Do you get what you pay for?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by EvoDoom • Aug 4, 2012.

1. EvoDoom

EvoDoomMember

Threads:
    Hey there, as we all know Internet Service Providers often bathe their customers in promises of super fast speeds and great connection and most times it turns out to be just plain untrue. Do any of you get what you pay for? And how do you feel about the companies' claims? Personally, I feel cheated by them as the speeds they advertise are often true only for the minority of customers, thoughts?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I pay a lot of my cable internet compared to what many DSL companies are offering but I have great speeds that are totally reliable and constant. I read so many horror stories that I guess I don't mind paying a little more to have fast internet that I can count on.

You get what you pay for.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we get what we pay for. We have bundled service. It includes basic cable, the Internet and a phone. My roommate wanted a phone. I don't pay for the phone portion. I don't use and rarely answer it. My internet service is fast and reliable. I think we've only had one disruption and that was due to extremely high winds.

4. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree. I payed extra for extra speed and at times it does not seem to deliver. Even when I make sure my pcs are running at their best!

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Well some of the claims are true if you live in an area with great coverage. You can check the coverage before you purchase the Internet deal. I've found that when you pay a small amount of money for Internet the service is horrible. The more expensive services are better because you get higher quality. Some of the companies claim blazing fast speeds, but if there are many people using the connection you won't get those speeds. I found that certain times of the day it's faster usually early in the morning the Internet is faster because there's no one using the service.

6. donaldplozha

donaldplozhaMember

Threads:
    I am actually subscribed a private internet provider here in Albania, for 3 mbps, and 95 % + of the time I get what I pay for.

7. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    The price I paid for is quite reasonable and accordance with the speed I get. My download speed is roughly 500kbps, not the best, but is above average in my area. There are options to upgrade the plan, which I might consider upgrading in the future.

8. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    What is the name of your carrier in Scotland. I am in Ireland and use Three.ie. I find it okay I have a booster that I paid extra for that I keep on. I had a different account with three and had no booster and to tell you the truth I seen no difference. I think the computer and the type of processor on the computer will tell how fast the computer goes. Also if there are virus in the root or in zipped files. There are so many reasons for slow connection. My computer speed is slow but I contribute that to my computer. :)

9. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    Well of course your internet speed won't make your computer run faster, the two are completely independent of one another.

As for getting what you pay for, it really depends on what your expectations are. Your speeds are always going to be a little bit lower than advertised, that's normal and from my experience what most people who complain about their speeds are really complaining about.

You just can't expect your internet to be at peak speed mid-day, not on a popular provider.

10. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I have Comcast. When it works, it is super fast. However, there are some days when it keeps going out. I reboot the Comcast box and my router constantly. When I call customer service, the regular operators are like robots who know virtually nothing.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have Verizon and it is so slow. I am looking to switch providers soon. I am tired of paying so much for so little. I don't want to bundle with a cable company. Heck, I plan on ditching my cable soon and just getting a Roku box.

12. Nethervor

NethervorNew Member

Threads:
    I have to say,most of the time I get what I pay for. But that statement isn't really as good as it sounds in reality.
    I don't pay much for my internet. Up until recently it was a good deal. I mean, if you want cheap stuff, you have to expect that the quality of the service will not be the greatest. But it's gotten really bad in the last couple of months. My speed is not as high as it should be, and the connection seems to be getting more unstable by the minute.

It's not that I can't afford a more expensive package, but up until now I figured why pay a lot when you can pay much less and have decent internet access.

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    How can your DSL be slow? Mine is super quick. Maybe you need to have them come out and inspect your wires. Or maybe get a new modem? Sometimes, DSL can send all the packets it wants to give you speedy internet service. But in reality, if you live in an area with bad wiring or other instruments that interfere with the signal, then your DSL will be slow. There could also be other people feeding off of your line. Might wanna look into that as well.

14. giantzfan247

giantzfan247New Member

Threads:
    i have comcast/xfinity and the speeds are actually higher than advertised, i live in carteret nj, i should have speeds of 25/5-which is the upgrade from 15/5 but i actually have 35/10 so i am really happy with my isp,also i can change ip unlimited number of times.also the phone and tv is also amazing.i dont have any experience with time warner or verizon. oh yea comcast also has 247 live support if u have an tech issues.and the technical people are also earlier than expected

15. vaericke

vaerickeNew Member

Threads:
    The speed here in the Philippines by smart bro is 2.0 mbps and that's not the worst, we get to pay 1000 pesos for it and the speed goes down to 1mbps or lower most of the time. It's really irritating and inconvenient.

16. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    I live in Key West, Florida. Last year, I upgraded to the highest possible speed. It still goes out several times a day, and sometimes for long periods of time. When it works, it is fast, but many times, it is not working properly. It has gotten much worse in the last few days. I have concluded that this may be a problem with the modem, and I am going to exchange it today. If that does not fix the problem, I have a technician coming over tomorrow.

17. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    I pay about R149 ($18) for my dsl line. Here in South Africa we only have one dsl line provider and speeds depend pretty much on where you stay. In my residential area the top line speed is 384kbs which is quite slow. The line is great though and quite dependable. Apart from the low speed (a real pain for gaming and downloading) I have no complaints at all about my line its a budget line and does its job

18. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    I've heard of this before and definitely will be looking into it for myself!

My DSL was super slow and very intermittent too, no matter how many people I had come out to check the wires and connections. I finally broke down and ordered the much faster, much more expensive type of internet from the same company. Unfortunately, the same company is the only option where I live. The difference is amazing. I can work all day long on the internet, stream video and audio without a hiccup and multitask like mad.

I think I'm definitely getting what I pay for with this new service. With the old service, no way. I wish I could get a refund.

19. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    I was checking my Broadband speed the other day as I was having problems connecting and it can take ages for some web pages to download.

I found that my connection is no where near the speed that I have been promised. It's not even half as fast as it promises to be, but I've heard that this is often the case and surveys often find that customers do not get the speed that they are promised.

I do think that if a company has promised something then you should get it, and while I could understand it being a bit slower than stated, they cannot justify it being that slow.

Internet connection is slow in my area anyway so that might be part of it, but I am actively looking for a new provider.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly believe in the rule of the thumb that you get what you pay for. I use to have a dial up connection and it was pretty cheap, but very slow. Now that I have upgraded to broadband, the connection is much better and faster, although I don't really get the advertised speed that the ISP providers claim.