Do you get what you pay for?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by EvoDoom • Aug 4, 2012.

1. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I think we do. It's our router that really sucks and makes us waste our money on a faster internet connection. Now, try to make my father buy a new one... only if you're a miracle worker.

My download speed for torrents is generally good so I don't complain. When browsing the web, sometimes the wi-fi signal is not that strong; but thanks to my neighbor and his un-secured network, I'm fine!

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I think I do, I actually pay a higher amount than most people and I can't remember the last time the speed dropped or the internet went down. The company I with also do my phone and that is where they let themselves down.

3. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    I'm writing this response right after a reliable speed test for my Verizon FIOS. The speedtest says 15 mb download and 5mb upload. I am paying about $40 here in New York City. Am I getting what I paid for? I'll say yes.

4. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    I usually pay more but get what I don't want or get less than I expect. Thats why I read reviews before buying things.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm certainly not getting what I pay for. I'm paying for high-speed broadband and my internet speed is very slow. The problem we have is that we are far from the internet exchange so our broadband speed will always be slow, irrespective of the provider.

6. RedNeckJiuJitsu

RedNeckJiuJitsuNew Member

Threads:
    I think we're getting close to what we pay for, but I'm not certain. Our problem is that we had to get a landline phone with our DSL service, so we're also paying for something that we don't use.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No one is really getting what they pay for or the providers would not be making profit. The internet providers make huge profits by selling broadband. It is relatively cheap to set up and send broadband around the country.

8. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    We have a business line here in the house (hubby works from home), and it's quite good honestly. Remember that it still depends on how many people/households are sharing the same exchange in your area. So the lesser people using that exchange, the faster your broadband connection would be.

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always feel like I get what I should for my money my cable I pay over 100 bucks a month and i'm always having problems with them and it seems my bill is getting higher when it's suppose to be a set amount each month unless I order movies which I don't do much.

10. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Not actually. we pay for the best but never get it. Especially I did get any hing best out of this sector.

11. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    I do not get what I pay for. I am currently using Time Warner Cable and their plans, and I have to say, I'm not satisfied with the speeds. They guarantee you fast speeds, but my download speeds are not consistent. At days, I can download at 100kb/s while other days, I can download at 1 or 2 mb/s. My upload speed is also very low when they guarantee you a set amount. Considering the amount I pay each month for Time Warner Cable, it is not worth it. There are much better internet plans out there such as Comcast or Verizon. I am thinking about switching, but haven't made up my mind yet.

12. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I think internet connections are quite iffy in general. After all they do say "speeds up to". I actually worked for tech support at an internet provider and its not really the plan you buy rather its the quality of the lines in your area and how far you are from the central office that they will connect you to. Usually the basic package is a good measure if the service is good. If you don't get 80% of the speed mentioned most of the time the cables in your area are probably old or you are far from the central office. The further you are the slower your speed. That means upgrading your package won't be doing you any good if in the basic plan your speeds are not hitting the advertised ones.

13. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    My internet was pretty slow until they upgraded their customers hubs a few months ago, now it's super fast and I've had no problems at all since those upgrades. I was actually thinking of switching companies before that because I could hardly browse the internet -the web pages were taking about 5-10 seconds to load so it was a nightmare to get anything at all done online.

I keep checking my speeds online and they are what the company claims to be giving me, so I have no complaints yet.

14. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely getting what I payed for because I paid for dial up at one point and it was justvstssful all the time because my connection would go away at random times, I ended up dropping the service because I realized I would rather have quality in my life. Now I have a bundle deal with cable as well as Verizon and I've never had a problem in the last few years. I don't regret a single penny I pay for the wonderful service.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can only speak from my personal experience and I would say you do not get what you pay for. I pay for up to 20MB but my internet speed is only around 2MB because I am far from the internet exchange. There is nothing you can do about it if you are on the outer edges of the exchange area.

16. dafriend

dafriendNew Member

Threads:
    for my cell phone - i am with orange in Austria, recently changed to Drei - yes
    For my home internet service - TOTALLY unsatisfied. Am with A1 in Vienna, Austria - they have the monopoly, unfortunately and they suck the big one!

17. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    I definitely do not get what I pay for but unfortunately what I have now seems like the best deal around. My internet is so slow sometimes that it feels like a really fast dial up connection. I have a 2mbps connection and when it was new it was great! I don't know what happened. I guess it's because we have a dynamic ip and we share the bandwidth with other subscribers.

18. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I've go the same problem where I live! There is dynamic IP problem which is common where I live and this make things more of a nuisance for us than it already is! It seems I'm paying the internet company top dollar to give me mediocre speed and connectivity!

19. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    I am not getting what I am paying for, I want to switch but I have no other choice since there are only 2 ISP providers in my area and my friend is using the other ISP and the problem is much worse. My ISP is not delivering the actual speed advertised and I found out that they were capping their users if you already have reached 1 GB of browsing per day and that makes your speed even slower. They shouldnt advertise 20 MBPS or something and should make their customers aware that they cap the internet speed at a certain usage. But capping is not just fair.