Do You Like Black Cats?

Discussion in Pets started by Spectre456 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like just about any cat. It's more their personality that attracts me than their color. My Grandma had a long haired black cat and he was a good kitty, he never scratched anyone he was very tolerant of all the grand children and he lived to be at least 20, he was a pretty amazing cat. If I had the opportunity to have a cat of my own, I would certainly consider a black cat as much as any other cat. I would probably take whichever cat seemed to get along with me best whatever their color.

2. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    I love them! They're elegant and mysterious, and there's no denying they seem a little bit magical. Also it seems like every black cat I see has gorgeous emerald eyes. If I had one I'd purposely buy them one of those cute collars with a pentacle, a blessing sign, an ankh or a celtic knot. It's a good way to figure out the kind of people I don't want to waste time on: ''Ermahgerd your cat has a satanic symbol!'' No, you utter twit, those symbols are positive and have nothing to do with satanism.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's sad to hear that black cats have the lowest adoption rates, and I can imagine that it has something to do with the fact that black cats can be considered to be unlucky for overly superstitious people. My sister has a black cat and he's adorable, and if I saw a black cat in the shelter I wouldn't have an issue with adopting it.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course! I love black cats just as much of any other cats. And about the low adoption rate for black cats, that is actually true for dogs as well. I know it sounds insane, but in the animal shelter I used to work at as a volunteer, black dogs and cats had the lowest adoption rates. I find that so sad.

5. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I remember reading that black cats are often not adopted because of old superstitions that they are bad luck! I personally am not superstitious and love all cats. I often foster homeless cats and help them find homes, and black cats are just as wonderful as the rest of them.

6. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Probably lowest in the adoption rate because of the superstition that they are bad luck attached to them. I myself don't like cats, although some are pretty cute. I have a labrador. My parents have a black chihuahua that is one of the cutest dog's I've ever seen. It doesn't look like a typical ugly chihuahua that those rich women carry around in their purses. This one looks like a small puppy even though he is already 8 years old. I think the "curse of the black cat" is why people sometimes avoid them.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    There are lots of people that do not like black cats because all of the superstitions. Some people believe that black cats are bad luck and represent evil. I honestly do not believe in that type of non sense. I actually like black cats and think that they are adorable. I have rode with some people and a black cat crossed the road in front of them, they put a X on their window because they said that they did not want any bad luck to follow them.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I had a beautiful black cat with long hair. He was a neighborhood stray, but adapted easily to an indoor/outdoor lifestyle at my place. He was probably my favorite cat ever (please don't tell my current gray cat, haha). Unfortunately, I found that he unnerved other people. The UPS guy was visibly concerned when he dropped off packages. I have a black dog now, and the shelter I adopted him from said it was really difficult to find homes for black dogs. The reason she gave was because so many people "shop" for pets in shelters online now before coming in, the pictures of black animals just don't showcase their personalities as well. I will admit my dog is not very photogenic. Some shelters offer specials on adoption rates for black dogs or cats. I highly recommend taking advantage of these specials if you are looking for a pet.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love black cats. I have a white one that shows up in my back garden once a week. It always makes me jump, because it shows up at night :D.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We have one, she's full of personality and adorable as hell, but she's dumb as a brick, lol. She was a stray that started lingering around our yard, very emaciated when we got her. She was so weak at first, all she would do is eat then sleep the rest of the day, and could barely move around at all. Once she started putting on weight, she completely perked up and now she's actually quite a bit overweight and goofy as ever. I guess they can develop eating disorders if they have starved for any period of time. They will gorge on food because they don't know when their next meal is going to be coming.

We took her in to get fixed but found out that she had already been fixed. We suspect one of the shelters near us is "dropping off" these fixed cats around nicer neighborhoods such as ours with the hopes someone will take them in. She did not have any collars or tags when we found her.

She likes to sit in the window sill, but often times she doesn't bother to check if the window is even open first, and will try to jump up into it, and bounce off the window then land on the floor, lol. She also likes to jump into boxes or bags or any small compartments. She made a big mistake though one day, when she jumped down our laundry shoot, she wasn't expecting that, and you could hear her freaking out the whole way down lol. When she is sleeping, she will sometimes roll over and stretch out, not paying attention how close she is to the edge of the table, and fall right off of it.

It's a shame they have such low adoption rates, because they really are great cats.

11. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think they're beautiful. My grandmother used to own one and she was the sweetest cat you could ever own. I think a lot people dislike them because of what they were made out to be, but they're not bad pets at all.

12. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I have two black cats and I love them to death. I really don't understand the stereotype behind black cats being bad luck. Whenever I'm feeling down, I snuggle up to them and they always make me feel better. Black cats, unlike most other people, are my lucky charms! I prefer them greatly to calico and orange tabbies.

13. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I always feel so sad when I see black cats at the shelter. I know they are the last ones to be adopted because everyone thinks they are bad luck. :( I really think that's foolish and I would certainly adopt a black cat if we were looking for another cat to add to our family. Actually, I am the person who always goes for the "under dog" when it comes to adopting. I give the chance to the animal that most likely will be last to be taken home. :)

Just me !
    Danyel :)

14. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Does your cat have a tear in her ear, Ohiotom76? I used to work in a vet's office, and I learned that means a feral cat that is vaccinated, spayed or neutered, then returned. Lots of alley cats get picked up as feral, but they were socialized as kittens and then ended up on the streets for one reason or another. Obviously, she's adjusted to family life just fine.

15. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    It is possible that people don’t like black cats due the color, because they associated this color with evil. But I think this is not right. I think God has made nothing bad in this world. I think white cats looks cute more than black that’s why mostly people like them more.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That did not come as a surprise. Most people get too superstitious around black cats, thinking they're "bad luck" or a source of misfortune even though at the back of their minds they don't really believe in it. I have no qualms adopting one. We already have a purely white cat at home. It would be great to adopt a black cat as her companion. Then the two of them would look like yin and yang. I'll adopt all kinds of cats, color regardless.

17. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love black cats! I am on the search for one right now. I have not seen many here, but I have seen some. I hope to have one by the end of this year. It's very saddening that people associate them with badness because of their color.

18. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Be careful, xTinx, lol. You may truly get some bad luck if you adopt a black cat. You will have cat hair that shows on every color clothing. I used to have a dog that was tri colored, and no matter what I wore, he had a contrasting color hair for it to make sure I thought of him all day.

19. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like black cats and don't know why they get such a bad rap. I owned 3 black cats while growing up and maybe that's why I am all for them. I think that it is horrible when they do not get adopted because people think that they are bad luck.

20. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    That's strange, I didn't know this. So sad...

I love cats of all colors, I've had a full gray cat and two orange cats. I never chose them based on their color, but their personality (aside from my current one). My current pet cat was a Humane Society rescue and I took him when one of the workers told me they had one come in. I didn't care what he looked like I took him, I wanted a cat so bad. With this information, I would maybe take it into consideration if I were to adopt another cat. If I were to go back to find a shelter cat, I would want to adopt them all though, it hurts my heart to take only one and not know the fate of the others.

On this note (off topic) please spay and neuter your pets if you are an animal lover.