Do you ever use candles to save on electricity costs?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Dora M • Jul 13, 2014.

1. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I never use candles when my electricity is ok. I will only use them when the power is out which doesn't happen very often anyways. Most of the time, only in spring when there can be some pretty rough storms do you actually run the risk of that happening more often. But no, even then I am afraid of falling asleep with candles on because they consume the oxigen in the room and leave a musky smell and the smoke can also blacked your walls a bit and its just all around unpleasant and not so usefull in my opinion.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Not generally, no. Electricity is included in our rent, so I don't really worry or even think about the cost very often, honestly. I use candles if there is a black out, or sometimes just to set a certain mood and read/write/draw by...but I don't really use them in place of electricity in other circumstances.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried using candles in order to save on my electricity bill, lol, what I use candles for is to provide me with some source of light when my electricity goes, where I live, we have very frequent power cuts, and so, I'll buy candles for the moment when the electricity goes. I think I could use candles to help minimize my electricity cost at home because instead of using the light in the dinning room when eating, the light in the bathroom when using the bathroom or the light in the kitchen when using the light, I could use a candle, however, will the light from the candle be bright enough to allow me to see what I need to see when in the different rooms? and, does it mean that I'd have to lit the candle every time I want to use it? I guess so, and would that be convenient? hmmmm...Finally, the risk of a home fire is another thing that I am very apprehensive about, I would not like to know that a candle I have at home is the reason for my home being burnt all the way to the ground.

4. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't do it because of safety issues. What if I fall asleep and the candle goes buck wild? I would rather get a solar lamp and then use that at night. I have seen some at the Dollar Tree, but I do not know how they hold up.

5. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, not really. Electricity's included in the rent already, soooo...

I doubt I would if I owned my home anyway. I turn my lights off whenever I leave a room already, and during the day I'm quite content to sit in the semi-dark, with just the windows for light. I'm writing this at night, and I only have a small cluster of lights on overhead. I doubt I draw too much electricity, especially compared to most households.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily for me, electricity costs aren't bad where i live. Plus, when you consider the fact that we get load shedding from time to time, I wouldn't want to subject myself to a self-imposed load shedding session LOL We only use candles during those times when we get load shedding and I think it's more than enough. The other thing I don't like about candles is the potential risk factor. I hear of so many sad horror stories involving accidents with candles.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used candles once in awhile maybe if their is a power outage, but generally I use a flashlight. I think that the use of candles in a power outage is pretty old fashioned. There are so many electronic and battery operated devices that can be used in place of candles. These are the things to use in my opinion.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't no - as even though electricity is very expensive where I live - its actually way more economical for me to use LED bulbs and only have a light on in the room that I'm in - than it would be to use candles - in fact they may even cost more considering that you would probably have to use more than one candle - particularly as a single candle barely gives off enough light to see one foot in front of the other.

In fact now that I'm thinking about - as I did in the past have no option but to use candles a lot every time the power went off - which it does very regularly where I live - I've saved a huge amount - just by switching over to battery operated LED lanterns for emergency use - as they work out considerably cheaper than candles.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, it seems like a dangerous way to save a few bucks. Plus in the summer they will add extra heat to your home so it will cost you more in AC electricity to counteract that. I guess that could save you heating costs in the winter though.
    Also try LED's, the light they produce isn't the most comfortable, but they energy that they use is negligible. Plus LED's have a significantly longer lifespan compares with any other light option.
    Sometimes saving pennies is not worth the risk!
    There are lots of ways to shave $$ off bills, I feel as if this isn't the top choice.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it sounds pretty dangerous too. I do have some candles, for emergencies, but on the whole, I try and save electricity whenever I can so I don't end up having to skimp like this.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This option never really crossed my mind. We only use candles when there's a power outage in the locality. We often have rotating brownouts due to depleting geothermal energy and constant thunderstorms. We're starting to use LED lights in lieu of fluorescent. LED may look costly but its life span is far higher than fluorescent and energy-wise, you can save more with it. It also has a brighter illumination compared to its predecessor.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have invested in flashlights (torch) and rechargeable lamps. When I was younger, we used candles during power outages. But when incidents of fires due to candles often occurred, I decided to do away with candles. We usually have power outages here during typhoons and storms. Candles are cheap but it is a fire hazard so even the bureau of fire advises people not to use candles for their lighting.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Candles are the usual option when there is power outage especially during typhoons. But candles are proven to cause fire mostly due to negligence. In the recent years, we have stopped using candles for lighting as a prevention against fire.

To save on electricity regarding lighting, we all stay in the living room at night so there is only one bulb in use. When the people are scattered in the house, that will cause more bulbs to be lighted.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I use candles during electricity cuts however since candles are more costly and don't last that long, I have shifted to LED light lantern. This gives me powerful light and it lasts very long (months) after charging once.

Our power cuts are infrequent except in Summers.

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Electricity is not that costly in our area. But in future I think all of us have to follow you in this. Due to drastic change in climatic conditions and high usage of electricity there would be acute shortage of electricity unless we find new ways to generate power.

It is really commendable that you save 30% of electricity cost by following this simple rule. But I wonder how it is possible to spend our time without electricity. Even our computers need electricity. Even if we operate it on batter any we are going to use electricity for recharging it.

I think instead of candles you can look for something like solar powered lights which are easily available online and is not that much costly too.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    We did once but because the city didn't have any light for a few days but I wouldn't do it on a daily basis as I find it dangerous for my child. I rather be safe than sorry so I opt to pay a bit more for that. I have heard about many house burning stories with candles that traumatized me.

17. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used candles with saving purposes, the only time I resort to them these days is when we have an electricity cut and we are without a light. Fortunately this doesn't happen too often, in the past years I recall it happening a couple of times at the most. Electricity is just too convenient to be replaced by candles.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not going to like that kind of arrangement where I have to put off electric lights and switch to candle to save cost. I'd rather reduce the lights to a single bulb on in the room where I need light. I'd ensure to use energy saving appliances and find a way to put off all other electronics with a single bulb left on. With that said, why would electricity be so expensive these days when there are several ways to generate it.

19. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    If you are using enough candles to read by without ruining your sight, you are using enough to risk burning the house down. Running an LED light strong enough to read by should not be more than a few cents per hour, cheaper than most candles. About the same amount of energy is used by a single 5 watt equivalent bulb and a smoke detector. And I do hope you are using a smoke detector if you are using naked flames.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to light candles but only in an emergency when we had no inverter. In fact use of candles would be costlier than use of electricity which is far cheaper and more useful. Yes I am also using LED bulbs of different rating right from 9 to 30 according to use which provides better light on low consumption.