rugged kind of way. Hard to describe. But you definitely respect him, especially with the looks that he gives you. He is beautiful, although he never comes close to me.

5. LadyMiles

LadyMilesMember

Threads:
    My Bestie actually has a black cat and she is just as adorable as any other cat. I'm not superstitious in anyway so all the silly superstitions about black cats really don't pertain to my life. There has always been some cat in my life and the color of their fur never made a difference, they were always loved the same.

6. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Your shared experience is nice I would like to see the picture of that cat. Can you capture him in your iPhone or tab then post its photograph here. I want to see him after reading your post. Can you do this or not answer please.?

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    OMG!! I wish!!!! I don't see him all the time, but when I do it is night time, and he is just sat on the fence. Most of the time he is facing away from me, and he is quite far away unfortunately. I wish I could get a shot of him though, because he is beautiful and handsome. He is like a grey/black colour. I will take my phone out with me on my nightly smokes though, and if I can snap a shot then I definitely will :) I saw him face-on as little as two nights ago. He surprised me, and I think I surprised him, and then there was that moment where we kind of just stared at each other. We have had a handful of those staring contests, and I have really enjoyed looking into his eyes. Brilliant experience.

8. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    DreekLass ! I hope you will post his snaps soon, definitely I will wait to see the handsome and beautiful cat.but why you don't keep a pet. I think it is a great thing and in this way you can spend some good time with your favorite animal like cat and dog etc.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    The past few nights I have seen nothing of the cat. I am hoping that tonight will be the night. I will have to turn the flash off on my phone though. I am not sure how to do it, but I will have to find out because I don't want to startle or scare the cat when I snap the photo. But if it is night time, then I will need the flash on for a good picture.

I currently live at home with my mother and her step-dad and their children. They often talk about getting a dog or a cat, but nothing ever comes of it. The only pet that I have ever owned was a hamster. I would LOVE a cat of my own though. Absolutely love it!!!

10. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I've had two black cats. The first one was very sweet and loving. She would always greet my brothers and I at the bus stop when we'd get home from school and she'd lay on our chest to help my mom wake us up. She was the sweetest cat in the world! Many years later I adopted another black kitty. She looked just like the first one so you can imagine my expectations were a little high. She was sweet and cuddly at first, but then my other cat ended up having kittens and I think it started a jealous streak in her. Until the day she left us, she was a huge pain. She'd claw up furniture, doors, harass the other pets, swat at my kids. She was a biatch! It depends on the cat I think, not the color. I think the whole bad luck thing with black cats is a horrible stereotype.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Just to give an update. I think it has been two night since I last commented in this thread, Could be more. But I don't seem to be running into the cat. I am hearing a lot of noises in my back garden so I know that he is there somewhere, but I have idea where he is hiding most of the time.

As for the black cat stereotype, I don't believe in it. I think that it is ridiculous. Black cats are some of the most beautiful cats out there in my opinion. The color is what makes these cats beautiful, coupled with the cat itself. I wonder whether or not black cats actually understand the stigma that humans surround them with?/

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I had two adult, female black cats that we kept as pets in the house. Each of our pets have different personality, and some of the cats were more comfortable outdoors for some reason. I think they liked the shades and the comfort of the garden plants, because they often relax there. There were two kittens that was black cats. One had a majority of black fur and dark grey stripes. The other one had mostly black fur and some white spots. Some people get annoyed by the smells and the fur that cats leave behind, but most of my pets never had problems with their fur.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what, I did notice some small slits on my white cat's ears, but I just assumed that was the way they were shaped - they looked more like natural shaped notches than something from an injury or later inflicted in a vets office. I can't recall right now if I also saw these on my black cat, but I believe she has them too. That's interesting that you point that out because both of our cats were in fact spayed already when we brought them in to get fixed. I guess the vet we went to must not have known about the ear thing because they sedated and shaved both of our cats before they saw the scars and realized they had already been fixed.

This is good to know though because we've since taken in a third cat recently. But he/she (we're not sure) is very very bushy/hairy so it's kind of hard to see it's ears - but I will take a closer look.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am so annoyed. Last night, for the first time in a long time, I saw the black cat that belongs to the people next door. Only, outside was raining, so I couldn't get my phone out to take a picture of the cat. Not to mention how windy it was. The wind was blowing the rain ferociously. That was the kind of night that it was, as well as being a little bit foggy. I didn't notice the cat at first, but then I saw movement out of the corner of my eye.

15. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    I adore black cats and currently have three - they are all so loving and have such individual personalities. I was also saddened to find out that they have the lowest adoption rates, largely due to silly old superstitions. I told my parents about it and when they were ready for two new cats they adopted two black kitties - they are adorable and the adoption centre said they had been overlooked for several months.

I hope more people will consider adopting black cats and also black dogs as they suffer the same problems in animal shelters.

16. Joao Sousa

Joao SousaNew Member

Threads:
    I have 3 Black cats and i love them.

17. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    Sadly it is true that black cats are less adoptable, I currently have two, a big 26 pound Bombay cat who is the sweets thing you could ever meet and a domestic short hair who is sweet in his own way but is shy and takes time to warm up to people. both are former kill listed cats, both were very ill when they left the shelter, one with hepatic lipidosis and one with Pneumonia. I had two foster cats who were also all black, both were adopted, one by my sister and one by a friends son and daughter in law. I don't know why they are less adoptable other than possibly that people buy into the old wives-tale that black cats are bad luck or that black cats a re witches familiars. Its a bunch of rubbish and very unfair as it causes a greater number of Euthanizations and there are already way to many animals being needlessly killed in animal control shelters due to human negligence!

18. Misslisa

MisslisaMember

Threads:
    I don't like cats period, but especially black cats. I don't know if what people say about cats is true or not, but maybe because of those things, in my mind it makes it a little creepy to own a black cat.

19. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    We had two black cats 2 years ago and they were absolutely charming. Yes, the black cat stereotyping is ridiculous. The one named Bae always wanted to sleep with me and my husband at night. The other one, Blacky (I know, not a very creative name for a pet) did fetch. Yes, you read that right, he fetched this fluffy toy thing we threw for him to bring it back to our feet. Both of them suffered the same fate of bein ran over by a car. Poor creatures. We live on the main road of our village so the chances of being ran over by a car are really high.

20. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    I would be more drawn to other cats as I do not like the idea of living alone and having a black cat. The superstitious bones in my body just will not have anything of that sort going on in my home. I am planning on getting a cat soon and there is some level of difficulty finding one, what if the only one available is a black cat? I will walk the other way my dear, I have watched too may horror movies it seem, and I really do not know if I could close these eyes of mine knowing that a black cat is in the house. This is just too scary for me!