Do You Learn Music Online For Free?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by kaka135 • Jun 26, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I learned piano when I was young, but I forgot most of them. Perhaps you can check out Hoffman Academy that I shared in my first post, it consists of different lessons, perhaps you can choose one according to your level. My eldest son enjoys learning from the program, even though he didn't know how to play piano before this, I see he has good progress after a few weeks.

2. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    My family were quite musical and we all had private music lessons as we were growing up. I learned to play the piano and the guitar as well as other instruments. I would prefer to go to a lesson and practice at home as it makes it more interesting.

I thnk if I were to learn online I wouldn't have the willpower to continue it. Private lessons are better I think as the tutor can see exactly what areas you need to work on.

3. arachnophobik

arachnophobikMember

Threads:
    I have learned to play guitar online for free. I used to binge watch youtube videos about tutorials on my favorite songs. I think what really gave me a good learning experience were the videos of Marty Schwartz as he actually teaches a bit more in depth compared to other guitar tutors online. He also has a cheap guitar lesson package but I never availed one as I was contented with what he offered for free.

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I just found another site that offers free piano lesson, though the offer is only valid until 31 August 2017. If you are interested, you can check it out here:

I am going to take the opportunity to see if my children will like these lessons, since it's free now.

Thanks @

for sharing that. I always wanted to learn guitar, but I have not really learn so. I will check out Marty Schwartz.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! I've been looking for online tutorials wherein I can learn to play musical instruments by simply watching the tutorial videos and following instructions. For now, I'm focused in learning the piano. Good thing is that I have experience on how to play it, it's just that I forget over the years. Thanks a lot for sharing this information. I will definitely check this out. Cheers! :)

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I would choose this option if I wanted to learn how to play music. Unfortunately, I do not have a musical instrument but I have always wanted to learn to play the piano or guitar. I find it amazing that you can learn just about anything you want to online. There needs to be more time in the day so that I can learn everything that I want to.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @morgoodie@morgoodie Piano and guitar are two instruments I always want to learn too. Piano is much more expensive to buy, perhaps you can start with keyboard if you are really interested. I have a friend who started to learn piano by drawing out the keys on a large piece of paper, and that's how she practice. Yes, I am really grateful for the invention of Internet, so as a stay-at-home mom, it's easier for me to stay at home and learn.

#27Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  8. Violent Gale

Violent GaleNew Member

Threads:
    I don't learn music online. I haven't been able to. I learned how to play the guitar by ear and by reading instructional books.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I had piano lessons when I was younger. It was my parent's wish that I should bring some musical talent into the family. Unfortunately I was not gifted this way and quickly gave up.

I found it hard enough trying to learn through a proper music teacher so would find it virtually impossible online where there is no real guidance. I think you would have to have some kind of special talent to begin with to learn this way.

10. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I was on this online tutorial channel on YouTube. And they teach virtual piano lessons. So anyone who wants to learn piano and have no real one. They can download some free piano software. And learn from it. I have found that it works just fine this way. And you can learn from those channels.

11. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @overcast@overcast Do you mind sharing the YouTube channel you are learning from? Some of my friends do not have piano at home, and they would like to know if their kids would like to play piano. Perhaps the piano software can be good for starting up.

@

I don't really know, but I think sometimes it really depends on interest. I liked learning piano, but when I was forced to practice, I didn't quite like it. Now that I don't have the pressure to practice and prepare for exam, I enjoy practicing it myself. My son does that too.

#31Jul 13, 2017
  12. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to find some good bongo lessons online,as well as learning to play the flute also. It seems like these instruments would be the easiest way to teach yourself and you learn by doing anyhow-so over time I think with some good technique and instruction you could "practice,practice-practice makes perfect" and become a virtuoso at flute or bongos!

13. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @FolkArtist@FolkArtist I have never thought of learning bongo, it's not a common musical instrument here, but it looks fun to play it. Hope you will find some good tutorials for learning bongos and flutes.

