Do You Have a Monthly Pet Budget?

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Nov 25, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How much do you spend on your pet in one month? Most pet owners don't know how much they spend and for that reason can go overboard because they haven't set any [monthly] spending limits.

Creating a budget will stop your from going overboard with treats, paying for grooming and other fancy stuff. If you haven't yet tried doing that, experiment for two or three months and see how much you'd save.

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Not really, because I never go overboard with that kind of thing. I seem to have really good self control.

3. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    I have one cat and she's very low maintenance. I hardly spend over $25 a month for all her needs. Most of the monthly budget goes to her food. I also buy cat litter in bulk to save money. I probably only buy once every three or so months.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's something I never really thought about. At the moment I don't have any pets, but all of my past pets, and that includes dogs, cats, chooks, ducks, a snake and a horse, always received premium food and care from me. Luckily, it was never a problem for me to provide the best care for my pets. I never thought twice about buying my dog special treats once or twice a week. And it was the same with the rest of my animals. Even my birds enjoyed a very balanced diet with the occasional treat, such as raisins.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy my cat food and nothing else, so it's highly unlikely that I will overspend when it comes to my pet. Cats are low maintenance pets too, that's why I love them.

6. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    My Pet Budget

When I managed my cat I spent around $200 to get started, and then an average of $50 per week for its food, medicine, pampering, etc. And then when it bred and created a family of its own, the total amount spent per week was about $25. We then found a place to supply us with cat food in bulks and that really helped in cutting the cost of the food for the baby kitten, the mother cat and the male cat. They all drink water and milk. If we hadn't found additional source for the cat food, then it would probably cost us about $100 a week for food and snacks alone. Grooming, vaccinations and others are done at the pet hospital and at the pet salon.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think I spend quite well on my pets. Most of the expense occurs due to grooming which is the basic nessecity for the pets. I think it is quite wonder that their grooming leads to highest amount of expense. Their food expens is quite less.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a budget when it comes to the expenses I have with my dog. However, I don't feel like I spend that much with him. I get him treats and dog food, and location I wouldn't waste, but I don't feel like the money spent on those would be missed at the end of the month so I never felt a need to control the budget specifically for that. Also, I usually buy dog food and treats in bigger packs so I feel like I have more control of my expenses like that because I'm not going to the pet store all of the time and spending money on unnecessary things.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No budget here. We have 5 cats now and we rescued them to give them a better life. We don't splurge, but we make sure the health of our family (including our pets) is first and foremost, meaning their food needs to be the best it can be. So our cat food is rather expensive until I get the nerve to feed them raw lol. We don't feed them treats because they're just garbage and terrible for their health.. and they prefer boxes and tinfoil for toys lol.. so other than the food, they aren't setting us back anything. Oh and we use pellets for their litter, so that's only 6 dollars for a 40 lb bag. Occasionally we'll bring home a few new beds or grooming tools, but no monthly expenses aside from the food and pellets.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Grooming and fancy stuff are not even part of our monthly pet budget because we do handle those ourselves. We limit our pet expenses to 2 kilos of dog food and 2 kilos of cat food, available at wholesale/retail stores. Overall budget does not exceed $20 except in cases where we have to buy dog shampoo or soap, which usually happens on a quarterly basis.