Do You Ensure Optimum Utilization Of Your Refrigerator?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by luckycharm • Jan 29, 2017.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    It is said that refrigerators are one of the highest contributors in your electricity bills at home. There are many things we can do to ensure its optimum utilization like :
    • Always opt for 5 star rated refrigerators if you are looking for a new one.
    • A refrigerator uses less electricity if there is enough space for free flow of cold air. So never over stuff it with unnecessary things.
    • Never place warm or hot item inside the refrigerator. It will not only damage your fridge but also increase your electricity consumption.
    • Go for an automatic version (I think modern refrigerators are already automatic).
    • Do not use big utensils to store small quantity of food.
    • Keep liquids covered as moisture from the liquid can adversely affect the condenser performance.
    • Needless to mention; keep the door closed.

2. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Generally, the domestic refrigerators are of 60 watt. They do not draw much of electricity per hour. The new age ones are even more energy efficient.
    However, this is one household appliance which never goes on rest. Owing to which, the overall consumption surpasses many of other higher energy consuming devices.
    I try to take care of all the above mentioned steps to minimize the consumption. We use stabilizers as well which keeps the consumption stable along with saving the device from high power surge.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you but we must consider that more stars means a higher price. You should check it that is it worth paying more for 5 star to save more than you spend? I have a 3 star refrigerator of 255 lit capacity which consumes 380 units per year. I bought it last year and when I bought this one I checked consumption rating of 5 star version of the same company that was almost $80 more than this one. I am not sure if I would save as much on electricity bills as much the price difference in next 5 years though.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have 2 refrigerators at home. The older one is used as reserve only while the new refrigerator is the regular now. When there is an occasion, we turn on the reserve. On regular days, we avoid filling the refrigerator with too much cargo like soda cans or bottled water. We only cool the soda that we will drink. The refrigerator's motor works hard when it is overfilled with contents.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It is true that a refrigerator is probably one of those items that never really gets rest unless tr is a power cut or when you decide to thaw.

I try to do all that OP has mentioned and have a 4 star fridge. I also use stabilizer to prevent power surges problems.

6. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    We don't really do well with regards to packing. We bought the most efficient fridge we could, but we have little space in the kitchen so it is almost always full. It doesn't always get cleaned out as often as it should, although cleaning a fridge out also helps with energy efficiency.

If it is a fridge/freezer, de-icing the freezer compartment and making sure you don't pack it so full the door doesn't seal will also make it more efficient and save energy.

7. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I agree my refrigerator is being over used, I never knew of these useful hints by OP to maximize the efficiency of our refrigerators. This is an interesting piece of information, I have noted some points. For example, I am in the habit of keeping small amount of foods using big utensils and secondly I wasn't aware that over stuffing of the refrigerator can cause it to use more of electricity. I would experiment on these points and see how it goes.