Yes, I agree that practice makes perfect, or at least makes much better. I can see how my eldest son is improving his piano playing skills by just practicing everyday on his own. He just loves it, and plays the piano everyday. :D

#33Jul 15, 2017
  14. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    I tried learning how to play the piano online, but soon after I began, I encountered a few problems.

Firstly, I found that, when I didn't understand something, I couldn't ask the instructor for clarification (obviously). So I was constantly paranoid about learning and practicing the wrong thing. And as they say, it takes ten times more effort to unlearn something.

Secondly, I found that I was plagued by distractions at home -- TV, YouTube, Facebook etc. -- with nobody -- i.e. an instructor -- to keep me focused.

So, ideally, you'll want to take lessons with an instructor who is physically present with you -- that is, if you can afford it.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    From business POV, I think a year long trial (mentioned by the OP) is a bit too much. I mean, how many people does he expect to make it to premium? Anyway, I'd reduce it to a few months or maybe 1 month.

So yeah, of course, free courses can be an excellent way to save money. Nonetheless, the material is often inferior and/or incomplete, with the exception of certain trial offers like the piano one.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    For Hoffman Academy, the free lessons are not even just trial lessons or being able to access within a trial period only, they are just free. Of course, if you want extra materials, such as games, worksheets, sheet music, then you will have to upgrade the membership to premium. But, if I just want learn through the video tutorials, I am happy to stay as a free user. The intention of the founder is actually to help many people who can't afford to pay high fees to learn piano. I am not sure if I will upgrade to premium user if my children have learned the higher level, but since they are still learning the very beginning level, we are fine with just the video tutorials.

17. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 I do try to learn how to play piano online.I have never given colleges a shot though.I will try to apply for Hoffman.I have downloaded everyonepiano app for my PC.It's the real deal.It has all the sounds of a real piano.I download easy tutorials by Plutax from You Tube and practice till I get it right.It is an adventurous and flexible way of learning how to play the piano.I am amazed by the large number of piano fans.I always thought I was the only person who appreciated the instrument.

I never knew there were free courses in music.I have downloaded the everyonepiano application for my PC.It's a great learning guide for piano playing.I download free tutorials by Plutax from YouTube.It's an easy and flexible method of slowly learning the ropes in piano playing.I am impressed by the number of people in this forum who also love piano.I have always felt like the odd egg until this moment.I will try to apply at Hoffman University.

#37Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2017
  18. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Kieranlewix@Kieranlewix Thank you for sharing those information about learning piano. At the moment, my kids enjoy learning piano from Hoffman Academy though I have found a few other free resources, as Mr. Hoffman, the founder is very funny and the way he teaches is more interesting. There are always many people sharing their resources for free online, though there might still have some paid versions, the free versions are fine for us to learn and explore the courses first too. Hope you will enjoy the piano lessons!

#38Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2017
  19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I love music so much but I really don't see it in me to learn one or be an artist in the music field. I try once in a while to learn how to sing an already existing song by another person making use of Mixmatch application. This application gives me direct access to any song lyrics online and it helps me master master how to sing the song as it's been played.

20. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    I have two go-to youtube channels that I use for my music lessons. On the bass, I use Scott Devine's channel. He has a holistic approach to his channel which caters to everyone from the rank amateur to the well-traveled pro. He has his own paid service, as well. I almost hate to say this because he's such a good guy and I want him to succeed...but you almost don't need it! His free youtube lessons are so comprehensive, so utterly pregnant with value, that I can scarcely imagine needing the one on one lessons.

I also play the piano and I really enjoy Kent Hewitt's channel. His lessons are probably not very accessible for the beginner. He moves over the subject matter at a brisk pace, assuming you understand the basics. However, if you do have the fundamentals down, his jazz piano lessons are the bible, as far as I'm concerned. He knocks down any barrier between you and the often mysterious world of jazz phrasing and chord structure. He's got a pleasantly eccentric personality too so it's fun to listen to him explain his technique.